Drivetrain For 383 Stroker? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2010, 07:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Drivetrain For 383 Stroker?

I hope someone can help here, I have a 69 camaro with a 10 bolt rear end with 4:10 gears. I also have a T5 (5 speed) transmission out of my 91 camaro that was custom installed into the 69. The motor I am running is a 350 with "some" balls, but not the power I am looking for. I ONLY drive this car on the street once a week or every two weeks, so it is just a fun car. I do not ever intend on drag racing this car.

So my question is this, I want to build a 450 Hp or so 383 stroker. Can I get away with this with the current drivetrain I have supporting it? I dont really want to put in a new rear or trans in the car....but if I had to, what rear and or trans would you suggest. Ideally I could just build the stroker and drop it in and run it respectfully. I really do not have the money to replace the whole drivertrain at this time. Any thoughts from you hot rod techs out there would be very much appreciated!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 08:32 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

You should be fine with your described use plan. My 383 has a 700R4 and an older 10 bolt with 3.36 gears and the tires will light up before anything breaks, but of course the 2600 pound pickup does not offer quite the same inertia as your 3400 pound car. If you keep the 4.11 gearing, you can get wheel spin pretty easy as well.

Trees
Old 03-29-2010, 12:21 AM
Engine Builder/Head Porter

Very simple and inexpensive to build a 450 hp 383 and a good choice. Torque on the other hand will match if not exceed the hp numbers. Your current drivetrain should be fine provided you don't run a slick on it. Be alot of fun on the street with this. If you need any help with a combination, let me know.

Kris
Old 03-29-2010, 08:31 AM

Thank you both Trees and Kris!

Kris, what would you recommend on a 383 Stroker combo. I have aluminum performer RPM heads and the Performer RPM Intake manifold from Edelbrock already. I have a Holly Street Avenger 750 Vac. Carb.

I would like to use as much of my current equipment as possible to build this 383 to save money if possible. The 350 block is 4 bolt main but it has been bored to .80 over according to the race shop that built it 9 years ago. He said it had very thick walls so they were able to do this? Since the re-build I only have probably 2,000 miles on it!! It has (I think) Kieth Black Hypertectic Flat Top Pistons. Block was race preped, decked and honed? does that make sense. I cannot find the paperwork on the work that was done, but it was pretty extensive. The engine builder estimated 375-400 horse power when he built it. NO Dyno though

I still want to be able to run pump gas, but looking for more fun to drive on the streets. I never intend to drag race this car. Right now it is just not that fun to stomp on it. Another issue I have is that my car has 4:10 gears in the 10 Bolt. My first gear ratio is like 3.25 in the T5 Transmission and i have to shift so fast from first to second, it does not feel like I get much out of 1st gear. I am thinking of putting an Eaton Posi into the 10 bolt, would this be a good time to change to a 3:73 gear or so?

Any help or thoughts would be great

Thanks again

Ben
Old 03-29-2010, 03:22 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

With 4.10's and a 3.25:1 first gear in the trans its not surprising you are not getting much use out of first.

Dropping down to a 3.42 or 3.55 would be much better.

A combined (trans first gear X rear gear ratio) first gear ratio of between 10:1 and 12:1 is about right. presently you are at 13.35:1

The performer rpm heads have a lot of power potential well beyond what you get "out of the box" but you need to port them and get a real cam and headers/exhaust system that works together to make power. You can easily get the 450hp you are looking for using your existing 350 flat top piston short block. You don't need to build a 383.

Think mechanical roller street cam and full ported heads + big tube headers and 2.5" ++ dual exhaust.

Then you will need some high traction rear tires to put the power to the ground.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.