Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Duece grill shell
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 08:18 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill plise
My problem is the body sits about 1/2 off the frame, again I now assume this is why they channel the front 3/4 of an inch .Is this correct?
That is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill plise
I saw a model A roadster (on a 32 frame) at our local So-cal here in Vegas and it has a spacer between the body and the frame and knifes down near the front, It's not channeled and the firewall sits on top of the frame. Does the body have a small arc to it or do I just have a short between my headsets? Any information you can give me on the bodies would be greatly appreciated. Pops.
The sub frame on the Model 'A's is flat. The spacer (often a section of hardwood cut on a bandsaw) fills in the gap due to the slight arc of the '32 frame. Some aftermarket '32 style frames have the top of the side rails flat so that the Model 'A' body can be bolted directly to it. Speedway shows one in their catalog although I haven't seen it up close and personal. Some just use small spacers at the body to frame mounting points.

The '32 frame rails are also usually "pinched" at the firewall area to better fit the narrower cowl of the Model 'A' body.

Way back when (and still a few today), the Model 'A' body was just placed on the top of the '32 frame and bolted in place with a few washers to fill the gap at the mounting bolts. Yielded an easy way to get a V-8 (unless the '32 was a Model 'B' which came with a 4 cylinder) and slightly longer wheelbase. There are some other advantages to using the Model 'A' body on a '32 Ford frame. I'll save that for another time.

The reason you had to change the area to clear the spring hump is because you apparently are using a Model 'A' rear cross-member and spring. The stock '32 rear cross-member would not have required that alteration.

I like the Model 'A' body on the '32 frame when the body is not channeled. If the body is to be channeled then I'd stick with the Model 'A' frame.

Please post some photos for all to see.