Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Dump dump dump....
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2004, 11:10 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Quote:
Originally posted by fat50
Is this to weed out us simple folk?
I certainly hope not. Just an attempt to weed out the lewd and profane junk-talk threads.

--

Thank you for the comments meanroy. I understand what you mean about archiving threads. This is a decent practice for tech threads, but when it really comes down to it, I feel that "no-topic" style threads dilute our archives, for many of the reasons you mentioned. Those kind of threads are fun, and largely harmless, but when they begin to dominate the Lounge, they need to be curtailed.

I agree too that sexual innuendo is acceptable. But it should remain just that -- innuendo. Sexual talk and flirting are natural, normal human stuff, but those topics are best when they are carefully hinted at, not blatantly discussed with no elegance or grace.

The age/generation gap is an especially difficult obstacle to overcome. It is normal/reasonable/common for our older members to adopt a Fundamentalist outlook. I could certainly see myself turning out that way in a few decades. Many of our younger members have completely opposite viewpoints, and this is normal too. Connecting these generations is a formidable challenge, but it is necessary to pass on hotrodding culture, knowledge, and experience. My opinion is that the older generation makes the most sacrifices and compromises for peace around here, but what else is new?

I liked your Lounge analogy -- that is a good one. Bunch of guys joking around in the garage, but watching their mouths because wife, mom, Uncle Mike has just stopped in. And I agree too that Draconian solutions are generally ineffective around here.

--

bowtiebabe -- I'm very sorry to see you go. I wish that we could make every member feel good about this place and want to participate, but I know that it just isn't possible. I understand that we will be losing some members as we strive to exemplify a higher standard, but I feel that what we stand to gain outweighs all that we can lose. Hopefully though, you will check in on us down the line and see what we're up to.

--

Ghetto Jet -- I agree with you. This board is a pretty cool place, and I often wish that I could kick back, put my feet up, get to know people, and just hang out! However, it's very difficult to balance personal wants and professional needs, so I try to err on the side of caution. Nevertheless, I will be posting more in the coming weeks as part of my duties as our newest Lounge moderator, so you should get a few chances to pick my brain.