Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DUI Story or how you got out of it

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Centerline 
#1 ·
Well I only got pull over once.I guess that good.
Any way I was working the second shift after work the guys would go to the bar and wind down. I would decline and go home. but this one night I said sure one beer. Well 2:00 came and everyone said lets got to Denny it was about twenty five guy in this big caravan head to Denny one exit down the freeway.I happen to be the last guy in line, guess who they pulled over. the Adrenalin was a pump my truck smell like beer. Any way I did the walk the line touch you nose so far so good I happen to look over and there were twenty five guy stand on the curb wait for me. The cops said I could take you in and I willing to bet all your coworker to but if you can make it to the parking lot with out doing anything wrong I let you go but don't leave the parking lot tell the morning. All the guy cheered the cops. my boss said we were waiting to get you truck and bail you out in the morning. WOW
I learn one very important thing at 22 the cop hang out at the bar to.

Craig

#2 ·
sort of related I think...

After the speed limit was raised to 65, I was driving on 101s from novato,ca there is a stretch in mill valley, where the speed limit drops back to 55. I had been at my mother inlaws house, I had a couple of drinks but was sober when I drove home. My mother inlaw gave me som liqour (opened and unopened) it was in my trunk. I was driving my convertible 63 valiant at the time. I was about 1am and I had the back window unzipped so I could see. need less to say it was windy and it was whipping the car around. The CHP pulls me over. Tells me about the 55mph thing, then asks me if I have been drinking. in my head I am panicking. If I say no, and he doubts me and searches the trunk, he will find my booze and I will goto jail. So I say yes. My wife was sitting next to me and you can tell she was freaked. So the cops says how much and when. I tell him I had a couple of beers and dinner around 6pm. He says okay, and tells me that the car was veering. I tell him about the back window, and also that I had a power steering leak, which required me to put fluid in all the time. He says okay and goes back to his car. In the mean time my wife is flipping out cause she is sure I am getting a DUI. The cop comes back, tells me to get the leak fixed ASAP and to remember that millvalley is still 55mph and off he goes... Sometimes the truth sets you free...

#3 ·
Memorial Day weekend in State College, PA in 2000. I'm working a large sporting event as an official that weekend. It's Friday night before the weekend starts and all the officials are housed in a single dormitory. Many parties going on and a lot of drinking. I'm thinking I'm in for the night so a little JD is okay. Anyway my wife calls me on my cell and tells me I took the wrong pair of uniform slacks. I check my garment bag and she is right. I'm now wondering where I can buy a pair of dark blue dress slacks at 11:45 PM on a Friday night ready for an 8AM start the following morning. I ask around and find that there is a Wal-Mart a few miles away. I jump in the car and start out for that Wal-Mart. Going down the main drag Rt 322, and as I am about to crest one of the many rolling hills in the area I see a set of cones that looks like the two lanes northbound I'm in are being reduced to one lane. As I top the hill there are about two dozen cop cars with all lights flashing and the cones are there to marshall all the cars into a single very narrow lane about 350 feet long - cops standing on both sides of the lane as you drive through. I'm thinking Oh Boy I Know What This Is. I quickly fasten my seat belt and slowly drive through the gauntlet while just about every cop is shouting down to the next one 'This one's from Ohio!!'. 'Hey, we got an Ohio driver!' etc. (Ohio has front license plates - Pennsylvania, well, No). I finally get up to the end of the gauntlet, stop, roll down my window, sit back in my seat and try to relax. The officer says 'Good evening. How are you, sir.' I say 'Good evening. I'm doing well, thank you'. All the time exhaling as little as I could while speaking, expecting him to stick his head right into the open window and sniff LOL!. I'm quickly reviewing the alphabet backwards in case I'm asked. He says 'Can I help you get where you're going to tonight?' (must be thinking that I'm from Ohio and I must be lost). I ask him if there is a Wal-Mart just up the road and he says yes about a mile and a half. I say thanks and he says have a good evening and off I go. By the way, Wal-Mart had the slacks.

