Drum brakes chevy 69 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2010, 03:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Drum brakes chevy 69

hey guys,
heres what I got, went to bleed the brakes today on my Camaro, ended up changing one of the wheel cylinders and 2 of the bleeder valves. Had my wife pump the brakes while I was bleeding them, I bleed all 4 of them, but the peddle is stilll low to the floor. Didn't really see any air coming out of the lines, but ended up adding fluild before and after I was done, didn't see a single leak. Whats up with the low peddle, can you tell me what I am forgetting to do? thanks JEff this car has been sitting 12 years.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2010, 06:16 PM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Adjust the shoes on all 4 wheels till they drag just slightly, that will reduce the amount of fluid and pedal movement needed to get a firm high pedal. Also, when bleeding, it's much better to open the bleeder and "push" the fluid out, then to "pump up the pedal" then crack the bleeder.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:54 PM

Last photo:

;;;;

thanks Rickracer,
I will do that tomorrow, kink of got a but kicking today, wasn't expecting to have to replace the wheel cylinder and then the jig saw of the drum brake reinstallation,,, lol,,, at least it was only one of the the 4. Jeff
Old 08-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,009 Posts
And most important, did the pedal come up while the bleeder was open?

Brian
Old 08-09-2010, 02:40 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff J
thanks Rickracer,
I will do that tomorrow, kink of got a but kicking today, wasn't expecting to have to replace the wheel cylinder and then the jig saw of the drum brake reinstallation,,, lol,,, at least it was only one of the the 4. Jeff
The problem w/replacing just one slave cylinder, is now the action of it will be different from the other old ones. This can cause the car to pull under braking.

I'd always advise to replace the slaves at least in pairs, front or rear- and in your case, how far behind are the others to the one that had to be replaced? I'd much rather see you replace them all and be done w/it.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:50 PM

Last photo:

ok, got the 2 back wheel cylinders changed, bleed the brakes, everything was looking great,, stomped hard on the breaks 2 times, second time the peddle went all the way down fast, looked under the car and seen a bunch of brake fluid draining out up around the rear end in the middle by the gas tank. Guess one of the lines broke, man, another set back! At least the engine starts. Might put this thing off another 12 years,, lol
Old 08-22-2010, 12:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
The problem w/replacing just one slave cylinder, is now the action of it will be different from the other old ones. This can cause the car to pull under braking.

I'd always advise to replace the slaves at least in pairs, front or rear- and in your case, how far behind are the others to the one that had to be replaced? I'd much rather see you replace them all and be done w/it.
you lost me here? how far behind are the others to the one that had to be replaced?

the 2 back have been replaced. Do you need special brake lines for a certain car, year? I will check out the O Rieleys by me see what they say, or might end up taking the car up to a brake shop and be done! thanks for the help. Jeff
Old 08-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

On a car of that age, you are better off biting the bullet and replacing all the lines at once. Replacing them one at a time is a real pain. I believe there are places taht sell pre-bent lines so it makes replacement a snap.

Chet
Old 08-22-2010, 06:28 PM

Last photo:

thanks T-bucket,
I didn't really look yet for brake lines, but had watched a show on tv where a shop built a brand new conv. 69 camaro, the entire car was new minus the back seat, the only part not remade yet. thanks for the advice, I will take it.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.