drop coat for metallic - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2010, 09:28 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

drop coat for metallic

Should a drop coat be done panel at a time or wait till the complete car has the last coat and then do a drop coat all over. Panel at a time while still wet would seem like it would mess up the last panel that was drop coated. I hope you can uderstand this question, I don't know another way to word it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2010, 09:33 AM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

Are you painting in pieces or all together? If it is all together you paint each coat completely around the car. Drop coat is the same.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:09 AM

The question was based on painting a car all together and the only reason was because most people say you can't get a good color match painting in pieces. I've seen some cars painted in pieces and the metallics/color looks fine. If it was a solid color I would do it in pieces, still havn't decided how I'm gonna paint this one.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:02 AM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

Yes, painters paint cars in pieces ALL the time and dont have problems with them matching. BUT, you won't KNOW it doesn't match until you get the pieces together on the car. Then, what are you going to do. There is a high dollar shop here in a suburb of KC that built a Cougar convert that has been in the magazines. I seen it up close at GoodGuys last year. I could tell from 100 yards away that the car was painted in pieces. There are ways to lessen the chances of a mis-match by painting the pieces the way they are on the car. But then you have to be SUPER carefull assembling everything. If you feel comfortable in your abilities, then paint in pieces. If not, or you just don't want to take a chance, unbolt everything, edge everything in and the reassemble. If you scratch the edges of anything, they can be repaired when you paint the outside. Then you are GUARANTEED the panels will match each other.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:39 AM

Last photo:

I only paint a panel or two at a time, and go back right away and drop coat them. The idea is you still want it to be wet enough to accept your drop coat, so the drop coat is not just sitting in a dry thin coat on tp. Too dry, and besides a rougher surface to bury in the clear, Its possible that the adhesion-life of the clear coat could be affected.
Some times you are forced to dry spray the basecoat, like to form a barrier when doing a repair and it wants to attack and lift a cutthrough, but in general a dryly sprayed base is not the best practice. The goal is to spray the base on smooth and wet, not overly wet and heavy that can cause problems like solvent trapment and will only contribute to mottling, but not dry either, if that makes any sense.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.