Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - DTM primer questions
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 11:06 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
I have been painting for almost 12 years so I am relatively still inexperienced and I have noticed a lot of suppliers really pushing the use of epoxy primers after blasting, stripping or any use over bare metal. My question is why go to the extra steps of using the epoxy when there are several reputable DTM 2k and high build primers available? If using the steps recommended by some manufacturers you would need 3 or 4 different primers for every job. Epoxy, high build, 2k, and 2k sealer. I remember the days of etching primer and glass jars for all over bare metal and I could see using the epoxy or etching for those jobs, but is it really beneficial for small collision type repairs? I am not arguing the use of epoxy, just wondering why create an additional step and more expense and supplies instead a DTM 2k or high build? I guess the short version of this question is why epoxy and not DTM 2k?
it's more dense than a 2k and holds out water vapors better and when you crosslink it to a 2k you'll have better adhesion to bare metal.