Hot Rod Forum banner

Dual quad intake and autolite 2100 carbs

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  KULTULZ 
#1 ·
Hi guys.. I'm an old fart just about to retire and need something to do to be differant at the hotrod runs. Got a 33 dodge pickup rat rod (just never finished) with a 302/289 ford motor that has way over 100,000 miles in the last 30 yrs. since I built the car. My question is that I would like to put two old autolite 2bbl carbs on a dual quad manifold such as the edelbrock 7535. Will this manifold work with the stock distributor and if I make special adaptors, will the carbs fit and also miss the distributor? All I can find out so far on the manifold is that the carb center dimension is 6 7/16" Thanx for any input.

#2 ·
If you are making adapters, you can make them open and mount the carbs long ways and not have any issues with dist. interference. It'd look kind of neat too. It was pretty common at one time to mount the 4 bbl Holleys sideways with an open adaoter because there wasn't enough distance between the pads for both bowls. I personally doubt that if you have adaoters that mount the carbs in the center of the pads that there will be any issues at all. The biggest problem I remember, with mounting the Holleys, was the back bowl on the front carb and the front bowl on the back carb wanting to occupy the same space.

#3 ·
The only thing I think that would cause a problem and it is not that big of a problem is the fuel filter screws into the front of the bowl on the 2100 carb. You will need a adapter to screw into the bowl and then run your fuel line from there.

#4 ·
dual quad intale and 2100 carbs

well, the first thing is that if I put the carbs inline, it's about 7 1/4" center to center of carbs. Also the mounting holes are off center about 3/8". The fuel filter would be no problem with a fitting to turn it sideways for the gasline.
As far as turnin the carbs sideways, that would be ok but don't like mounting them on a dual plane manifold that way---splitting the holes. Besides I think that the linkage would be too much monkeying around. I still got some measuring to do. Wish there was a speedshop around here so I could have a good looksee :)

Looks like I ain't the only ford guy here! Merc, looks like a small ford, and 428 in a duce :thumbup:

#5 ·
33dodgeratrod said:
My question is that I would like to put two old autolite 2bbl carbs on a dual quad manifold such as the edelbrock 7535. Will this manifold work with the stock distributor and if I make special adaptors, will the carbs fit and also miss the distributor? All I can find out so far on the manifold is that the carb center dimension is 6 7/16".
The 2V to 4V adator shown- TRANS-DAPT 2065

...will center the 2V carb(s) in the 4V intake plenum(s). It should clear the STD dist cap (DUARSPARK II will have to be measured). The origional FORD 3 X 2 setup used 2V HOLLEYS turned around, but you should not have that problem.

You can also mill the rear carb horn(s) off to appear as early TRI-POWER HOLLEYS.

AUTOLITE 2100 CHM Ratings-

These following numbers are for AUTOLITE/MOTORCRAFT 2100 Series Carburetors. This number can be found on the left side of the float bowl, right behind the accelerator pump rod, inside of a circle. The number(s) on the left corresponds with the CFM rating(s) on the right. The first numbers are the Venturi Size, the second is the corresponding CFM.

These numbers are for 2V carburetors only (2100/2150).

Number = CFM

.98 = 190
1.01 = 240
1.02 = 245
1.08 = 287
1.14 = 300
1.21 = 351
1.23 = 356
1.33 = 424
One misconception of the FE tri-power is it is over carbureted for 390 and smaller displacement FE's. One must realize 2v and 4v carbs are flowed differently. 2v carbs are flow tested at a pressure of 3" and 4v carbs are flow tested at 1.5".

To make an accurate comparison of 2v VS 4v carb take the total cfm of the 2v and divide by 1.414. Example: Total cfm rating of most FE tri-power carbs (List #2436/2437) is 1030 cfm. 330 cfm primary + 350 cfm each outboard = 1030 cfm divided by 1.414 = 728 cfm.

As one can see if comparing the tri-power system to a single 4v intake system the tri-power is equal to a single 4v intake with approximately a CJ carb that is 730 cfm. Ford did the homework, and rather well at that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.