"Dry Start" problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 07:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

"Dry Start" problem

Hello!.....What do you guys think about the effects of dry starts? In other words, I'm concerned about the fact that my Buick doesn't get started as often as I'd like, and of course the oil's in the pan for those first few turns of the crank. I've always been afraid that I may be doing some damage. Do any of you use a "primer" system of any kind, or a special oil additive? Thanks.....Bob.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Cruzin w/Elvis in Bigfoots UFO

Last photo:

If it has sit for a long time I pull all the plugs and crank it for 30 seconds or so to get the oil moving, then re-install the plugs and fire it up.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

Go to the Morroso website and look at thier oil accumulators. I have a 3 quart that releases the oil when the ignition is turned on.

Bill
Old 11-23-2011, 09:19 PM

I never really worried about it much, true the oil is in the pan, but the pump is still primed and will be flowin oil in no more than a few seconds. That's what I have always believed. I sleep alright
Old 11-23-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetbruiser
I never really worried about it much, true the oil is in the pan, but the pump is still primed and will be flowin oil in no more than a few seconds. That's what I have always believed. I sleep alright
X2....even though the oil DOES drain back to the pan....its not like the bearing/ring sufaces DRY OUT!! A lot of "techie stuff" goes into formulating oil compounds too.
6sally6
Old 11-24-2011, 12:12 AM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:

When I first started my caddy it had set for 20 odd years. I had done an oil change, but not right before it started. It almost smoked me out out of the basement till the old oil burned off. I wouldn't worry a whole lot.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:43 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

First off, I'd suggest using an engine "fog" when you plan to shut it down for several months ... lawnmowers, snowblowers, boats, quads, garage queens

For those of us that live north of the Mason-Dixon ... you should study up on what happens to oil viscosity in cold temperatures. "Instant oil pressure" is a dangerous myth.

Do some research on the oil filter that you are using. Does it have an anti-drainback valve? This is crucial on some engines, where the filter is mounted horizontally rather than vertically. I still recall my Dad getting educated on this the hard way, with a low-milage '71 Plymouth Fury III and a 318.

He *was* a Fram man ... using a PH8A, until he had to replace a set of pushrods and rocker arms at 60,000 miles. No drain-back valve. The "light-bulb" sort of came on in his head, and he admitted that the valvetrain rattled for quite a while before the oil pressure came up.

When GM came out with the 6.2 diesel, they insisted that the owner should NOT install the standard Chevy (WIX 51061, NAPA 1061) filter, and should instead "upgrade" to the slightly more expensive 51060 / 1060 filter that DOES have the drain-back valve. Other than that valve ... the two filters are identical. Many of my installers no longer wanted to stock the 1061 in fear of having the lube guy installing the wrong filter.

That's my $0.02 worth ...
Old 11-24-2011, 08:18 AM

Last photo:

I know the engine doesn't actually dry out, It's just that you hear the stories.... I've never seen any bad things, and my motor runs as well today as it ever did. Thanks again for more good advice...

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.