Hot Rod Forum banner

Dumb Question?

941 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  sledge57 
#1 ·
Hi, I haven't owned a muscle car since I was 22 (25 years ago).

I couldn't stand it any longer and bought a 67 Coronet, 383, Edelbrock performer manifold, Edelbrock carb, MP electronic ignition, MSD Coil and wires and an unknown cam. It's definately not stock though I have no idea what exactly it is.

I'd like to use a MP purple stripe cam, my question is (the first of many to come I'm sure) how much lift can 383's safely take before there are valve/piston clearance issues? I don't intend to take this engine too far apart anytime soon as I want to go to a 440 late next year or the year after.

I plan to add a 3.91 or 4.11 gear, a 2500 rpm converter and Hooker headers also.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
usually, if the springs are stock,you'll have a problem with coil bind before you have issuses with valve to piston clearance. Call the cam manufactures tech line and they should be able to tell you what springs to go with and if you'll have enough piston/valve clearance.

What are the specs on the cam anyways?

#5 ·
I have no clue what the present cam specs are, trying to decide on what the new specs will be. It was suggested to me to use the "Hemi Grind" from MP, not exactly sure which cam that is yet though. I know about the coil binding issue but when I swap cams I will use new springs, lifters and pusrods also.

Thanks for the input,

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.