Hot Rod Forum banner

Dupli Color Paint Shop auto paint Lacquer

267K views 231 replies 66 participants last post by  seven up 
#1 ·
Has anyone watch then spray this product on Truck. About time Lacquer make a come back with new earth friendly components. I went to there web site and watched the video on spraying the product cool. And the price is right 200.00 for a complete paint job paint come already mix He I thought it was perfect.

OK paint pro's what ya Think?

Craig

#4 ·
I'm not a paint expert by any means. I did see the show you are refering to and it got my interest too. since my truck will be a daily driver and I'm sure not going to win any shows with it...I'm seriously considering that paint. But I checked their website and it seemed the color selection was limited. I will definately keep an eye on it though.

Barry

#5 ·
This stuff is perfect for my Camry.

Guys I saw the show Sunday also and recognized the guy doing the body work as one of the guys who produced a paintuation DVD I purchased. But back to my story. I have 95 Camry , I hit a 200 pound deer with years back. So I just went to a salvage yard and bought a OEM used hood which is blue in color and does not match my Dk. Emerald Pearl M car color. They have the spray can color to match my cars color, so I'm thinking of just using this to match up the hood color to the rest of the vehicle. The hood still has the serial writing from the salvage yard. So what do you think, scuff up the hood which has the factory paint on it still in perfect shape with some 600 grit and let it fly. Then spray on some clear and buff away? this sounds like fun and this vehicle I drive is my "Downtown" mobile. So I'm not to concern about being perfect.

:thumbup:

#8 ·
This was fun.

Ok, after seeing the show and reading some stuff I took my downtown mobile with its non match hood and used the duplicolor that matched my car color and painted a section. It looks great. See this vehicles what I drive down town to discourage being broken into and mood hood does not match. But bad bing. Man that stuffs cool. My wife came in from work and saw my test section and was amazed that the paint could come that close to matching out of a can. Can't wait to paint the rest of the hood...
:pimp:

#11 ·
Not a paint guy either BUT wannabe! I have been told by someone I feel is very knowledge to stay away from Laquer. Urthene is the way to go. But with that said you CAN'T bypass the price. Mine is a daily driver, actually a weekend driver but is exposed to the elements 24/7. Would LOVE to see some pics of a completed Duplicolor car/truck. Pre mixed is a little more expensive in the long run, but convient and if you are painting a panel at a time with a PreVal sprayer, MAY Be the ONLY way to go?

#12 ·
Evil Scotsman said:
Not a paint guy either BUT wannabe! I have been told by someone I feel is very knowledge to stay away from Laquer. Urthene is the way to go. But with that said you CAN'T bypass the price. Mine is a daily driver, actually a weekend driver but is exposed to the elements 24/7. Would LOVE to see some pics of a completed Duplicolor car/truck. Pre mixed is a little more expensive in the long run, but convient and if you are painting a panel at a time with a PreVal sprayer, MAY Be the ONLY way to go?
I'm going to shoot my Son's truck in black using the Duplicolor system We just got it in at the local Checker Auto 22.00 a quart ready to shoot. Davids did a show on this paint to and he said it was a good paint to start with. I just like using lacquer it the way to go!!

I think its the perfect paint to shoot if your doing it at home. So time will tell if it catches on. I think it will and make everyone else follow suit.

Craig

#13 ·
I was intrigued by this stuff in the parts store the other day. Near as I can tell it's already "reduced" and ready to spray. My guess is that it is the exact same stuff that they've sold for years in spray cans, just in a different package. Given that, I won't be painting anything with it. I could, but a single stage synthetic enamel paint wouldn't cost that much more. And I'm pretty sure would outlast the Duplicolor stuff by a wide margin.
I'd like to hear what more experienced folks have to say about it though.

#14 ·
Well, maybe someone can post prices of this stuff and then we can do a comparison. It's pretty hard for me to understand why a guy would want to go so cheap on paint when the finish can pretty much make or break the look of the vehicle. Enough decent quality acrylic urethane to paint a car can be bought for about the same price as a decent flat tappet cam and lifter set.

#15 ·
crashtech said:
Well, maybe someone can post prices of this stuff and then we can do a comparison. It's pretty hard for me to understand why a guy would want to go so cheap on paint when the finish can pretty much make or break the look of the vehicle. Enough decent quality acrylic urethane to paint a car can be bought for about the same price as a decent flat tappet cam and lifter set.
I quoted a checker auto price $22.00 a quart primer paint color and a clear coat a complete system.

So primer 22 bucks a quart then a paint color then a clear coat.

So far Trucks and Gears have given it a thumbs up as a starter paint home projects.

So what the problem?? If you go to there web site you can watch them shoot a car with the whole system! so don't knock it tell you try it.

Craig

#16 ·
ssaahemifan said:
The Duplicolor product is acrylic lacquer. It will NOT hold up for a everyday car that sits outside. Avid rain , bird droppings , etc. will destroy it rather quick.
Do any of you find it funny the experienced painters on here don't bother to post about this? (they're laughing to hard) Crashtech who owns a shop seems to be the exception, perhaps it is because they know this is a joke and a red or orange would remain the same for about six months in the sun.
OH! I'm sorry, I forgot about the orange charger that has been shown on the net for last 5-7 years. Yep!

