Hot Rod Forum banner

Dual master cylinder for drum/disc brakes

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  KULTULZ 
#1 ·
At the present time I have ford drum brakes on the front and inboard disk brakes on the rear with a jag rearend. This set up is on a 1930 ford coupe. Right now I have a single fruit jar style master cylinder which works fine other than the safety factor. Does anyone know is there a way to make this change.

#2 ·
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Drum brakes and disc brakes require a different pressure to work properly. I suggest changing the front brakes to disc and then install a dual master cylinder designed for disc brakes on both ends.

:D

You will be pleasantly surprised how much better the Model A stops with properly designed and installed discs on both ends.

#5 ·
I would think that you could use a disc/drum master cylinder but plumb it in backwards if you know what I mean. I would think you would still need a residual valve or possibly a combination/proportioning (adjustible) valve to insure the rear brakes don't lockup on hard pedal application.

If you had access to brake pressure gauges, it would make the hydraulic setup much easier. Otherwise, you may have to adjust the balance on a wet parking lot or skid pad.

You might want to give <a href="http://www.mpbrakes.com/" target="_blank">-these folks-</a> a call on their Tech Line and see what they say.

I see no reason you cannot do it, you are just going to have to take extra precautions to insure there is no rear wheel lockup in panic situations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.