Dump dump dump.... - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Tazz

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

All in good time.

You can't fight human nature and only time will tell if this site does well under the new rules. Jons house need's Guests...without guests there is no house to visit. So don't chase everyone away.....JON.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2004, 04:31 PM
Get out the ducktape...

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Front brakes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I think you could look at this place like you would a bar or club with the current hot topics of language and rowdiness. On one hand you have your regular crew that buy a lot of food and beer but they get rowdy and run some of the other customers off. On the other hand you have the larger crowd of people that spend some money but get kind of tired by the rowdy crew. (I am not insinuating anybody on this board by any means). Then there are the bouncers ( moderators) whose job it is to sift through the people and determine what is allowed and what isn't. The owner has to find the balance in the situation (Isn't this what you were talking about Jon). He has to keep BOTH sides in check. The owner must determine how to handle the people to find a middle point and decide when to throw someone out. He also has to determine the right people to be the bouncers that help handle the crowd while at the same time keep them in check so they dont get a little overzealous. Now I am all for keeping the lounge under a loose atmosphere by all means. I just believe we are all looking out for number one here. None of these issues are important enough to me to leave or rant about, but I do understand the points that people make. That's why WE'RE not the Admin, Jon is, he makes the decisions and the boards lasted this longer under his control so I'm not gonna holler out revolution by any means.

Last edited by chevelle_502; 09-27-2004 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:59 PM

Last photo:

It's becoming more and more apparent to me that the internet has no politics at all. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is NOT a democracy. It's more like a dictatorship.

Sorry, but MORALS can't be ordered or requested. Rules can be laid out and followed, but under protest. This is pretty much the general consensus around these parts nowadays every time we hear about 'raising the bar' so this website can become an icon of (insert drumroll) "The American Tradition of Hotrodding".

Well here's what happens when you raise the bar. (one man stands clapping in an empty auditorium)

MoocH
Old 09-27-2004, 05:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

The situation is more politics than you think. It's just not a money-based political system like you are accustomed to.

The older crowd possesses the larger portion of automotive knowledge. Thus, they have more power and say over the social atmosphere on the board.

It's yet another way that "Knowledge is power".

If you want to tip the political balance in your favor, just make it so that you possess the greater amount of automotive knowledge. This can be done either by increasing your automotive knowledge (years of study, practice, and patience), or by decreasing their automotive knowledge (lobotomy, blunt blow to the head, or long-term exposure to cable TV). Either way, you will then have more influence on board decisions and day-to-day governing policies.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:30 PM

Last photo:

So I have to devote my life to automotive technology, AND become a certain age before people will respect and take me seriously?

Sorry, I guess I just learned the difference between 'credibility' and 'acceptance'. I just thought I had it all figured out. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

MoocH
Old 09-27-2004, 05:35 PM

Last journal entry: Slow progress

Getting a little ageist here aren't we?

I thought this would cool off and we might reach a nice compromise.

But this IS starting to sound awfully political.

As Neal Stephenson's character says in the Cryptonomicon "There's a strong smell of politics in the air sir!"

If I understand you correctly you are saying that the *ahem* elder members are what are driving this "crackdown".

Thats all very well, and as much as I respect the great knowlege and experience of the old rodders, they are not where the future of Hot Rods lies.
The future lies with the young kids on here that are bringing enthusiasm and new blood to the field.

This is starting to sound very much like the young folks here can no longer expect the respect they are expected to give the older members.
I hate to see this happening.
Perhaps some of the older folks shouldn't be quite so enthusiastic about "encouraging" the younger members to accept their views and values. Young people have to gain life experience of their own, darn few are going to stop thinking and just accept someone elses morals, viewpoints, or values because someone says they should, whether that person has built a hundred Rods or not.

It's starting to sound like this isn't going to be a place where a diversity of views is welcome.

Perhaps I am mis-reading this, I sincerely hope so, because until now this has been a great site and a good forum.

But it's looking grim.

Roy.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

You both need each other. You need them to learn. They need you to carry on their heritage.

k2mooch -- age has little to do with it. If you (or the age group with which I assume you are associating yourself), had a great deal of automotive knowledge, then you would have more power.

It's different in some of the computer forums. Many of the younger guys have more of the knowledge, and they get more of the respect.

I am not claiming this is a perfect situation. I do think it is a reasonable one though.

I think both young and old have to compromise to reach middle ground.

HOWEVER, I do believe that it is often the older guys that make a great deal of the compromises around here. I believe that if the younger generation made a greater effort to display their willingness to compromise, then it would go a long way.

Frankly, it's easier for me to understand your viewpoint, as, when it comes to age, we are very close. Nevertheless, I can tell that the wishes of the older members of the board are now being inadequately represented. Hence, I am looking to strike a balance.

Diversity, different opinions, and contrasting beliefs are what we are all about. However, there must be a balance so that one set of beliefs does not outweigh all the others.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:16 PM

Last photo:

I suppose I came off kinda harsh sounding in my first post. No friction here dude. Just pointing out the obvious problem with the no topic thread.

I enjoyed no topic but to be honest I was happy to see it off of the front page. Good to see you taking a more active role with the site.

Larry

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.