Drop spindles? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:34 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,015
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 719
Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
This was my brothers 59 Chevy wagon he had in the early seventies with raise spindles. It was a foot over stock!





It was a super nice car (only about 13 years old remember) that our dad took in as a trade in for only $750. It was exactly as seen but had the same 6" wide Americans in back. Those 10 inch wide Chrome wheels, they were on a number of cars and are on his truck (our fathers 55 F-100) today. He had the offset changed so they are tucked in.



Brian

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:34 PM
John long's Avatar
Slow but willing learner
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Age: 68
Posts: 2,046
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 944
Thanked 732 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastal_12147 View Post
if it's as rough as you're saying i don't envy you
To be honest I just sold an 85 Camino with cut front coils. It had good soft suspension bumpers and wasn't terrible but the spindles are by far better. There are thousands of cars running around with cut coils and their drivers are happy. After all they lowered theirs for free.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:40 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,015
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 719
Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Yeah, it isn't hack or anything like that, if you want to give it a go, pull the springs out cut a few coils off them and put them back in. The bad thing is you really are guessing how much it's going to go. Don't think if you cut 2" of the height of the spring it's going to drop 2". You change the spring rate when you cut them so it's a bit of a guess. You could also go the heating route. Put some blocks under the car at a little higher than the height you want and heat the springs with a torch until it sags down to the blocks then let it cool a good long time. Now this is a bit hack, but it's been done for years. Cutting them of course is way better, just don't go too far because then geometry gets all goofed up. But just a little lowering, a tasteful lowering, it isn't that big of a deal.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:40 PM
John long's Avatar
Slow but willing learner
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Age: 68
Posts: 2,046
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 944
Thanked 732 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
This was my brothers 59 Chevy wagon he had in the early seventies with raise spindles. It was a foot over stock!





It was a super nice car (only about 13 years old remember) that our dad took in as a trade in for only $750. It was exactly as seen but had the same 6" wide Americans in back. Those 10 inch wide Chrome wheels, they were on a number of cars and are on his truck (our fathers 55 F-100) today. He had the offset changed so they are tucked in.



Brian
I'll take the truck thanks. Back in the day,we used to send axles Moredrop to get them reforged and dropped. The natural result or reforging them is that it narrows the axle slightly allowing for wider wheels. Last I heard they are still in business but it costs more to have an axle dropped than it does to buy a new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:50 PM
John long's Avatar
Slow but willing learner
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Age: 68
Posts: 2,046
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 944
Thanked 732 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Yeah, it isn't hack or anything like that, if you want to give it a go, pull the springs out cut a few coils off them and put them back in. The bad thing is you really are guessing how much it's going to go. Don't think if you cut 2" of the height of the spring it's going to drop 2". You change the spring rate when you cut them so it's a bit of a guess. You could also go the heating route. Put some blocks under the car at a little higher than the height you want and heat the springs with a torch until it sags down to the blocks then let it cool a good long time. Now this is a bit hack, but it's been done for years. Cutting them of course is way better, just don't go too far because then geometry gets all goofed up. But just a little lowering, a tasteful lowering, it isn't that big of a deal.

Brian
One other thing. When you alter your springs you will absolutely have to have car aligned. With the spindles it will have little effect on alignment other than caster. The reason it effects caster is because as your front comes down the angle between your ball joints (king pin angle) diminishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2013, 10:10 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,015
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 719
Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I'll take the truck thanks. Back in the day,we used to send axles Moredrop to get them reforged and dropped. The natural result or reforging them is that it narrows the axle slightly allowing for wider wheels. Last I heard they are still in business but it costs more to have an axle dropped than it does to buy a new one.
If I am not mistaken they are out of business. They quality had dropped a LOT over the years. Back "in the day" they did a beautiful job with it looking like it hadn't even been modified. But when I went by there in the seventies the friggin axle looked like pulled taffy, it was a HORRIBLE job. My dad managed a used car lot just down the street and you drove right by Mor-drop to get on the freeway to come home. But honestly, I hear horror stories about the king pin bosses being all distorted, they turned into an out and out hack shop.

The truck by the way is very nice. Our dad bought it in 66, brought home a 58 Buick trade in and a mechanic from the Buick dealer where he worked and the guy swapped in the 364. It was a hack job with the crossmember cut out. We both drove it to school. The frame was replaced and I now have it along with the original bed as my trailer. But this truck is very nice, the only mistake my brother regrets is the Cordova front suspension, he HATES it. But all in all it runs and drives nice.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 04-12-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2013, 10:12 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,015
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 719
Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
One other thing. When you alter your springs you will absolutely have to have car aligned. With the spindles it will have little effect on alignment other than caster. The reason it effects caster is because as your front comes down the angle between your ball joints (king pin angle) diminishes.
Any change is corrected with one little shim.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2013, 10:14 PM
John long's Avatar
Slow but willing learner
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Age: 68
Posts: 2,046
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 944
Thanked 732 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Any change is corrected with one little shim.

Brian
LOL You just have to pay the guy to know which one and where.

John L
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Napa , Ca.
Posts: 295
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Brian , The extended spindals in the 59 Chevy wagon brings back good memorys for me. In the early 70's I had a 65 Olds 442 that had 6 inch extended spindals in front and Ford station wagon leaf springs in the rear, The Olds road great and handled good too, all the suspension work was done by Al's automotive in South San Francisco. I sold it in 74, sure wish I knew where it is now.
Gene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2013, 10:57 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,015
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 719
Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Gene, I think that may be the place that did my brothers 59! I am going to fire him an email right now. That name rings a bell.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 04-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: TN
Posts: 424
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
One caution when installing dropped spindles. The ground clearance under the front of the car will be reduced by the amount of the spindle drop. If you have 4 inches of clearance and put in 1 inch drop spindles, your ground clearance will be reduced to 3 inches.

The approach to avoid this is to "Z" the frame behind the front wheels. This allows the body and sheet metal to drop while maintaining the front ground clearance, but the engine moves up closer to the underneath of the hood.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best drop spindles Mutt's37Buick Suspension - Brakes - Steering 2 02-06-2012 08:22 AM
drop spindles caletcb Hotrodding Basics 3 12-09-2009 04:02 PM
drop spindles bobrefill Suspension - Brakes - Steering 1 10-31-2004 05:46 AM
Drop Spindles black66 Suspension - Brakes - Steering 1 08-07-2003 04:32 PM
drop spindles madhat Suspension - Brakes - Steering 2 04-27-2003 07:44 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.