dropped spindles and granada brakes? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2004, 04:20 PM

Last journal entry: finished
Wiki Edits: 0

dropped spindles and granada brakes?

Hey guys,
I have an air ride kit for my '64 Fairlane, but I've been searching around for dropped spindles to get that extra couple inches and really lay it in the weeds, but the only place I've found them was from fatman fabrications. The spindles they have will drop it 3", but they say you have to use 75-80 Granada brakes. Have any of you done this before? I've seen some articles on converting a mustang to granada disk brakes, but will it be the same for the fairlane? Also, how much would would it be to get all the brake parts off of a donor car instead of buying the parts new? The spindles alone are 470 a pair, so if doing the brakes is going to cost a lot, I probably won't be able to do it. Another thing is that I have 14 inch knock off wire wheels... will I have clearance problems?
Also, do any of you know if there are any companies that make dropped spindles for the early 60's ford fullsize, and don't require granada brakes? I'm looking for about a 2 inch drop, but really any drop is fine with me. Thanks a lot in advance for all your help!

~Frank~

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2004, 10:15 PM
WHY NOT?

Last photo:

Frank-

Hey so first i got a question for you about your current suspension setup. You have an air ride system on your fairlanes stock control arms and brakes or is it an MII kit.

Also i do believe fairlanes and falcons and mustangs all shared the same front end from the parts bin so the granada switch will work if your interested i think i have a website saved that goes step by step over it.

In your case i would get bigger brakes than what a granada can offer you cant have to much stopping power than the little discs that came on the granada stock, I think they were 9.5 or 10" discs and that fairlane is farely heavy.

I really think the stock rims wont work probably need 15's or bigger to clear the calipers.. uhhh big rims will look nice with a dropped car though too. just dont go for dubs

Ill get that site though if your interested
Old 02-19-2004, 03:43 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrow

V8 Granada/Monarch brakes are 11". I would try and source them from a donor yard (even though I would put rebuilt loaded calipers and new rotors on it if it were mine). AC-DELCO rebuilds come with all the hardware also.

Just the stock Granada spindle is going to give you 1" to 1 1/2" drop. This is a very common and popular swap.

Old 02-19-2004, 05:36 AM

Thanks for the reply! No I'm not running a MII setup, it's the stock control arms and drum brakes. Yeah I thought that the mustangs falcons and fairlanes all shared parts too, but I wasn't positive. Nothin like getting parts you think will fit, then they're totally wrong . I don't think I can go with much bigger brakes than came stock on the granada (if even those will fit), because I already have the 14 inch wheels. They're not the stock wheels, they're mclean wires, like the ones on the old school lowriders. I did want to tuck a set of 18's under the fenders, but i wasn't sure if I'd have problems steering when the car was slammed, and plus I didn't have the money to spend on the bigger rims. I'd love to see that site, if it's not too much trouble to dig it up! Thanks again for all your help.
Kultulz,
Thanks for your post too! Do you think the 11" brakes will fit with the 14 inch wires? Does the AC-Delco rebuild kit come with rebuilt calipers and new rotors? If not, do you know a place I could find that does sell them? Oooo that 1-1 1/2" drop with the stock granada spindles sounds good to me! I'll get calling the boneyards around here to see what they have, thanks a ton to both of you guys for all your help!

~Frank~
Old 02-19-2004, 08:56 AM
aka Duke of URL

Arrow

Quote:
Do you think the 11" brakes will fit with the 14 inch wires?
The GRANADA swap presents one problem that many don't find out until they try to put their origional wheels back on. The GRANADA rotor hub is larger than the vehicle's you are upgrading to. This may not apply to all custom wheels, but it does usually to factory.

The hub snout can be machind down to accept the earlier wheel. Now, wheel offset. When discs first appeared on FORD's, they usually offset the wheel to clear the caliper. So an early MUSTANG would still use 14" wheels as well as the later GRANADAS. To use an earlier 14" wheel, if the wheel will not slide all the way over the caliper, lay some masking tape on the caliper, mount the wheel as best as you can, and slightly spin the wheel. The resulting marks on the tape will show where a little (gentle) grinding on the caliper hsng. will allow the wheel to slip over it. Always make sure you take this measurement with fresh pads installed.

If the clearance cannot be obtained, you will have to go to 15" or metal spacers with grade 8 longer studs.

Quote:
Does the AC-Delco rebuild kit come with rebuilt calipers and new rotors? If not, do you know a place I could find that does sell them?
Their is no kit per say. The rebuilt calipers come loaded with fresh pads and mounting hardware. The rotors will have to be purchased separately. You might want to have a machine shop mic them (take-offs) to see if there is enough material to run them with a clean up cut to save you a few bucks. I only mentioned AC-DELCO because I have been having good luck with them as BENDIX and others seem to be going offshore for their parts.

Quote:
Oooo that 1-1 1/2" drop with the stock granada spindles sounds good to me! I'll get calling the boneyards around here to see what they have, thanks a ton to both of you guys for all your help!
You should see at least a 1" drop with stock spindles. You can also modify the upper control arm mount to get about another 1" drop.

If you are not going to a MUST II setup, there is a kit that will allow you to widen the spring towers for more room. FAIRLANES are actually smaller in the engine compartment as compared to the FALCON/MUSTANG as they were built on a different platform.

You most likely will have to have the GRANADA spindle ball joint holes modified to fit the FAIRLANE ball joints. FATMAN can do this for you as can some machine shops.

Old 02-19-2004, 06:15 PM
WHY NOT?

Last photo:

Good information you have kultulz, but i was wondering if the spindle and discs off the granada will affect the backspacing on his rims as well?

