Dupli Color Paint Shop auto paint Lacquer - Page 13 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011, 05:27 AM
One hand clapping.

Last journal entry: Baby Steps
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Shine, I've seen the infomercials that demo this DupliColor system. I was so impressed I went out and bought some. Then again, I was also impressed with GLH (Great Looking Hair). I wasn't going bald but just in case, I bought a one-year supply of this stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GeF7A05zQ8

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011, 06:51 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

glh is probably a better product.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

WOW! This post is still going! Funny stuff! I started it To see if the product works! because of the negitive feed back it was all I needed to test the paint out and to this day the paint is doing fine!
1. Is it a great paint NO!
2. DO you need a booth NO!
3. What everyone forgets when comparing price is the learn curve equipment and all the costly mistake that never seem to end time and time again!
4. Basic skills and understand the procress is all you need!
5. no mixing or figuring!
6. To the Pro that has already done the learn curve The point is well take why when much better product are out there!
7. For the guy that does not want to do the learning curve and the high cost of mistake this is a paint to think about cost! project! skill level! and equipment and tools.
8. I think it hits a place in the market! As for me that would be the old beater daily drive dirt bike dune buggies 4x4! retouch repaint as needed!
9. Its a new formula which means its a lot friendlier than bc cc
10. Last and let face it Its all going water base soon. So it a mood point anyway! don't you think??

Craig
Old 01-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTruckGuy
I think it hits a place in the market! As for me that would be the old beater daily drive dirt bike dune buggies 4x4!
There is already a product on the market for that....its called rattle can krylon, and its actually a better paint than the paint shop ****.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:12 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

the guys that see the dupli-color in the parts store and read that its ready to shoot right out of the can.
are the same guys that have never painted, never been in the auto body supply store, and think using (mixing) real auto paint is some magical voodoo!
they look at the can and say, hey i can do this, and dont realize they can use the good stuff also (with better results).
Old 01-11-2011, 06:41 PM

Last journal entry: Final getting around to start back up
Last photo:

I have used the duplicolor Paint shop!

Hey there ChevyTruckGuy. I have read your post and I too have thought long and hard about the paint from duplicolor. So i researched it really good and come to the conclusion that i would take and try it. Guess What? I am not a great painter by no means, i am a diy guy and believe me this was awesome. I decided to paint my dash out of my 38 Chevy pickup. I ordered the mineral gray, it was $22.00 a quart, I bought a can of primer and then a can of clear also. I had it primed in no time and let it cure as the directions said on the side of the can. which was a step by step process, i then have sprayed the dash a total of 6 coats, i have not sprayed the clear yet do to my shop is not climate control, so it will hang until it gets warmer. To make a long story kinda short, i have used the Duplicolor Paint Shop lacquers paint and so far it is great stuff. go ahead just go with your gut. i did. and have not regret it at all. By the I have a good friend that does custom painting and he said he would use it to. so there you have it from a guy that has used the product. have fun and enjoy.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
the guys that see the dupli-color in the parts store and read that its ready to shoot right out of the can.
are the same guys that have never painted, never been in the auto body supply store, and think using (mixing) real auto paint is some magical voodoo!
they look at the can and say, hey i can do this, and dont realize they can use the good stuff also (with better results).
I agree you can! Still everyone forget about that good old learing curve and the tool and costs you need to get that result and lets face it may not be the first time or second time. But my reason for seeing a use for this product is not the same as most!

Craig
Old 01-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350
There is already a product on the market for that....its called rattle can krylon, and its actually a better paint than the paint shop ****.

Thats a rattle can paint Job? Water thin paint! At least dup is a little thicker!

Craig
Old 04-09-2011, 06:37 AM

Laquer

I guess if your painting a beater and just want a temporary fix... ok, but it would only look ok! for a short time! I've done high end lacquer jobs that were beautiful back in the day but only after huge time spent wet sanding and polishing, and babying, the elements will kill it! guaranteed! we used to do spotins on the floor on the 70's and 80s gm cars (gm lacquer)and could achieve a decent match and finnish, those cars would die out in no time,
Old 04-09-2011, 10:01 PM
36 Dream

Last journal entry: The fire...
Last photo:

Duplicolor - on alumninum heads

Anybody out there done this and pleased with sucess over time? I've got fast burn heads and desiring to paint them black along with the block. Heads are polished on the ends....Do I need to used an etching primer?
Old 04-10-2011, 07:47 AM

Etch

If they are aluminum I would apply a light coat of etch followed by a light coat of epoxy, then paint, always worked for me, steel the same but etch is not as important, if you want to clear bare aluminum... house of colors makes clear a product to promote adhesion..cant remember its name,
Old 04-10-2011, 10:36 AM
36 Dream

Last journal entry: The fire...
Last photo:

Etch primer

Thanks....I suspected that would be the case...I had watched a Overhaulin show on TV and they installed a crate Edelbrock. The heads came out of the crate aluminum, but they painted them red to match the block...In my case I had melting of rubber and plastic due to a garage fire....I've tried a lot of stuff to clean the heads up, but the casting areas are simply stained to the point that painting them seems the way to go. I've had the oil pan and manifold powder coated with a turqoise blue and thought I would do the block and heads in black. This will be consistent with the two tone color of the car.

So, your saying follow the etch primer with epoxy...I assume the dupli-color ceramic requires the same as epoxy?
Old 04-10-2011, 11:20 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Powder coated cylinder heads.....hmmm.....you just gave me a good idea.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:15 PM

etch

Sorry I,m really not all that familiar with duplicolor, but aluminum needs an etch so I imagine it would apply to duplicolor as well, I forgot to mention I would scotchbrite the shiny area's to give the etch something to bite too,
Old 04-10-2011, 03:51 PM

etch

Sorry I,m really not all that familiar with duplicolor, but aluminum needs an etch so I imagine it would apply to duplicolor as well, I forgot to mention I would scotchbrite the shiny area's to give the etch something to bite too,

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.