Drums on Big Block Chevy Luv - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2011, 10:49 PM

Last journal entry: Gunked up 454 water jacket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Drums on Big Block Chevy Luv

Hello gents,

Got a quick question regarding drum brakes on my truck. It is a 72 Chevy Luv that just received a moderately built 454. Within the next twelve months this moderately built 454 will start its transformation into a 454 that will have forced induction by the way of two Holset HX35w turbos.

I currently have the stock 6 lug drum brakes on the front and a Dana 44 under the rear which also has drum brakes.

At the end of the race season this year the Dana 44 is going away and will be replaced by a narrowed 9 inch that will have disc brakes. My question to you all is, in general, how much more "braking power" will I get by going to discs in the rear and discs up front over my current set up?

I currently have a Wildwood dual reservior 7/8" master cylinder, with no booster and an adjustable brake pedal that allows me to adjust the amount of pressure between the front and rear brakes.

I really don't have room for a brake booster in my engine compartment at this point (without alot of modifications) so I would like to use the same dual resevoir master cylinder with the Ford discs in the back and drum OR discs up front. I can go to a brake booster with the drums if absolutely necessary, but I will have to do a decent amount of modification to the front fender supports (at least on the drivers side).

The only front disc brake kit I have found for the Chevy Luv has been on Ebay and they want $880 for it. Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

This kit would also allow me to lose the 6 lug set up that is on there now and go to a Chevy or Ford bolt pattern so that is an added bonus. I just want to know if the $880 disc set up will provide me with additional "braking power" over my current set up, and if you guys think that it would be worth the expense.

The truck weighs about 2800# and with all drums on it now, the rate at which it decelerates once the brakes are applied is leaving something to be desired.

Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreacited. Just trying to get the most brake, without breaking the bank.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 11:02 PM
More for Less Racer

Disc brakes up front will be a huge improvement, you won't believe how much better it will be. If you don't want to disc the rear the big 11" rear Ford drum brakes do just as good a job for less $$$, just weigh more than rear disc's.

All a vacuum brake booster does is decrease the amount of pedal pressure needed from the driver...it doesn't increase braking power at all. It is just a convenience item for lazy drivers and old folks.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:36 AM

Last photo:

I have a 76 Luv w/SBC400. It has factory Power Disc/Drum, the Booster is tiny but, it stops "very" well. I believe it would stop fine with Manual Disc/Drum. You could use cheap factory Disc from a Luv or Isuzu Pickup. I'm not sure which years will interchange, probably a Luv Forum somewhere w/Info.

I'm using a set of factory 15" Aluminum rims from a Toyota 4X4, they fit perfect. 205/60/15" Front & 255/70/15" Rear tires.
If you're set on dumping the 6 lug pattern all this Info is no good tho'.
Mine has Manual steering and it's very easy to steer, twice as easy as the 86 & 87 Toyota trucks I have w/4cyl. engines.

A little Brake, Parts/Yr. Info:
76-80 Luv= Disc/Drum
80-83 Isuzu Disc/Drum
84-87 Isuzu Disc/Drum, w/Vented Rotors
Old 01-31-2011, 08:44 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
All a vacuum brake booster does is decrease the amount of pedal pressure needed from the driver...it doesn't increase braking power at all. It is just a convenience item for lazy drivers and old folks.
Hey, hey! Come on Eric , easy on us old guys!
Old 01-31-2011, 09:08 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The thread HERE talks about using S-10 spindles etc. to get 5-lug disc brakes on the front of a LUV. About half way down the page, the member "da LUV masta" lol offers up drawings (for a price ) to do the swap yourself. Might be worth a look, as well as the rest of the site under Board index Technical Body and Chassis Upgrades.

OT- A buddy of mine had a LUV, way early like yours w/the 4-cylinder engine. Talk about slow- but it got hellacious mileage!
Old 01-31-2011, 03:32 PM

Last journal entry: Gunked up 454 water jacket
Last photo:

Thanks much to all of you for your responses. EricNova72, as usual, you are spot on.

Cobalt,

The guy you are referring to as "da LUV masta" is a guy that lives in my town and I am aware of his conversion kit. I have spoken to this guy on another website and we got into a discussion about the differences in weight between a SBC and BBC and that it was a waste of time to put a BBC into a Chevy Luv because of traction issues. As silly as it seems, it degraded into a pissing contest.....so we are now gonna race heads up this summer in El Paso. His blown Buick V6 vs. my big block. I will probably end up getting my butt handed to me since my build is relatively mild as far as big block builds go, but at the end of the race season, I will start the transformation to the dual Holset HX35 set up with the 4 link, 9 inch etc., coil overs, air to water IC, etc. and then we can rerun it. I can GUARANTEE I won't lose that race.

I'm not gonna bad mouth the guy here. I am sure he is doing a good job of it, but......that Aerospace kit will do the job and they have cool stuff that go along with their brakes like "product liability insurance" and "warranties" and "quality control". That's all I have to say about that.

This is my second Luv, and you are right, the stock 4 banger took a week and a half to get to 4th gear. And as you have also stated, it was reeeaalll good on gas. But I think I'm done with slow Luvs, I want the fast ones.

As usual, all of you are a class act and I appreciate your insight and the sharing of your knowledge.

Last edited by 31fordcoupe; 01-31-2011 at 03:40 PM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.