K heres your site should prove to be pretty useful....
http://www.stuart.iit.edu/students/2...diskbrakes.htm

Also if your looking for something new Dearborn classics offers a kit, just another thing to look at.

For the tie rod dealio visit http://www.mustangsteve.com/tierodbushings.html
there is information to consider but they sell proper bushings to fit the correct tie rods.

I also believe that if your fairlane came with single reservoir master cylinder you will want to convert that to a dual reservoir that is more inteneded for the discs

Last edited by 5.0Falcon; 02-19-2004 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:00 PM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:
Originally posted by 5.0Falcon

I was wondering if the spindle and discs off the granada will affect the backspacing on his rims as well?
I am not sure as he referred to having actual wire wheels with knockoffs. He may have to space the wheels outwards. It is hard to say until he actually performs the swap.

Quote:
I also believe that if your fairlane came with single reservoir master cylinder you will want to convert that to a dual reservoir that is more inteneded for the discs
[color=red]GOOD POINT![/color] He will need the GRANADA master cylinder as well as the proportioning valve for starters. If bias balance cannot be achieved, he will need to go to an adjustable valve.

[color=orange]Am Looking For Factory/Aftermarket Speed Parts For The MEL (Merc-Edsel-Linc-TBird) Engine Family (383-410-430-462) Produced From 1958 To 1968

Also Early FORD Special Service Tools[/color]
Old 02-19-2004, 09:19 PM

Hey Guys,
I just want to say thanks a TON for all this great info, and all the help you've given me. 5.0, thanks for those links, the pictures of all the parts helps out a ton. All the stuff I've been reading online has just shown the pictures when it was on the car, it's easier to understand when they're all on the ground!! Yeah my fairlane did come with the single reservoir master cylinder, one of the articles I read said that you needed to upgrade with the dual, since you need different amounts of fluid for the discs and the drums.
Kultulz,
Yeah I do have the actual wire wheels with knockoffs, the kind with the adapter plate that you bolt on, then slide the wheel over that, and tighten it on with the spinner. I would have to place the whole wheel out farther because of the knock offs? I don't think I can place it too much farther out, because the tire will be tucked up under the fender, and it's already pretty close to rubbing. Also, I know this is probably a real dumb question, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can about suspension... you said I could get another 1" of drop by modifying the upper control arm mounts, how would I do this? I've heard of lowered control arms, but I'm not sure how they work. Could I modify the upper control arm mounts if I didn't swap the granada brakes in, and get the 1" drop still? Sorry I'm so new at this, like I said i'm trying to figure all this stuff out before I dive in and start installing when it gets warmer. Thanks again both of you guys for all the help, I'll keep you updated!!

~Frank~

Last edited by flamedfordbronco; 02-19-2004 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:15 AM
aka Duke of URL

Arrow

Quote:
Yeah I do have the actual wire wheels with knockoffs, the kind with the adapter plate that you bolt on...
That adaptor kit just may well bring the wheel out enough. Most likely, the wheel was designed to clear disc from the get-go.

Quote:
Also, I know this is probably a real dumb question, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can about suspension... you said I could get another 1" of drop by modifying the upper control arm mounts, how would I do this? I've heard of lowered control arms, but I'm not sure how they work. Could I modify the upper control arm mounts if I didn't swap the granada brakes in, and get the 1" drop still?
Nope...Not a dumb question.

-Lowering A MUSTANG (Or Any Model With Spring Above Upper Control Arm-

Old 02-20-2004, 09:40 AM

Hey Kultulz,
You might be right about the adapter kit! It brings the wheels out a little farther than the stock ones come out, but I guess the only way to know would be to try it, huh? . And, thanks a lot for that link! I've seen pictures of the "shelby lowering method" on a thread in this forum, but I didn't quite understand it, but that site cleared it right up. The only thing I'm not sure about is those templates at the end, and if the 64 fairlane would need to have holes drilled in different places than the 65-66 stang. But, I'm going to search around for some more info on that, thanks again for all the help on this!!

~Frank~
Old 02-20-2004, 12:40 PM
aka Duke of URL

The early FAIRLANE suspension (and aprons) are different than the FALCON/MUSTANG. What you would need to do is remove the coil spring, make an aluminum template from the paper template for the early MUSTANG and mock it up before drilling the apron.

You would need to ascertain the correct geometry (caster and camber) before final postioning of the upper control arm. Not all that difficult.

-You May Find More Info Here-

Old 02-20-2004, 05:06 PM

Hey Kultulz,
Thanks for that great site! I haven't seen it before, I just had to make it my homepage . Do you know if I can still relocate the control arms when I have the air ride system on it? would I just relocate when it was at ride height, and then adjust the caster and camber there? Also, since the aprons and suspension is different between the fairlanes and mustangs/falcons, the older mustang template won't work for the fairlane right? How could I figure out where to drill the holes? Thanks again for all this info, and for that awesome site!

~Frank~
Old 02-20-2004, 05:46 PM
aka Duke of URL

Arrow

I am not familiar with the new air-ride systems being introduced today, only with older LINCOLNS.

As for the mounting holes, they should be the same. Print out a template and compare it to your mounting bolts. There are only slight differences...nothing major. Both cars use the same basic design as far as suspension and front apron design.

-Crites Restorations-

There are several ways to improve the front suspension on the FAIRLANE. This will give you even more options.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:06 PM

Kultulz,
Wow I can't understand how you can have so much info in just one head , thanks again for another great site. I'll make that template and tell you how it goes! Thanks for all your help!!!

~Frank~

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.