Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Dual or single exhaust???????
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 10:07 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79C10
Hey guys---
I just finished dropping a new crate 350 into my 79 C20 work truck. I slapped an Edelbrock RPM manifold and a 600 cfm 4 bbl on it , otherwise , it is stock . ( chrome valve covers and dress up stuff , but nothin that'll add HP )
I was thinking about leaving the stock exhaust manifolds and running dual exhaust , or possibly just putting on a flomaster on the single pipe...... or switching out to headers and dual flomasters .
What do you think will work best for torque and why?

thanks for your tips and advice , , and keep America smokin'!
Ya know, every-time I run the Rocket Science to get numbers that justify putting duals on a mild V8, the numbers never say this is just something ya gotta do. Yet every-time I bolted on the hardware, even with OEM manifolds the engine responded with more available power and better fuel economy. So I guess doin' the arithmetic isn't the "end-all, be-all" of answers, just put some duals on it.

I haven't had the same success with 3 inch singles as with duals on mild street engines either. I think that space constraints tend to keep the head pipes too small with excessive turns and poor merging shapes especially where they form the common exit. There may be gains to be had with more streamline shapes where the pipes merge but available space generally prohibits getting the contours and distances needed to bring the head pipes elegantly together. Duals seem to easily get around this problem, which is probably their advantage in power and economy compared to even quite large single systems on a street driven vehicle.

Bogie