#4 ·
When I was younger I got away with drinking and driving a few times. Even had a cop pull me over once and give me a ride home. I got an owi when I was about 27 in another town. I didn't even want to go out that night as I was feeling a little sick, but a friend I worked with kept twisting my arm saying we should go out and watch this band. When I get over by the guys house, he says, ohh yeah your driving, I don't have plates on my car yet. Well once we got down there and I started drinking and having fun, I didn't feel sick anymore. On the way home I noticed a cop following me when I didn't take a right turn on red and being the time of the morning it was. I didn't know the town real well, so instead of just trying to make it to the highway, I had to turn left cause I accidently got in the left turn lane. Got busted for my first owi, and had to pay 80 bucks for a tow (the car was pulled over right in front of a bodyshop/wrecker place, and all they had to do is push it off the street and into the pen. I got another owi a few years later, and once you get an owi you won't catch any sort of break again. They are really strict on it now a days, and the penaltys go up every year. Bars ain't that much fun for me anymore, so I don't go out very often at all anymore. Its not worth all the hell you have to go through if you ever are stupid and drive with a few drinks in you and get busted. But I agree, I know there are a lot of cops that drink and drive, just they don't have to face the same justice unless they hurt or kill somebody. You never see any cops going through counciling for an owi, you think they don't cover each others backs? One state cop around here did get an owi though, but she was driving a state vehicle and had an accident. I also heard something about them finding a police vehicle in the avery (the guy that made national news, on trial for murder an rape) and was suppose to be one involved in a homicide and disappeared. Didn't catch exactly what they were trying to say.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
It was my 25th class reunion,always during my home town celebration they have a carnival. Every class reunion of the year has floats or get togethers. Did the float thing headed for the beer tent. My cousin got dumped there ,so I thought I'd take him home ,reality about 80 miles round trip. Well just crossed the county line their was a deputy sheriff sitting in a field drive. ***** well here he comes, lights on I was speeding after the speeding ticket ,next question how much you been drinking, 3 beers. Step out, walk the line test, count backwards,did the blow test, can I search your car ,yes I said ,,cooler in back 2 empties . He comes back your under arrest OWI , checked out my cousin he was ok drove my car to his place.On the way to the sheriff dept, I'm begging I'll loose my job have a cdl, funny hind site never told me what my intake was on the highway. Got to the sheriffs dept. did another blow test, things going through my mind not good, .010005 barely over but legally OWI. I'm sitting there for 20 minutes findly the deputy comes back we're giving you a break you've been cooperative haven't been a smart * speeding and public intox, night in jail, all I said was where do I sign.
So it ended up being a $300. night instead $3000. So 4 hours I was sitting in the hot seat, never have forgotten, the funny thing next morning they opened the cells up across from me was someone that graduated 2 years in front of me his 3rd offense,the last time I knew in prison, I thought what a waste I don't need this. Never have forgotten,things are different from what they used to be, play the game sooner or later,, you'll pay the price if not worse, not worth it.

#7 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

Look at it this way..

By the time your DUI is bought and paid for..(three to five years down the road) Imagine the money spent, and personal time devoted to complying with the court requirements of the DUI , you could have Invested in a Sweet Street Rod..

You could buy or build a top line Deuce Coupe and have change left over..

In California, Nobody gets "Away" with DUI..the exceptions are if they don't notice you at the time..and the cop is busy doing something else to observe you..They (whoever "They" are..)Say: 1 in 25 times driving Drunk, (over the limit to any extent) you will be arrested..(unless your a REAL problem.)

It's just not worth it..

Doc :pimp:

#8 ·
DUI or how you got out of it

my little brother an 2 girls were out drinkin' one nite they were under age, the cop knew me an pulled me over. made us all get out of the car while he checked it, it was clean, so he ask the first girl if she had been drinkin' an she gave him a big kiss, he said you're ok and asked the second girl, she gave him a kiss, he said you're ok, then he looked at my brother an my brother said write me up cause I ain't kissin'ya. we all laughed so hard, he got a $35 fine. but the cop forgot to ask me so we got in the car an drove away.

#9 ·
You asked--Just after I got out of the USN & went home,I was selling Jeeps(73) Went to a party,in the country, in the Jeep with Dealer tags. On the way home got lost with my girlfriend(4'11" 26yrs old nurse--that looked 16 with long blond hair to her waist) she left her ID in a friends car. I took a detour out in a corn field at 3 AM. While just setting there with the motor & lights on--got a strange feeling--as I turned around--all the cop lights came on.They surrounded the car & told me to get out. I of course tried to do as asked,but my foot hung on the door lip & I was face down in the field. They are looking at her & at me & wanted to know what I was doing in this corn field.My response was"trying to get a little" they were laughing so hard all they said was get out of there so the owner wouldn't call them anymore. Needless to say I left in a hurry-& took every left or right I came to after I left the field. Couldn't believe they let me go.

