Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   Dump dump dump.... (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/dump-dump-dump-48596.html)

bowtiebabe72 09-27-2004 08:25 AM

Dump dump dump....

Wow....I come back after a long weekend and EVERYTHING is gone....No topic, word association....everyplace where it was fun to chat with other members about meaningless topics. :confused:

Why is everything getting dumped lately?

I can understand threads with sales pitches, or ones that are just asking for trouble. But why two of the most popular threads?

Ghetto Jet 09-27-2004 08:29 AM

Yes having fun is also not allowed in the lounge now, didn't you hear?

coldknock 09-27-2004 09:27 AM

I'm surprised "No Topic" lasted as long as it did. Jon dumped the first one fairly quick. A bunch of pointles topics to post our pointless ramblings in seems to be preferred. Oh well.

I don't understand why the "word association" thread was dumped. It wasn't too long and it seems that a lot of people were participating in it. I thought it was fun but....Oh well.

There's other foums to post our pointless rambling in like,
www.monstergarageoutlaws.com
www.ricehatersclub.com
www.girlongirlracing.com

They don't seem to mind people being themselves no matter how nasty and unsophisticated or completely refined and socially pc you are.

Larry

Jon 09-27-2004 09:45 AM

The threads you speak of were dumped by me, as part of my new duties as our newest Lounge moderator.

I would be happy to discuss the reasons for dumping those threads, or, if you feel that they were dumped unfairly, I would be happy to engage in a debate with you as to the merits of keeping the Lounge post quality above a certain level.

Here's some more detail on why I chose to Dump the threads that you specifically mentioned:

1. No Topic Thread: These sort of threads are fine in moderation, but this one had become extremely long, out of hand, sexually-oriented, and it took up so many pages that it was consuming too much vertical space on the main Hotrodders' Lounge page.

2. Word Association Thread: This type of thread is fine too in moderation, but it had gone on for long enough, and was also becoming sexually oriented and difficult to govern. An OK diversion, but not acceptable as a semi-permanent fixture in the Lounge.

Yes, you are correct -- there are NUMEROUS other hotrodding-themed websites with looser rules. You mentioned a few, and we have dozens of others listed in the Knowledge Base. Some of them are more than 50% "chit-chat", and you might feel more comfortable posting threads of the above-mentioned nature in those types of forums.

Yes, we are more aggressively editing Lounge posts now. This is what "raising the bar" means. It doesn't mean everyone gets a big slice of chocolate cake. It means everyone has to step it up a notch, so we improve things in the long run.

I will be happy to offer explanations, discussions, or debate as to the moderation of any thread in the Lounge, or Lounge moderation policies in general, to any member who so desires them.

fat50 09-27-2004 10:31 AM

Now the lounge posts have to "be stepped up a notch"? In the words of Popeye, "I am's what I am's" and i dont know how to be any better than i am. Is this to weed out us simple folk?

meanroy 09-27-2004 10:31 AM

"No Topic"

Quote:

Originally posted by Jon
The threads you speak of were dumped by me, as part of my new duties as our newest Lounge moderator.

I would be happy to discuss the reasons for dumping those threads, or, if you feel that they were dumped unfairly, I would be happy to engage in a debate with you as to the merits of keeping the Lounge post quality above a certain level.

Here's some more detail on why I chose to Dump the threads that you specifically mentioned:

1. No Topic Thread: These sort of threads are fine in moderation, but this one had become extremely long, out of hand, sexually-oriented, and it took up so many pages that it was consuming too much vertical space on the main Hotrodders' Lounge page.

2. Word Association Thread: ....
Yes, we are more aggressively editing Lounge posts now . ...

I will be happy to offer explanations, discussions, or debate as to the moderation of any thread in the Lounge, or Lounge moderation policies in general, to any member who so desires them.

Hi Jon, I'm glad to see that you will be maintaining a somewhat more active and visible presence here in the Lounge.

I thought I would make a couple of comments here before the flames start.

I know what you mean about the old "No Topic" taking up too much space vertically.
Just a suggestion but that problem can easily be handled by archieving the threads past 10 or so.
Thats what other forums do to handle the problem and the process can be easily automated.

Now as to why should the "no topic" exist at all.
For one thing it's a convenient garbage collector where regular "Lounge Lizards" can say hi, joke around, vent about their day, and so on without trashing the Lounge with a million trivial threads.
I haven't been posting there a lot lately, been too busy, but I always find something to laugh about in it and, for the most part, it was pretty harmless fun. Especially for some of the younger folks.

As the the sexual content, I certainly agree blatent sexual content is inappropriate in that thread or any other. However, a little innuendo seems to be acceptable to most of the folks who posted in it. If it's getting out of hand, a casual word from you would, I'm sure, cure the problem. We have a lot of young people here, they enjoy a little joking and flirting, and I don't see the harm in it if it's kept reasonable.

One of the sources of friction between members is the wide age range of the members. Another is the differing standards of the members. We have certainly all seen the differing political views. There are also a number of quite religious members, whose standards are quite a bit more restrictive than the standards of many of the other members. While I respect their views especially with regard to the language used by the younger members, (and some of the older too) I think we should maintain a little separation of church and state here just to keep the playing field level, so to speak. We're not all Christian Fundamentalists.

While indeed this is a Hot Rod site, the lounge is a place for us to meet, joke around, discuss hot rod and non-hot rod topics.