Use it, but perhaps we should now start a thread as to how we repaint when the paint crazes, it will not be a sand and paint for sure.

Paint your car and in next six months to a year there are a lot of experienced painters on here that have worked with this type of paint in the past and will be happy to help you redo your car, keep an eye out in the meantime for sales on sand-blasters.

Good luck.

#17 ·
you will have as much luck with a 5 gallon bucket of house enamel and a roller. if you only want to spend that kind of money go to maco. you'll get a better job. and anything you learn using it will be useless in todays world of paint. there are plenty of cheap 3rd line urethanes out there that will out last this stuff.

#18 ·
I tried it

And never again will I use that cheap paint..it does not cover and takes about 2-5 times as much as a quality paint to do the same job..I used some of their bed liner and I will have to grind it all out and do it over..It peeled on me..

there is no savings in using it as far as I can see..

Sam

#19 ·
There are so many ways to do things wrong, and far fewer ways to do things right. Duplicolor is a wrong way, IMO.

If I need to establish some cred on the issue, I painted my last lacquer job in 1991, using PPG Duracryl acrylic lacquer, which I'd wager is superior to Duplicolor, as far as lacquer goes. But it still sucked, as in don't leave it parked outside or you will have to wax it EVERY WEEK, and even then you could tell the finish was just dying away on you. NEVER AGAIN!!!

#20 ·
I did mostly lacquer work up untill the early 90's with Dupont Lucite, Ditzler Duracryl, RM, ACME, HOK.... My favorite lacquer clear was Dupont, 2131S?
Did the jobs look good?-hel yes! Did I experiment with different undercoats to try and get the jobs to last?-yup. Did I enjoy working with lacquer?-yes it was a very easy product to work with IMO. But the product just didn't hold up and the old timers I worked with at the time blamed the durability problems with the removal of lead from the paint. Some of the custom shops were letting their work shrink for a full year before the last stage of paint got applied just to try and increase the odds of survival. The newly finished results were outstanding but with the durability problems you could watch the paint deteriorate as time went by. BC/CC urethane systems came in big during the late 80's early 90's in this area and we all fought the learning curve, PPG's DBU, Dupont's Chromabase, ACME probase?, and RM dissapeared from the area. Many fought with delamination problems (ACME) as the paint companies sorted out the problems with the new systems but when it performed right it lasted much longer than lacquer. Now we have systems that honestly I expect will last 30ish+ years or more if maintained.

#21 ·
OK SO has anyone looked at or shot this stuff to make an informed comment?

Now Truck paint with it, Gears painted with it SO ya it was a plug for there product. A starter paint was expressed. The question remains HAS any of you wonder boy try it to make a pro or con statement stick!. You will be com petting with Trucks And Grears. HEHEHE!

I'm going to shoot it one for my son to learn second its his first ride and I expect him to tear it up. So for a daily driver or a first timer or the offroad guy I think it perfect.
So tell some one else shoot it and has a different comment I'm going with Trucks and Gear and try it out.

Craig

#22 ·
I shot a steering Column with it last week. It didn't come out bad.

It sounds like the major problem is with lacquer in general and dupli-color's lacquer probably isn't as good as a top manufactures lacquer product.

I am by no means a knowledgeable painter, but what I take from this is if you want a halfway quality paint job then stay away from lacquer completely, no matter whos product it is.

Tony

#23 ·
indyracer said:
I shot a steering Column with it last week. It didn't come out bad.

It sounds like the major problem is with lacquer in general and dupli-color's lacquer probably isn't as good as a top manufactures lacquer product.

I am by no means a knowledgeable painter, but what I take from this is if you want a halfway quality paint job then stay away from lacquer completely, no matter whos product it is.

Tony
I'm not a pro my self But, Trucks did do a good layout on painting a Bronco I watch then shoot it seemed to cover well and look good from my chair LOL does not mean anything tell you shoot it your self and see how it works for your application. I'm more interested in the new formula and how it will last.
As far as Lacquer goes they were pull from paint long ago. SO its peak my interest in new cheaper paint with out the hazard warning going with then! Is its the start of something new?

Craig

#25 ·
The problem with getting a straight story from anyone dumb enough to spray their vehicle with junk paint is that down the road, when it goes bad, they will be too ashamed to tell the truth, or that their standards are so low that "looks great" to them would look like crap to a normal person. Either way, the truth will not be known.

Like I mentioned before and in other threads, you have guys that willingly spend big dollars on engine, driveline, and suspension, but then want to buy a $20 gallon of paint? The sponsors of most shows and mags are only to happy to see that happen, as 99% of them are trying to sell hard parts and not paint.

The best paint IS very expensive. But you don't have to get the best to do a decent job. Diving to the bottom of the barrel to get Rustoleum or Duplicolor etc. is just plain foolishness. Depending on the color, a gallon of mid-level acrylic urethane paint with hardener can be had for about $150.

Yours Truly,
Wonder Boy :welcome:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.