Dropped axle in '59 Chevy Pickup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2009, 11:47 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dropped axle in '59 Chevy Pickup

If any of you are considering lowering the front of your '55-'59, I just installed a dropped axle in mine & I'm glad I did. I was really looking at going with a Camaro clip or Mustang II, but I ended up with just installing a 4" dropped axle instead. Here's the link...
my dropped axle install
Click on "View as Slideshow" & you can adjust the speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2009, 12:15 PM

your dropped axle

i like tha look. i am probly gonna do the same set up on the front of my apache. same year, diff color. i am in the process of doin patch panel work. curious to what u did to the rear suspension if anythang. did the installation paperwork tell u how to adjust for the drag link clearance problems or did u just have to figure it out on your own. i am pretty mechanically inclined but this type of suspension work is new to me. buildin this truck for my daddy for fathers day so i gotta get cookin on it. thanks. if u want to answer, could u just send to my email, that is easier for me at jnlperkins@comcast.net. thanks, jay.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:56 PM

Last photo:

Hi, the entire job wasn't too bad. I've never done a axle swap before I did mine, so I was a newbie too. The most difficult part of the job was seperating the drag link from the pitman arm (the pitman arm is attached to the steering box). After I got that off, I just took the drag link & attached steering arm to a machine shop to have them seperated. As for instructions, their wasn't any. The guy that modified the axle just "told" me how to do it with email & a couple of phone calls. The reason I did the web page was to add some instructions to it.

About the easiest thing to do would be to remove the drag link & both steering arms & send them to Sid. He needs to modify all 3 pieces to make it all work together with his axle. The steering arm mod is for 2 reasons: it lowers the tie rod to go below the leaf springs side to side (it would hit the springs with the unmodified arms), & it allows the use of new style tie rod ends. The drag link mod is to prevent bump-steer. The idea is to keep the drag link parallel with the frame. The forward end now attaches to the steering arm from the bottom up, instead of the top down (like the original)
He has axle cores, so I just sent him my steering arms & bought one of his axles. In hindsight, I should have sent him the drag link as well. The drag link just needs to be twisted 180 deg, so if you have a torch & a vice, you could do that at home.

Before you get the steering kit & tie rods from Speedway (like I did), get the axle, drag link, & steering arms installed first. Measure the length from the steering arm tie rod eye-to-eye, then order it.

You will need to get caster shim blocks from Napa. They go between the springs & axle. This allows the axle to "tilt" back for more tie rod clearance.

Good luck!

Oh - the rear is planned for another day

Last edited by Zimmo; 11-30-2009 at 04:07 AM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.