drying time between coats? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2006, 11:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

drying time between coats?

Okay I'm doing my first auto body job ever...(soooo liking it) I think I'm getting it down... sand to bare metal,fill,sand,fill,sand,fill,sand,primer,2k primer, sand, fill, 2k primer, smooth a bit (hopefully?), sealer, base coat, top coat (about how many coats of color are recommended and drying time each), clear coat....this is where i'm really lost, this kids truck I'm working on wants alot of clear coats (for the shine he says) but then later he wants to come back (like a month or so) put grahpics on then clear coat over that. How many clear coats should I use, and what is the drying time between? Also he wants it done by Sunday, yes this sunday. After I started, He told me he wanted it in a week in a half. I am at the 2k primer stage. I told him he should leave the truck here for like a week to "cure", we don't have drying lights, I'm so scared all this work is going to be messed up. So how long is a good time to let it sit after your done and what are some good "Take care" tips I can give this kid? Also, I've read it's about 400 hours for a good paint job. I understand this kid is excited, but we are really excited to do it right. We have been staying up till 4 am working on this(and getting back up at 7am) Any tips on what to tell the kid about how long it really takes to do it right. We don't want to screw it up, Or kill each other.

Advertisement

Last edited by Fearless_Auto; 09-01-2006 at 11:43 AM. Reason: want it done right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006, 01:28 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Pounding out a complete paint job in a week is quite a feat... I think you are realizing that.
Use the guidelines from your paint manufacturer. You should have gotten the spec sheets when you bought the paint. If you didn't the paint store should have them for you.
Coats of base is relative to the kind of paint you are spraying. Opaque or translucent, both have different needs. Again follow the spec sheet.
If you are using a BC/CC system the base has to be covered by the clear topcoat in a specified amount of time. Again, the spec sheets will have this info. As far as drying goes don't worry about it too much with BC/CC. This stuff "dries" differently then an evaporative paint like enamel or laquer. BC/CC is a chemically induced "cure". Drying lights may help a bit but they aren't required and I have never used them.
Graphics is another matter. Especially with BC/CC. If graphics are definately in the trucks future I would shoot just enough clear to give you a good sanding base and get the BC covered up. When you get ready to do the graphics sand the truck with a 3M soft pad on a D/A with 600 grit. Layout your artwork shoot it and then bury everything under a few heavy coats of clear. This lets you block down the edges of the graphics and then cover it all up with clear. No tape edges...
A "lot" of clear is not necessary. Color sanding and polishing is what will bring out the shine and this can be done with a minimum paint film and lots of elbow grease.
Mark
Old 09-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

That about covers it.
2 coats of clear is plenty for now and depending on the clear your using will also determine how "shiny" it is. Cheap clear vs good clear. NO comparison.
As for dry time. Overnight for primer and base is dependant on brand. Some will be ready for the next coat as soon as your finished the go round,some need 30-45 min between, Base coat is best left to flash for the 30-45 between unless you really know your product.
Clear is product dependant as well.SEE the tech sheet.
Most over all clears are a good 24 hr before buffing.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:34 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Keep one thing in mind. When it comes to painting, rushing will move you backwards. If you spray the clear too early, you may have "solvant pop" in your clear, as the solvants escape the base. Darker colors will need more time than lighter colors. Cooler temps will also increase the time needed. If the reducer is not right for the temperature, you can have problems too.

Whatever products you are using, unless you are extremely experienced with them, read and follow the directions.

Aaron

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.