Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Dump dump dump....
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2004, 10:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

The threads you speak of were dumped by me, as part of my new duties as our newest Lounge moderator.

I would be happy to discuss the reasons for dumping those threads, or, if you feel that they were dumped unfairly, I would be happy to engage in a debate with you as to the merits of keeping the Lounge post quality above a certain level.

Here's some more detail on why I chose to Dump the threads that you specifically mentioned:

1. No Topic Thread: These sort of threads are fine in moderation, but this one had become extremely long, out of hand, sexually-oriented, and it took up so many pages that it was consuming too much vertical space on the main Hotrodders' Lounge page.

2. Word Association Thread: This type of thread is fine too in moderation, but it had gone on for long enough, and was also becoming sexually oriented and difficult to govern. An OK diversion, but not acceptable as a semi-permanent fixture in the Lounge.

Yes, you are correct -- there are NUMEROUS other hotrodding-themed websites with looser rules. You mentioned a few, and we have dozens of others listed in the Knowledge Base. Some of them are more than 50% "chit-chat", and you might feel more comfortable posting threads of the above-mentioned nature in those types of forums.

Yes, we are more aggressively editing Lounge posts now. This is what "raising the bar" means. It doesn't mean everyone gets a big slice of chocolate cake. It means everyone has to step it up a notch, so we improve things in the long run.

I will be happy to offer explanations, discussions, or debate as to the moderation of any thread in the Lounge, or Lounge moderation policies in general, to any member who so desires them.