from dummy lights to guage. got new sending unit. one wire not 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2006, 02:58 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

from dummy lights to guage. got new sending unit. one wire not 2

so for a sending unit for a gauge is it always one wire? i have two on the old one. 1972 camaro

<--

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2006, 03:13 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

HUH

vicrod
Old 04-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheimer
so for a sending unit for a gauge is it always one wire? i have two on the old one. 1972 camaro

<--

so you're switching from a dummy light to a gauge? did you get a sending a unit for a gauge or dummy light?

JB
Old 04-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Are you going from a Stock sender / Lamp to an aftermarket Gauge/sender?

If so you only need the single wire that goes back to the dash, (that you have the best access to) and mark, cap, and tie back the other wire..Be sure the wire you use has continuity all through it and it is not on ground or power somewhere..(measure it Volts first, Ohms next) OR : you can opt for door #2..install a new single wire.

Doc
Old 04-08-2006, 09:07 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

okay it's problem solved. the unit i am puttin in of course is for a guage, since i took out the idiot lights and put in the U-14 guage cluster. no, it's not aftermarket, it is the optional factory gauge-pack
i will find out which of the two wires is the hot and connect it to the guage and that is the only wire to go to the sending unit. i'll just cut off the ground where it goes thru the firewall and cap it off. maybe even under the console. too bad when i rewired my U14 that i even put that extra wire in.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:44 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

U-14

doc, and others let me give you a little bit of pay back for the times you have helped me.

the camaro, at least the sec. gen, comes stock wtih a giant speedo and a giant gas guage and a whole bunch of idiot lights. this is the std. pos dash cluster.

for the guages, gages, gauges, whatever, you had to order the optional U 14 guage cluster, instrument package, whatever. that gave you the giant speedo, the giant tach, (only tach you could get) and all the guages. water temp, clock maybe, voltmeter or amp meter ammeter and gas. maybe the old guages had a giant gas gauge instead of a clock, i cant remember, i smoke way too much carck, not really. i only smp. so anyway. to convert from the dummy lights to the U-14 cluster requires a bit of pulling out the wires from the connector and adding a couple. it's pretty complicated and i suggest the only way in hell you are going to do in it is to go to www.nasty28.com and search there and get the pin locations.

to make a long story short. the only way to get the U14 H2O temp guage to work is you have to also replace the sending unit with one designed for the guage vs. the indiot light. i have had my troubles posted doing this. once i disconnect the ground and just run the hot to it i should be okay. there are alot of other changes, easy to do , to do this swap, i think this is the only sending unit change req'd. bye

Last edited by bullheimer; 04-08-2006 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

I know the cluster unit (have a better word for it...but can't print it..) you refer too..I actually have a diagram for it in my Camero Book..

Tell me since you have one, My book does not show it, and I have wondered..Is that Giant tach a two piece unit ? A Control head to a Calibration card configuration? Have been asked many times and can't give an accurate answer on it..sure would like to know..

And also, (you may know already) you might need a Tach buffer for that unit between the Dizzy and the calibration card..(looks like a noise cap filter on the coil or points) but it is not..

It's two resistors in series with two bypass caps in parallel to ground it's sole purpose in life is to shape and buffer the waveform off the dizzy to the Tach, to keep from blowing out the calibration card..

In it's stock habitat, it was mounted on the manifold next to the dizzy, was about 3 inches long, round with a wire and connector out each end..If you ran without it your Tach reported in error at the low end, and it's day's were numbered..

Doc
Old 05-02-2006, 10:13 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

sorry i took so long to look at this doc.

doc, there are close up pictures in my journal of this. right at the end and maybe the second page from the end as well. there is a circuit card that the cluster is screwed to, or bolted to, for a ground, and that is why my tach didnt work. i have no other buffer unit as you describe, but my car is a 72. i think it matters because the camaro board i referred to they also made a reference to this same thing. soi think it depends on the year.

back to my-BELIEVE IT OR NOT- original question!!!!!!

i had two wires going to the temp. sending unit: a green one and a green with white stripe. this is weird doc. i have 12V from each one to ground! and i have no continuity from either to ground, so i dont know which one is ground. ity seems to me i remember that a wire with a white stripe always means ground but i don't remember. i hadda friend tell me that the g/wt was the one to hook up so i did and guess what! it didn't work!

i have since hooked it up to the other wire, i checked it and it worked....

the green wire gets all jiggy with it

Last edited by bullheimer; 05-02-2006 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

The reason you were reading 12 volts on that line is because it was a ground referenced wire that didn't have a ground..

Like removing the ground wire on a light bulb..and putting a meter between it and ground..

It will read 12 volts but the lamp won't light..until you ground the wire..then the current is doing useful work, and the Voltage drops to zero..

Anyway glad to hear it is working now!

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.