Dumb 4spd question.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2005, 09:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dumb 4spd question....

It would appear that from underneath my car I can push and pull the levers on the Hurst Competion Plus shifter at will. I have a T-10 that I rebuilt the shifter on but am wondering if there is a starting postion for all the tabs? I might be wrong but it seems my random pulling of the rods does not seem to move the actual shift lever. I have found neutral but cannot verify gear selection as the engine is not running. Am I being dumb or is there a starting position for each rod?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2005, 06:17 AM
Rich Lackey

Last journal entry: Rich Lackey is back on Hotrodders!
Last photo:

Hey! Nice Avatar!
Old 03-07-2005, 10:41 PM

I'd hop under there and have someone run it through the gears and see whats going on with the three tranny tabs that the linkage rods are pinned to. If the linkage rods are not moving while the lever is moving, You will need to remove the shifter and and figure out why the dogs on the lever are no longer engaging the shifter tabs that live in the shifter base. You also could have reinstalled any one of your linkage arms upside down.

I am sure you saw the lever stops (bolts with a jam nut) inside the shifter base, those need to positively stop that shift lever just as the gear is fully engaged with another gear. Do not ignore this step.

If you didnt use the proper clips and bushing on the base tabs and rods assembly, your linkage arms will just mush sideways instead of throwing the linkage arms straight forward and make the tranny shift.

The shift rods inside that tranny side cover have a "cam" type assembly with a spring loaded ball bearing. That ball bearing will fall into a notch on that cam when the gears are fully engaged with each other.

I've adjusted those linkage arms before by unclipping the linkage from the tranny end and putting the tranny in a known gear and then put the shift lever in the proper spot for that gear and the lengthen or shorten the arm to fit. You still must ensure that the shift lever stop is against the shift lever for that gear.

There are three positions on the two tranny tabs on that side cover. On the forward tab, all the way forward is 4th gear. all the way back is 3rd gear. Middle is nuetral.

On the sidecover rear tab, 2nd gear is all the way forward and 1st is all the way back. With nuetral in the middle.

The reverse tab is on the tailhousing. When its all the way back, its in reverse. All the way forward its not.

I had a link to an exploded view and directions for a rebuild of the shifter base but I cant find it now. I'd google up a hurst shifter exploded view if I was you and make sure you put it back together right.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:56 PM

Last photo:

Sorry it took so long to get back here. I couldn't login for 3 days! It kept making me change my password and then would time out....
Anyway, thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. One question though...lets say I'm looking for 2nd gear...where should the front tab be? The one that is 3rd and 4th? And conversly, when lets say looking for 4th, where should the rear tab be?

My rebuild only included the sleeves and springs. The rest of the shifter stayed put. So it should be close as far as adjustment. When I pull the engine this summer I will break it down and clean her up and do all the little tweaking.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:46 PM

When you try and find second, move the forward tab to the center or halfway between 3rd and 4th.

When you're looking for 4th, the rear tab (on the side cover) will likewise be in the center between 1st and 2nd.

You can grab those tabs with a crescent wrench so you have some leverage. The little detents in the cams will become obvious then.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:51 PM

I would ensure that the stops are adjusted right before I used it. I wouldn't want to be shifting the tranny to far and past where it wants to be. The tranny wont like it.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:46 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the help!
I'll be wrenching it it tomorrow.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.