du pont chromasystem tri coat system advice - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 12:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

du pont chromasystem tri coat system advice

im about to shoot a 1960 chevy bel air with dupont chromasystem tri coat paint system. i think i understand what needs to be done but thought i should ask you experts out there for a lil advice on how i should proceed in doing this job right. im painting it two tone with dark blue bottom with a lighter blue top. which should i shoot first the top or bottom? also should i shoot both top and bottom first then clear the whole car at the same time or clear each color seperately? thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2006, 09:51 PM
official pimp

not real familiar with the paint your using, but when we two toned my freinds chevy black and green we shot the top black and about 6 in below where the green was going to start, taped off the top and shot the bottom, then cleared the whole thing, if i were you i would not clear seperatly, but thats just me
Old 08-09-2006, 08:37 AM

how long did you wait before you taped off the black. i dont want to peel the tape off and peel the paint also. i figured i should clear the whole thing at once. thanks
Old 08-09-2006, 10:13 AM
Where's my Sawzall?

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation
Last journal entry: More progress...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Give it a few hours at least...

Better would be overnight.

Also, when I do graphics taping on relatively fresh paint, I like to use cheapy vinyl electrical tape for the break line. Vinyl tape will stretch some when you pul long sections loose from the roll. I pull a long section like 3-5 feet off the roll, then just hold it in the air a minute before applying it to the car. This short waiting period gives the vinyl time to relax a bit

Another good thing about vinyl tape is the adhesive is strong enough with light pressure to prevent paint bleeding, yet pulls up easy. If the adhesive comes off the vinyl and sticks to the fresh paint don't panic. Give the paint sufficient drying time, then lightly rub a rag with bondo dust on the adhesive, it will pick up the dust and rub off with the rag with light pressure. My brother and I used this method to pull 3M adhesive off one of his squad cars he bought at auction. That adhesive is strong, but comes off pretty easy if it's wiped first with precleaner, then the bondo rag. The idea is to use the precleaner to make the adhesive sticky again, then load it up with dust. It'll all come off. The bondo dust is plastic and will not hurt fresh paint. Any slight dulling or abrasion of the surface from the rag will buff out.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:46 PM

right on dr chop, another little trick i just learned. if it werent for places like this there would be a bunch of jacked up looking cars out there. thanks for the replys dr. chop and student blake. good luck to you
Old 08-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Interestering trick with the dust.
I'll have to try that one out next time i leave a vinyl paint mask on a little too long.
Chromabase will flash fairly quick but I'd wait as long as 2 hrs or o'night before taping on it. Use the vinyl fineline tape for the initial line and don't MASH it when pressing it down. Just use moderate pressure and that will cut your chances of tape tracking and use a quality 3/4 tape to cover 1/2 way over it to tape your masking to. Cheap tape will soak the solvent up and cause you a world of grief so get some quality 3M for the job.
Clear it all at once.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:52 PM
official pimp

yeah, we waited over night and used 3m green mask tape and had no problems hope i could help some
Old 08-09-2006, 11:27 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

Good luck hope I'm not too late.

Two tone no problem. Put the bottom color on first it's easier to hang paper off the tape down to the floor than off the tape over the whole car. as for as the tape. I think it's worth going to the paint shop and getting the right stuff (3M fine-line tape)blue vinyl tape. Don't stretch the tape. It shouldn't leave glue, if so use a damp wax & grease remover rag, careful the wax & grease remover may reverse the base coat a little and can mess with metallics. Definitely clear it all at once. If you color sand and buff the edge line between the colors, it'll be smooth and pro looking.

p.s. If you are shooting a tri-coat be very sure to get every coat as even as possible!! Lay every coat like a metallic that you think is going to model. And spray every peace the same way: distance, pressure, speed, and overlap can make you or break you.

And again Best wishes!

Last edited by colormecrazy; 08-09-2006 at 11:42 PM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.