drop axle help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010, 10:52 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

drop axle help

I am planning to use a forward sprung axle and spring assembly (after market unit off a friends '37) on a build of a '29 roadster. I realize this is an unusual and odd combination. The axle I have is tube design with 4 bar and uses a welded on perch mount instead of the original bone set up for the spring mount. The unit came to me from an IFS conversion and it was a driving functional assembly when removed. The frame I am using is also a left over from a previous build that received a new tube frame. It's a modified frame(somewhat reminiscent of a pinched 32) and there is plenty of room for a modified front cross member to accept the forward spring. The grill shell / hood arrangement also allows for the extra forward space so appearance is not an issue. Unfortunately I have limited experience with drop axles and application. I believe the only issue with using a forward mounted spring axle assembly on a 28 through 32 is space but would like other opinions before I start welding. The Idea of this build is to try and utilize 20 years of collected parts and while swapping for a traditional spring over axle is an option, unless there are some handling issues or other real world application problem I would like to use the forward sprung axle. Thoughts and comments related to the viability of this application or any associated driving concerns are greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 12:08 PM

Last photo:

Not really clear what your trying to do by your explanation. I did a swap similar to what your talking about. It is possible to put it in, however final adjustments and setup can be tricky. The axle needs to be straight and true, steering linkage is a factor. I did everything possible and after I installed the axle and had everything looking good, I had a lot of bumpsteer, (car jumps into another lane for no reason). I had to shorten the draglink and steering box arm considerably. At the straight ahead position, the steering arm should be straight down and the draglink connecting to the steering arm needs to be hortizonal. I had a heck of time getting that adjusted. It definitely improved the bumpsteer and the alignment adjustment also made a difference. I understand why people install IFS front ends though. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the response, I guess I wrote a lot and really said very little. The actual question was aimed at using a spring forward assembly versus the normal spring over axle combination. I have seen very few 28 through 32's with that type axle arrangement. I assumed the combo was not desirable because of the space that set up requires. I was actually asking if a spring forward drop axle offers any negative performance issues on a light car versus the spring over. Your comments are helpful and appreciated. Over the last 20 years I have changed out a number of beam axles for IFS but never installed or ran a drop axle. The axle in question is actually a take out from a friends '37 that we converted to IFS several years ago.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:03 PM

Last photo:

I understand what your trying to accomplish. Give these guys a call or email them. They are sharp on this subject and will help. Especially prior to cranking up that welder.

http://www.rodfactory.com/NewFiles/28-31%20drop.html
Old 05-02-2010, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the link, I really appreciate the help.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:37 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcrest1
The actual question was aimed at using a spring forward assembly versus the normal spring over axle combination. I have seen very few 28 through 32's with that type axle arrangement. I assumed the combo was not desirable because of the space that set up requires. I was actually asking if a spring forward drop axle offers any negative performance issues on a light car versus the spring over. Your comments are helpful and appreciated. Over the last 20 years I have changed out a number of beam axles for IFS but never installed or ran a drop axle. The axle in question is actually a take out from a friends '37 that we converted to IFS several years ago.
That mid '30's thru '48 stock style setup (spring in front of the axle) when used on a Model 'A' or a '32 looks odd. That's one reason it isn't done very often. If the front crossmember is not relocated, then the wheelbase will end up being shorter and the handling may be affected negatively. If a full fendered car, the view from the side will look very odd and the tires will probably rub the fenders. Moving the front crossmember to keep the wheelbase the same as original will solve handling and the odd appearance from the side.

It would be a lot simpler to just install an over the axle spring to that dropped axle. No crossmember changes would be required and the look will be correct.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the perspective. The frame has been z'ed and the current cross member is just tacked in so moving it for corrected wheel base isn't an issue.
I have several axles in various condition from earlier IFS conversions but this one (the spring forward) is the most complete. Unfortunately it's also an odd axle in that it has all welded fixtures. The four link brackets are welded to the axle and the spring perch is also a welded bracket. I have no idea on the axles brand other than to say it was professionally welded (purpose built) and was under a '37 resto originally built in the late 70's or early 80's. I do have a separate 4 bar and bat wing set up, new spindles, hubs, tie rod and drag link assembly for a spring over. I am minus a good axle spring hangers and spring but the more I hear it would seem that my best bet may be to buy a lucky 7 or Bell axle and go with a more common spring over set up. Again thanks for taking the time to respond. I've not set up a beam axle before and want to make the best choice.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.