If you think about it, it's similar to a bunch of rodders getting together in someones garage after a race or a show, sharing a few brews and talking about whats happening on a personal level.
If we just make believe mom (wife, girlfriend, Uncle Mike etc.) has dropped in and keep the language and comment to the level that would be appropriate in that situation, it shouldn't be necessary to be too draconian in applying censorship.
Like breaking Horses, a gentle hand may yield better results than a whip.

So anyway, thats my plea for the "No Topic" thread. I hope you find it reasonable.

Roy.

Ghetto Jet 09-27-2004 10:35 AM

man, someone should make meanroy a moderator.

bowtiebabe72 09-27-2004 10:37 AM

Jon-
I don't want to have a "debate" as to why they were dumped...you have the authority to do it and you saw the need to do it. My opinions really don't matter here what so ever and I have a feeling that you could really care less as to what I have to say, as well as what quite a few others have to say on here as well. :mad:

To everyone else, Demands at work are calling me and I have less and less time to be on here. The current state of the board is a bit appalling, seeing that nobody can just drop their differences and live in harmony. This board was wonderful while it lasted, but it seems I must move on to bigger and better opportunities.

If anyone would like to get ahold of me, my AIM handle is Bowtiebabe72 and also lins6872. Aaron has my email.

Good Luck to everyone on their projects and I hope to keep in touch with you.

*Cheers*

-Lindsey

And Roy-
Nicely put :thumbup:

Ghetto Jet 09-27-2004 10:50 AM

Jon while your reading every thread looking for content to edit participate some, like the other mods. Let everyone get to know who you a little.

Jon 09-27-2004 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by fat50
Is this to weed out us simple folk?
I certainly hope not. Just an attempt to weed out the lewd and profane junk-talk threads.

--

Thank you for the comments meanroy. I understand what you mean about archiving threads. This is a decent practice for tech threads, but when it really comes down to it, I feel that "no-topic" style threads dilute our archives, for many of the reasons you mentioned. Those kind of threads are fun, and largely harmless, but when they begin to dominate the Lounge, they need to be curtailed.

I agree too that sexual innuendo is acceptable. But it should remain just that -- innuendo. Sexual talk and flirting are natural, normal human stuff, but those topics are best when they are carefully hinted at, not blatantly discussed with no elegance or grace.

The age/generation gap is an especially difficult obstacle to overcome. It is normal/reasonable/common for our older members to adopt a Fundamentalist outlook. I could certainly see myself turning out that way in a few decades. Many of our younger members have completely opposite viewpoints, and this is normal too. Connecting these generations is a formidable challenge, but it is necessary to pass on hotrodding culture, knowledge, and experience. My opinion is that the older generation makes the most sacrifices and compromises for peace around here, but what else is new?

I liked your Lounge analogy -- that is a good one. Bunch of guys joking around in the garage, but watching their mouths because wife, mom, Uncle Mike has just stopped in. And I agree too that Draconian solutions are generally ineffective around here.

--

bowtiebabe -- I'm very sorry to see you go. I wish that we could make every member feel good about this place and want to participate, but I know that it just isn't possible. I understand that we will be losing some members as we strive to exemplify a higher standard, but I feel that what we stand to gain outweighs all that we can lose. Hopefully though, you will check in on us down the line and see what we're up to.

--

Ghetto Jet -- I agree with you. This board is a pretty cool place, and I often wish that I could kick back, put my feet up, get to know people, and just hang out! However, it's very difficult to balance personal wants and professional needs, so I try to err on the side of caution. Nevertheless, I will be posting more in the coming weeks as part of my duties as our newest Lounge moderator, so you should get a few chances to pick my brain.

bowtiebabe72 09-27-2004 11:16 AM

I don't know if I am leaving forever. This site has INCREDIBLE tech advice, which is what drew me to the site in the first place. I think I just need a little break from the lounge for awhile.
I just want everyone to get along and when the largest topic is basically fighting...I just cannot deal with it. I will be checking back periodically into the lounge, say what's up, and seeing if all the drama has calmed down. When it does, I'll be back.

Again Jon, the tech forums are great and you are to be commended for them. Even the most obscure question is answered in them.

I guess I just really don't know what to think or say...this is just an internet forum really, but I have fun on here during the day. I don't want to leave whatever friendships I have made on here, but I also don't want to read the soap opera that is the lounge.

Jon 09-27-2004 11:21 AM

bowtiebabe -- cool, glad to hear you're not out the door for good yet.

Quote:

Originally posted by bowtiebabe72
I guess I just really don't know what to think or say...this is just an internet forum really, but I have fun on here during the day. I don't want to leave whatever friendships I have made on here, but I also don't want to read the soap opera that is the lounge.
I think A LOT of our members agree with what you just said. I believe we can preserve the fun environment, but drop the soap opera.

akm 09-27-2004 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jon
I think A LOT of our members agree with what you just said. I believe we can preserve the fun environment, but drop the soap opera.
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

"these are, the days of our lives" :smash:

bowtiebabe72 09-27-2004 12:45 PM

Hey! Aaron....days is awesome...alright, maybe not.

akm 09-27-2004 12:58 PM

all i need is the History channel and Animal Planet to surive. i really don't watch much TV.
i think i heard that in the movie "The Sweetest Thing", lol.