Drop Spindle Problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2004, 11:34 PM
www.airriderz.com

Wiki Edits: 0

Drop Spindle Problems

I have read most of the drop spindle/disc convertion topics. But I did not see the problem I am having.... Please take a look at this website and give me your thougts.....

Front End Problem

My car is a 66 Impala..... And I am at my wits end with these drop spindles....... Thanks.......

Advertisement

Last edited by black66; 05-27-2004 at 12:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2004, 01:03 PM

Last photo:

Have you talked to the supplier about the problem?? From the ball joint to ball joint measurement it looks like it was intended for a shorter or softer spring. That could solve your hard ride and lack of adjustment problems. The other measurements could be necessary to keep the geometry correct during suspension travel. I've Not messed with dropped spindles so this is Only my guess. I've heard good and bad about dropped spindles. I looked real hard at them for my 53 ford sedan w/351C & C6, but the extra weight and power would have been too much for the old suspension/brakes. I used an 80 Chrysler torsion bar front k-member and rectangular tube front frame section. Got disk brakes and power steering to boot. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:47 PM
www.airriderz.com

Well I had talked with the drop spindle supplier yesterday. They where a little salty with me on the phone. Saying that the spindles where correct and I must have installed something wrong....... That was until I showed them the pictures..... Got love those digital cameras..... And you are correct about drop spindles. I too, have heard good and bad storys... Hopefully they will take care of this.....

Thanks a bunch.....

Dave
Old 05-27-2004, 08:04 PM
www.airriderz.com

McGauphy's Drop Spindles

Has anyone had any experience with drop spindles from a company called McGauphy's? If so, please share you experience..... Thanks......

Dave
Old 05-27-2004, 11:19 PM
www.airriderz.com

65 66

Here is a shot of a 65 Impala passenger side . And my 66. 65 has stock spindles. I have drop spindles. 65 is up in the air. My 66 is on the ground.....

Dave
Old 05-28-2004, 06:31 PM
OddJob

Last photo:

From the link you provided I would say you got the wrong ones.
From what I understand drop spindles shouldn't change any geometry of the front end. All the mounting points should be the same as the factory ones. It should only be the axle shaft on the spindle that is moved upwards between to two.
Your springs shouldn't bend to the side like they do.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:30 PM
www.airriderz.com

I have a new pair of spindles on their way. Hopefully they will be correct one.......

Dave
Old 05-29-2004, 12:48 PM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by black66
I have a new pair of spindles on their way. Hopefully they will be correct one.......

Dave
That sounds great. You might check those springs also. They appear to be too long for your application. Let us know of your progress. Good luck!
Old 05-29-2004, 02:56 PM
www.airriderz.com

spindles

Yeah I just purchased the new springs from Summit two weeks ago. The are Moog springs and I double checked the parts number. Before the Moog springs I had new McQuay Norris springs in. Same problem........ That is why I took the McQuay Norris springs back I had figured they where the wrong spring type/rate........

It almost seems if I had custom springs made with a two or three inch drop the spindles would then work out great.....

I will let you know as soon as I get the new spindles...... Thanks......

Dave

Almost forget. Has anyone had any experience with www.performancesuspension.com. I would like to find some other 65 - 67 Impala guys who have used McGauphy drop spindles for there impalas..... Thanks.....

Dave

Last edited by black66; 05-29-2004 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:21 PM
www.airriderz.com

yeah baby.....!!!!

I called summit today and they had given me the heavy duty big block springs. So I said the heck with that and put in my old springs that where cut 1.5 coils. But I cut another .5 coil off each. So now the car has a really nice stance.

I checked the camber and the tires are right on the money. And best of all...... Rides great..... I still think there is an issue with the drop spindles, being that I had to use cut coils to run them.
But I am veryy happy with the ride. It is plush, but firm. And I think the Edelbrock IAS shocks up front really help keep the car in line. I can not wait to get the front end aligned. Should be like a whole new car to drive.......

Thanks everyone for the help.....

Dave

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.