#13 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

While it is quite fun to BOAST about how you got away with a Misdemeanor Crime..That actually endangers your family and mine..I really don't think this is the place to do that..Go to the Bar..Or save it for Bench racing..

Keep in mind..WE are not the only ones that read these posts..Hotrodding is Having a hard time trying to exist in a sea or Regulations as it stands..IN an econobox world. This , In my opinion IS not good advertising for Our Hobby AT ALL..

We Could one day very soon find ourself regulated right out of that hobby, If we don't take responsible, positive Attidudes..Anybody that lives in California will know EXACTLY what I mean..You can't even get a Cruise together without spending THOUSANDS of dollars for City Variance permits, Thousands more to insure that event, and extra to pay reserve police officer's to Control it..

Then a City Council will have to approve that application..MOST are bounced for this reason: Alcohol and Fast (in their opinion) "Unsafe" cars will not mix..and all hot rodders are Beer Guzzling Rebel outlaws..who don't give a second thought to the public safety..and to allow a Cruise would be counter to public safety. Case in point.."The Oakland Roadster Show"..Kicked to the curb..because of the "Crowd it attracted"

Just as we don't advocate Street racing here at hotrodders..Ever..Nor should we Advocate Drinking and Driving..It is after all a Serious Crime, That has it's own Death toll..And it makes US look Irresponsible to the regulators..

Keep in mind..There are City's and states that are of the belief that if it is over 5 years old..It does not belong on the road..It is an unsafe Vehicle that pollutes the environment and is usually driven by irresponsible , Uninsured motorists that have had their license suspended..While you and I know that is not true explain that to Mr Councilman, Who drives a New VW, and makes the rules..

This thread , In My opinion, does not put out the right message about WHO WE are..and what are VERY expensive Rods represent..And I think it's counter productive to what we are trying to promote here.

Doc :pimp:

#14 ·
They didnt say they were driving hot rods or 'vintage' vehicles while doing this, For all you know they could have been driving brand spanking new civics so get your panties out of your crack and relax. Nobodys saying 'get drunk and drive' the guy just asked for any interesting stories you might have. Surely everyone knows its not right to drink and drive, I dont think anyone has to push that fact any more.

If you have a story tell it, if you dont then read along, if it offends you that people would talk about it Click The Back Button on your browser, take a deep breath and choose another thread to read.

#15 ·
Doc, Well you know what we all do dumb thing when were growing up. I for one have made my share and I'm willing to bet your hand are not clean either. So we tell a few story in the end for most of us the message it sure was a dumb thing to do.
You go to car shows hotrod events and what do you see beer food soda Girls Hot Rods. Do we take are kids wife friends does this makes us bad people? have you had a beer in front of you kids?

Who's sending the wrong message?

Craig

#16 ·
I think this post just goes to show how stupid people are to be out there drinking and driving. I know what I'm talking about. I was a binge drinking alcoholic for 25 years, or should I say I am an alcoholic. When I drank, I never drove my Oldsmobile while going out. I did however, manage to wreck 2 other cars through the years and survived, and thank the good Lord, I never hurt anyone else. My last drunk was in March of 1991 at a good friends retirement ceremony. I don't miss drinking, but I sure do long for a beer when I'm around my buddies and they're drinking. I do try to watch over them when we're together and one or two of them have too much, without being condescending or preaching to them. If you want to drink and drive just understand, it's not acceptable. It can ruin your life. It can cost you a job. It can financially ruin you. It can cost you your friends, some of them being the same people that drink with you! It can cost you everything you have, including your family. I know. I don't want to see this post closed. It just shows how stupid we all are under the influence of alcohol and do things we normally wouldn't do and to ignore this will not make the problem go away.

#17 ·
Gentlemen,

Although some DUI stories CAN show how stupid it is, some of the stories related in this thread are definitely NOT then kinds of things that people should be bragging about. Evading the police and driving drunk are basically in the same league as street racing. They're both stupid to do and just a little bit illegal.

Some of the mods have discussed this thread and are generally of the opinion that it should be dumped. Rather than dumping this thread (because there are some good lessons included) I'm just going to close it and let it die a quiet death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.