Driving Drunk - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 03:12 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Driving Drunk

I have been trying to figure how to word this,which is why I did not teell about it earlier this morning when I got on here.I in no way condone drinking and driving.I have been hit by a drunk driver before and cut him no slack when it came to foolow ups with the police and insurance. I do not have any problems with a person having some drinks,just know when enough is enough.That being said.......

Last nite on my way to work,I was traveling North on I-65.I see a guy in a Ford truck,testing two lanes of 5-lane freeway.I can tell when someone is drunk or when they are simply not paying attention.After getting closer,I decide to get around him,if he wrecks in front of me,then I may be involved in it also.I fly by and so does a cluster of about six cars. The interchange from I-65 to I-264 is a sharp grade,with rock walls where they blasted the hills away to put the road down. In my rear view mirror,I can see this guy leave the road,at 55 + MPH. He travels 7 or 8 feet off the road,hits the wall on the left side,bounces off and hits it again.I started to slow down, to get over to check on this numbskull.While still watching my mirror,I see him enter a plain area,then BAM,he is gone.I get stopped,run back to the accident and when I get there,I see that there is a 30 foot steep grade drop-off.This guy went straight down,hit a guardrail,that luckily stopped him,since it is intended to protect cars on that lower level exit. He hit hard enough with the front,that the tailgate blew off and was on the ground. There were no skid marks or grass tore up,he NEVER hit the brakes. The guy falls out of his truck.I yell to him that help is coming and to stay ther,do not move. He is bent over and crawling away. I was on the phone with 911,telling them to send EMS since this guy was gonna need checked out. The grade was steep and I had to lean back and balance my hands on the ground behind me to get down to him.When I finally got down there he had disappeared. I checked in the truck for passengers and there was no one else in the cab. I started to get upset that 6 cars or more were in this cluster,they all saw it and no one else so much as stopped to help.I waited 1 hour for the responders to arrive,they never showed up. Ihad climbed back up the hill and waited.Gave clear directions to which ramp I was on,the mile marker,the direction and the interchange sign where I was parked. Two ambulances drove by me on the side of the road at around 40 MPH.I began to wave and both times the ambulance drove straight by. The guy driving was probably less than 23 years old.That was a young man who was hurt and no one came to help him.I got in my van and circled around the area where this happened.The Airport,the Fair and Expo center is there(You guys who come to the NSRA Nationals ,know about this tangled mess of ramps by the fairgrounds)There are multiple hotels and I could never find him. I drove back to the accident after work and took a few pics. They did not turn out to great as it was 5:30 AM. I am going back and take some tomorrow.That is if the truck is still there. It will be hard to get it up that hill. Like I said,I do not condone driving dru\nk. But I do not think that he should have been left there to die. There is no way he is not messed up,and no one stopped to help and Emergency response never showed up. I am thinking about calling a local news channell and see if they get reports on this type of thing from time to time. There is no excuse for EMS not getting there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dui crash.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	3636  

Advertisement

Last edited by RCastle; 01-13-2005 at 03:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2005, 03:15 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last photo:

One more....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pic. 2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	3637  
Old 01-13-2005, 03:31 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

So...nobody showed??

Was the truck still there later after work? Sounds like emergency response didn't understand your instructions.

Tazz
Old 01-13-2005, 03:35 PM
waynenewtoneVil

Last journal entry: plans
Last photo:

Gotta like that. I watched a drunk flip his Rodeo down a 40ft embankment about a month ago. The guy wanted to kick my ***** when I told him I called for help. He was too trashed to wander very far. It took them about 10 minutes to get to him, but we were just outside of town. I can't believe there was no follow-up on your case. You'd of thought they would have atleast impounded the truck.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:42 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last photo:

There is no way they did not understand my directions.I told them the EXACT mile marker,exit ramp number. She repeated them back to me,even took my cell phone number as a call back reference.I saved the call info on my phone even. There was just a failure of communication between 911 and EMS. I have worked on trucks for 10 years,in those 10 years I have traveled everywhere for road repairs.Furthest I had to travel to repair was Kenova West Virginia. I know how to understand mile markers and exit/interchange designators. They simply dropped the ball. All the ramps here in Louisville have their own identifing sign as to what ramp you are on,where it leads and is always designated by a direction.Not the typical Green Interstae sign.These are blue signs the size of a speed limit sign in a residential area,with all info to where you are.That is the exact info I gave the dispatcher.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pic 3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	3638  
Old 01-13-2005, 08:23 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Well atleast you tired to help. Right now I would call the police, 911, it seems no one went looking for the guy. Guy could be laying someone where dying for all we know.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:37 PM
DriveItLikeItsSupostToBeD riven

Last photo:

you must have started to get real mad after waiting that long when no help was coming
Old 01-14-2005, 06:44 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last photo:

It is upsetting to think that if my wife and kids were in a wreck,or someone you know or even yourself,that you could lay there until the next day or worse if the communication breakdown is that bad.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:50 PM
DriveItLikeItsSupostToBeD riven

Last photo:

did you try calling 911 a second time after they didn't come for a long time?
Old 01-14-2005, 10:17 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last photo:

No,I put trust thatthey would send help.I did explain in detail to two different dispatchers. I decided to look for the guy on my own.Never found him.Ended up being more than two hours late to work waiting.They told me to wait there until help arrived. Probably shuld have called them back. But never should have had to consider that option.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:25 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Hey Ron, you did what others didnt. You went there and tried to save the dudes life. 6 other cars didnt. You did what you could and should be very proud of that.

Mike
Old 01-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last photo:

Yeah,but it is still upsetting.Never found him,do not know if it would have turned into something bad or what.You ever deal with someone tthat intoxicated,or high on something there is no telling what could have happened. Just would like to know if the guy is allright.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:46 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Call the local police department. For all we know they may have never looked for him or found his truck.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last photo:

Think Ill drive over tomorrow,going to my Grandmothers with my kigs,and it is close.If the trucks still there will call police.

Speaking of police, You do not need to clicky,just read it as one word. Seems as though someone would have caught it before they plastered it on the back of every cop car in the city and started a page for it. http://www.lmpdky.org/
Old 01-15-2005, 09:38 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

if i was the driver of the truck i would say:
thank you for trying to help me.

quit trying to find me! i ran away so i wouldnt get a dui! if i'm not there then i can't get a d.u.i no matter what.

i'll come bacck when i'm sober.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.