Dumb newbie here is this a holley 600? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 11:38 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dumb newbie here is this a holley 600?

Hey guys! thanx for checkin in on my thread. I recently purchased a 46 pickup. The previous owner told me the carb is a 600 but for the life od me I cannot find any ID number on it. Did Holley have ID numbers on their carbs. I would like to switch the fuel line over to braided steel but would like to know size of carb first. I've included some pics of the truck and the carb. Check out the way the knuckle head has the rubber fuel line running up over the alternator. Thats why I want to switch over to braided steel line it just looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 11:43 AM

Last photo:

And furthermore when I change over to braided steel will that brass fitting just back right out of the carb body so I can replace with a AN fitting? Or is there something I am missing? Oh, and don't mind the fluid laying all over the top of the engine. The knuckle head also ran the engine without a PCV valve.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:29 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Right front side of the air horn (as you sit in the driver's seat) is where Holley usually stamps in a set of number. Pull the air cleaner and you should be able to find it.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:07 PM

Last photo:

Ok this is the number I found on the front, but I needed a damn microscope to read it. 18509 and then directly under it 0778
Old 01-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

It looks to be a 600..........As IC said, take a look for the numbers stamped where I put the arrow.....It will say "List-****".....You then look that number up...

It could be a factory carb (GM, Ford, Chrysler)....some of them have weird numbers, a bit harder to look up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3544.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	52037  
Old 01-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman27
Ok this is the number I found on the front, but I needed a damn microscope to read it. 18509 and then directly under it 0778
The 1850 means its a 600
Old 01-29-2011, 01:13 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
I cannot find any ID number on it. Did Holley have ID numbers on their carbs.

Your Holley is a Model 4160 vacuum secondary "single feed, single pumper"-type carb. Sizes vary among this style carb, so use the List number (location shown above) to determine exactly what you have, size-wise.

The "banjo" fitting has a pair of small gaskets that seal both sides, it does just unscrew normally (CCW).

Earls, Russel, etc. along with Summit sell the lines and AN fittings you want. The size of the fitting into the carb itself is male 9/16-24 , to whatever AN size you would like, usually -6 (3/8") is sufficient.

Good luck, looks to be a good project.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:19 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Seems I was typing while everyone else was posting.

The "0778" is a date code. 77th. day of a year ending in "9"- probably 1999.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:55 PM

Last photo:

Thanx guys your the best!
Old 01-29-2011, 03:56 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Yes, eventually that rubber line will wear through. I myself am guilty of going the cheap and easy route on my beaters and using rubber fuel line and have often used the alternator bracket as an anchor BUT I always run them through a section of heater hose anyplace that might be a rubbing point or could be subjected to heat like a coolant line.

Quote:
Check out the way the knuckle head has the rubber fuel line running up over the alternator. Thats why I want to switch over to braided steel line it just looks like an accident waiting to happen.
On a different note, it's one thing to call somebody a knucklehead and it may be appropriate in some cases but when you do it on the internet with large full color pictures of his former vehicle so there's no question who you are talking about it could lead to some tense moments if he lives very close. Just something for all of us to keep in mind. Something similar was brought up in a computer security training session at work. Be careful what you post on the internet........
Old 01-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
Yes, eventually that rubber line will wear through. I myself am guilty of going the cheap and easy route on my beaters and using rubber fuel line and have often used the alternator bracket as an anchor BUT I always run them through a section of heater hose anyplace that might be a rubbing point or could be subjected to heat like a coolant line.

On a different note, it's one thing to call somebody a knucklehead and it may be appropriate in some cases but when you do it on the internet with large full color pictures of his former vehicle so there's no question who you are talking about it could lead to some tense moments if he lives very close. Just something for all of us to keep in mind. Something similar was brought up in a computer security training session at work. Be careful what you post on the internet........
True you never know who might be reading.
And yes it appears to be a 600. JMO
Cole
Old 01-29-2011, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie

Very good point. Actually, I see him quite often (he's an old farmer in his late 70's) and have already told him what I thought, and we have both laughed about it. His response was "it's an old truck its suppose to leak oil" Now if you want to see somehting really messed up, I should post some pics of the wiring under the dash. I had to disconnect the battery just to keep from worrying about my garage burning down. Honestly I don't think the guy I bought the truck from is the culprit as he is not the orginal builder.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
, I should post some pics of the wiring under the dash. I had to disconnect the battery just to keep from worrying about my garage burning down.

Yeah, I can imagine LOL. I had one of those and I posted several rants about it here last year. Calling whoever did the work on it a "knuckle head" would have been a compliment but I was careful not to post any pics of it and the person that did the work didn't frequent the internet much less this site.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.