Drop axle or IFS? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2009, 01:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Drop axle or IFS?

I'm looking for ideas on front suspension for my 27' Model-t-crew I'm building.

I know there is lots of kits out there but I like reusing factory parts instead of using shiny new ones that cost lots.

Is there any car or truck that I could get a drop axle from that would be fairly cheap to convert to disk brakes? I have 5x4.5" bolt pattern rims I want to use.

Also, is there any good ifs suspensions out there that are good bang for the buck? And, is a pinto or Mustang II factory suspension even worth dragging home?

Thanks, Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 01:40 PM
boatbob2

front axle......

Hi,FORGET the pinto or mustang i/s,they will look like crapola on an open car (no fenders) if using fenders,they MAY look OK.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

If you are fortunate to have some of the parts laying about then it can be fairly inexpensive..If not then I would go to someone like Speedway motors and get the pieces that you need for the front end..IFS on a early Ford just does not look good and a wrecking yard IFS is bulky and looks ugly under one of those cars though we do get away with that on some of the later full fendered cars..The 5x4.5 bolt pattern is not an issue as there are rotors drilled for that bolt pattern available for early Ford spindles..Cost wise I have fought the battle and found for that it is cost effective to just bite it and get a proper axle, spindles and rotors in the first instance..You can save considerable by going to paint and powder coat on the front end components and wind up with some handsome detail..Personally I find life gets a lot easier if one uses the stock drop axle and relocates the spring perch higher in the chassis to get the finished ride height one wants..This is the Old Skool way of doing it dating from the days when we did not have all the choices we have now and no money either...

Just my opinion..

Sam
Old 11-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbob2
Hi,FORGET the pinto or mustang i/s,they will look like crapola on an open car (no fenders) if using fenders,they MAY look OK.
And they are way too light a duty front end for a T - crew IMHO.
Just find a 40 back Ford front axle setup and adapt it.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 11-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

The Mustang front ends don't look right on them,I would go with the drop axle..
Old 11-17-2009, 04:05 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

easiest/ cheaper just to get a drop axle front end kit from Speedway. there only $469 for the plain kit.. then you could ither order there spindle and brake kit for another $500 or those parts should be able to be found used.. '49-'54 Chevy spindles or '37-'48 Spindles
Old 11-17-2009, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

Old Ford axles look good. Old Mopar tube axles (36 ish). Early Ford Econoline. Early Chevy van, early Dodge van. All can be made to look good on a "Bucket" Disc brake kits are available.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Just find a 40 back Ford front axle setup and adapt it.
I have two model A's (1928 & 1931) at the farm. Is there any five lug (5x4.5) disk brake setup out there for those type of spindles? Or are those axles just to weak and a waste of time to use?
Old 11-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Perfect and if you have the spindles and wishbones, tie rods and all that even more perfect..Freshen up the kingpins and bushings and split the wishbones and you are on the way..I would need to do some checking to see about the disk brake kit as the ones I see listed are for 37-48 spindles but I am sure that there is a kit for your spindles..Might have to go to Wilwood or total performance for that kit..Of course doing your own kit is doable..Details details you see...

Sam
Old 11-18-2009, 01:37 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Speedway has an adaptor to fit the same disc brakes on the model A spindles but I think they take machining
Old 11-23-2009, 09:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
If you are fortunate to have some of the parts laying about then it can be fairly inexpensive..If not then I would go to someone like Speedway motors and get the pieces that you need for the front end..IFS on a early Ford just does not look good and a wrecking yard IFS is bulky and looks ugly under one of those cars though we do get away with that on some of the later full fendered cars..The 5x4.5 bolt pattern is not an issue as there are rotors drilled for that bolt pattern available for early Ford spindles..Cost wise I have fought the battle and found for that it is cost effective to just bite it and get a proper axle, spindles and rotors in the first instance..You can save considerable by going to paint and powder coat on the front end components and wind up with some handsome detail..Personally I find life gets a lot easier if one uses the stock drop axle and relocates the spring perch higher in the chassis to get the finished ride height one wants..This is the Old Skool way of doing it dating from the days when we did not have all the choices we have now and no money either...

Just my opinion..

Sam

I agree call Speedway and get a quote. It is the easiest, safest and most economical option and it will look good when your done. IFS just doesn't look good and is not worth the hassle. Here are two pics of simular cars one with a drop axle the other with modern IFS. You decide what looks better.

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nat430[1].jpg
Views:	124
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	42157   Click image for larger version

Name:	nat0659[1].jpg
Views:	130
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	42158  

Last edited by RODDER18; 11-23-2009 at 09:56 PM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.