drum to disc conversion. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2004, 03:47 PM
Burnin ruber...raising hell!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

drum to disc conversion.

I was wondering what is the cheapest i could be while doing my drum to disc conversion. I have a 1970 lemans w/o power brakes. I want to put a stronger motor in but my dad will not let me until i get discs up front. i am on a TINY (very small) budget and i was wondering how cheap can i do this... I don even care about using all new componets sheesh actaully i want to use as much used stuff as i possibly can. haha well thanks alot guys anything helps...
-charlie

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2004, 01:25 AM

Last photo:

Wise move on the disc conversion. You'll need spindles, rotors, calipers, caliper brackets, hoses, proportioning valve, master cylinder, backing plates, all associated attaching hardware & plumbing.

Other cars you can use for donors are '69-'72 Chevelle, Cutlass, LeMans, & Skylark. Spindles & rotors from '68-'74 Nova (& clones), & '69 Camaros will fit, but don't use their steering arms, which will bolt up, but will screw up the steering geometry. '67-'68 parts from all those cars will also work, but they use the 4-piston calipers which are prone to leakage & more expensive to fix.

Semi-metallic pads usually work much better than stock replacement ones. I say usually because I bought some that said "Raybestos", but weren't actually made by Raybestos, & they fade badly.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:23 PM

Last photo:

Is there a kit i can get to do this or will it be cheaper by finding all of the used stuff?
thanks
Old 08-11-2004, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

isnt there like a new car that i could get a kit off of. For example a friend of my dads has a '55 (i believe) t-bird and for $150 he got all the brakes and componets off of a ford fiesta. i guess it bolts right up. Is it possible that i could do somthin like that?

-charlie
Old 08-11-2004, 09:10 PM

Last journal entry: More pictures
Last photo:

You can try Summit or Jegs as well and see if they have a disc brake kit. We just bought a kit from Summit for our 74' Truck project and it ran around $650 or so. You will have to buy a new master cylinder and hoses as stated in another post, but if you call Summit or Jegs they can tell you what you need as well or should be able to if they have it available.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

is there a way of gettin super stoping power out of disc breaks? like i said im 17 and on a small budget and my dad will help fund a new motor as long as i get good breaks.
well thanks alot

-charlie
Old 08-11-2004, 09:34 PM

Honestly

To be honest, you won't get away with converting to disc for less than $450.00 If you find a way to do it cheaper, I'd stick with the drums!
Old 08-12-2004, 06:09 PM

Last photo:

well how about this you said that the 69 camaro discs would fit? there is a 63 impala sitting in my back yard that someone put camaro discs on i was wondering how i could tell if they would fit my car. is there numbers i could look up?
thanks
-charlie
Old 09-05-2005, 08:03 PM

Last journal entry: 1972 Chevy El Camino. for sale
Last photo:

power steering and disk brakes

hi hopfally you can answer my ? I got a 1972 Chevy El Cameno and i wount to put power steering and switch from drum to disk brakes on it do you know off of what car/ truck i could take it off of that it would work off of or if you dont if you can give me some info on how to find out the answer to my ? thenk you dan

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.