Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Drum to disc brakes
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 06:17 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

They will probably fit just fine.
Only issue may be where the brake hose connects to the hard line
drum brakes and Disck brake cars of the era used a different bracket

Some of these kits are kind of pricey
Might be a bit cheaper to acquire the pieces
a bit at a time and go from there.

I used components for a 72 Chevelle on my 66 Elky
Virtually everything you need will be available thru
any local parts store.

(be advised that doing this pushes the front wheels out 9/16" -- even the factory cars had a wider front track) this can be an issue with 15 inch wheels. I have 15x7 on 205-70-15 and get a fender hit on hard turns, stock height.

About all you would need to order would be the brake line kit, and disc brake spindles.

On a 67, your existing hard lines would be okay
the prop valve should work just fine-----I have a 67 valve in my 66 with no issues.
A disc/drum master cylinder will need to sourced and it is good to know that manual brake and power brake master cylinders are different

If going power brakes----and you already have power brakes, your hard lines should work

If you do not have power brakes and are installing power brakes----buy new hard lines for at least the front.

And think a bit ahead-----the right front line is different on a small block car vs a big block car.

If you have any notion at all about putting a big block in your 67----get the brake lines for a big block and stick them in. They are routed differently to not come too close tot he exhaust manifolds on the BBC.

Rotors
Calipers
Bearings
Master cylinder I used a 72 with power.
Booster
brake hoses
All available locally

Disc Brake spindles thru OPGI or virtually any other Chevelle Vendor
Disc brake hose brackets---again--OPGI

But---for a get-it-done-this-weekend job---a complete kit is the way to go