Hot Rod Forum banner

dropped axle

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  user151 
#1 ·
Any recommendations on a drop axle complete kit supplier? Who makes the best? Thank you

#5 ·
drop axle

thank you 151, I will check them out. i was just hoping to hear others opinions on what works good and what they are happy with as well. I-beam vs tube, hairpins vs 4 link and bones, spring over vs spring behind, mono leaf vs multi etc.....thanks again

#6 ·
I always use the TCI axle and 4 bar pieces.

They sit low and handle well ...

Some years ago, Rod & Custom magazine had a article about a road test. It was Gray Baskerville's 32 roadster Versus Jerry Kugel's Jaguar IFS/IRS 32 roadster. Baskerville's roadster beat the Kugel roadster in a few areas. Overall the test was considered a draw. A well set up 4 bar dropped axle car handles very well.

BOTH ... the 32 roadsters are well known in the Hot Rod world ... and BOTH are in the Los Angeles area.

#7 ·
I like Henry's original axles...they look the best IMHO and are genuine forged from Ford's own recipe steel.

Chassis engineering would be my second choice. I have had two and they are nice units but not as pretty as the Ford units.

Depending on what style of car you are building you can use a split wishbone, hairpin or four bar.... your choice but split bones and hair pins look 'right' on an open wheel car...again IMHO.

I prefer P&J or SoCal hairpins and batwings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.