Hot Rod Forum banner

Dumb Question on Fuel Delivery

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  el clarko 
#1 ·
Okay, here's a really sill question on fuel delivery.....

In an engine built for around 400-450 HP, is the wiser choice to use a mechanical, or electric, fuel pump? The merits of each? Down sides to each? :rolleyes:

#2 ·
Based on your request, you could go with both...

I use a Holley Mechanical Fuel Pump, just because the engine already has a hole to put it.

However - if you plan on some serious power and need the fuel for say - 2 double-pumpers up top, an electric pump may be the way to go.

There are really no advantages to the other, except that the electric fuel pumps take some slack off the motor by eliminating the cam-push rod.

Also, electric pumps can be turned off with the ignition still running for a kill switch so that if you are racing you can cut your fuel to the engine. All in all, electric pumps are typically seen on beasts pushing around Big Blocks. 400-450HP sounds like a considerable amount, but it all depends on how much fuel your engine needs.

Recommended PSI for todays Carbs run around 5.5 to 6 PSI, so if you are putting a rather large (800CFM and up) Carburetor, use a Fuel Pressure guage, and work from there.

I always suggest Mechanical in a street situation. Dragsters should use electric, and so should Pro Street, however, it's all up to you.

#4 ·
If you do end up going with an electric, get a Mallory 140 instead of a Holley. Holleys are notoriously noisy. I have a Holley Blue on my Goat right now and it's loud, but a damn good pump. I've heard good things about the Mallory. Quiet and reliable.

ps - there are no such things as dumb questions. ;)

#5 ·
hey fellas, 1st post here. saw that the noise factor was mentioned pertaining to electric pumps. i too used a holley blue for a couple seasons, no problems except the noise. i have since upgraded to an aeromotive "street rod" pump and must admit it is significantly louder than the holley blue. i would rather use a mechanical pump for the practicality of it but like the fact that my fuel system is capable of supplying up to 750 ponies. yet another $.02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.