dual carb intake set up... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2007, 06:05 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

dual carb intake set up...

ok i have a bone stock 79 camaro with a 305 and a auto trans. i was wondering if i could run a dual carb intake with 2 500cfm 4bbl carbs on it with out having to make many or any other engine mods. if any of you have any more ways that i could cheaply get more power and torque out of my car please do tell, but i am trying to get this intake so before i get it i would like to know if it will work with my engine. it is for small block chevys from like 265ci. all the way up to 400ci. not sure if it will work on a 265 but you get my point. will i need any other upgrades to be able to bolt this intake and carbs setup on and run it?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2007, 06:46 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Don`t waste your time on it.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:47 AM
floppers forever

you would be wasting time money and gas.you'll need to change the cam and do some head mods and what about exhaust.you might get away with smaller carbs but i wouldn't waste the money.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:01 AM

ok thanks guys, what would be some cheap ways or cheap upgrades that i could do to get more power and torque out of my car?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:32 AM

Last photo:

A single 500cfm carb is more than a stock 305 will ever need. If it was my car and wanted to keep it for a while I would.

1) Put some gears and a posi unit in it 3.55 or 3.73's.
2) Buy headers and a dual exhaust.
3) Then save up for a 350 or 383.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I`ll include a small list of low cost parts that will help your 305 power wise and help with fuel economy.
1. Edlebrock performer intake, or a weiand action plus intake.
If your engine has a Quadrajet carb on it, stick with it.
2. A double roller timing chain.
3. Tune it up with the best ignition pieces you can afford. Brass terminal distributor cap, Spiral core spark plug wires, route them correctly and apart from each other, and do not use anything with the name ACCEL on it. Add a advance curve kit.
4. K&N air filter.
5. a set of 1.6 ratio rocker arms.
6. Check the mechanical advance under the rotor, make sure it moves freely and isn`t frozen. Also check the vacuum advance unit, make sure it still holds vacuum and isn`t punctured. Check these things when doing the tune up. Make sure your vaccum advance is connected to a full time vaccum source.
7. Add a turbo muffler, or a flowmaster, whichever you perfer.
These small mods alone will give your 305 about 40 more horses and likely a 2 mpg fuel economy increase. It`ll be a sensitive, throttle responsive daily driver with a little bit of pep. Adding rear gears as already mentioned will also help alot, since it only has a 3 speed tranny, I wouldn`t go lower than a 3.23:1 ratio, 3.42:1 the max, too low will hurt economy.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:57 AM

well i am only 15 as i said and this project wont be going along very rapidly because i just dont have the money for it to. but i want for it to have big power and torque. performance is number 1 on my list of priorities for this car. i want it to look good and make car guys say "dang!" when i open the hood. since i am switching to a stick id like to be able to start at a dead standstill and "burn tha boots" all through at least 3rd. im hoping to achieve at least 600 h.p. and hoping for 700 ft-lb of torque. but i want it to be with a small block chevy and i refuse to put nos or turbo in my car. i want it to be 100% natural. like i said it will be a long project, but what i have in mind for the finnish product will be well worth it.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:36 PM

Last photo:

First off the cheapest way to upgrade a 305 is to get a 350.
The only realistic way to get 600-700 hp out of a naturally asperated Chevy and have it streetable is to go big block, like 572 and your talking about $15,000.

Just reamber cheap and HP don't go together Your best bet would be to get a running 350 with vortec heads. Have the heads rebuilt, use an xe274H Cam, an edelbrock air gap intake, 650 carb long tube headers and your looking at about 400HP for $1500 if your careful.

Jordon
Old 05-17-2007, 10:13 AM

well after thinking it over long and hard, i have decided to look for a 1970 1/2 to 1973 chevy camaro. they mostley came stock with 4 speeds and at least a 350 very 307 cars of those years were made. so im gonna post an add in the classifieds but if any of you know of someone that would be willing to sell or trade theirs that is a project car and still needs some work then get in touch with me. please. i would be willing to trade my 1979 camaro with a 305 motor auto trans., plus a ford 302 motor that i have in a truck that was front-end wrecked. the motor is still good damage wise...but i was not the one that wrecked it and do not know if it runs. along with the motor is a 3spd auto trans and i believe a 9" ford rear end. i was told from the man that i bought my truck and this parts truck from that the motor was in good working condition and that the trans and rear end were also. i was going to pull them and put them in my dads 1986 ford thunderbird but it will not pass inspection with that motor yet. it is not old enough. the truck it is out of is a 1982 ford F-150 stepside.if that was negociated in the trade i would pull the motor and trans and rear end for you. but you would have to ship it your self or come pick it up along with the car. togeather the motor,trans,rearend, and my complete running moving 1979 camaro they are worth about 2000 or 2500 so thats gonna be my budget. ask arround yall!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.