Dupli Color Paint Shop auto paint Lacquer - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 05:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaahemifan
The Duplicolor product is acrylic lacquer. It will NOT hold up for a everyday car that sits outside. Avid rain , bird droppings , etc. will destroy it rather quick.
Do any of you find it funny the experienced painters on here don't bother to post about this? (they're laughing to hard) Crashtech who owns a shop seems to be the exception, perhaps it is because they know this is a joke and a red or orange would remain the same for about six months in the sun.
OH! I'm sorry, I forgot about the orange charger that has been shown on the net for last 5-7 years. Yep!

Use it, but perhaps we should now start a thread as to how we repaint when the paint crazes, it will not be a sand and paint for sure.

Paint your car and in next six months to a year there are a lot of experienced painters on here that have worked with this type of paint in the past and will be happy to help you redo your car, keep an eye out in the meantime for sales on sand-blasters.

Good luck.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2007, 07:14 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

you will have as much luck with a 5 gallon bucket of house enamel and a roller. if you only want to spend that kind of money go to maco. you'll get a better job. and anything you learn using it will be useless in todays world of paint. there are plenty of cheap 3rd line urethanes out there that will out last this stuff.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I tried it

And never again will I use that cheap paint..it does not cover and takes about 2-5 times as much as a quality paint to do the same job..I used some of their bed liner and I will have to grind it all out and do it over..It peeled on me..

there is no savings in using it as far as I can see..

Sam
Old 07-19-2007, 11:12 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

There are so many ways to do things wrong, and far fewer ways to do things right. Duplicolor is a wrong way, IMO.

If I need to establish some cred on the issue, I painted my last lacquer job in 1991, using PPG Duracryl acrylic lacquer, which I'd wager is superior to Duplicolor, as far as lacquer goes. But it still sucked, as in don't leave it parked outside or you will have to wax it EVERY WEEK, and even then you could tell the finish was just dying away on you. NEVER AGAIN!!!
Old 07-20-2007, 06:59 AM

Last photo:

I did mostly lacquer work up untill the early 90's with Dupont Lucite, Ditzler Duracryl, RM, ACME, HOK.... My favorite lacquer clear was Dupont, 2131S?
Did the jobs look good?-hel yes! Did I experiment with different undercoats to try and get the jobs to last?-yup. Did I enjoy working with lacquer?-yes it was a very easy product to work with IMO. But the product just didn't hold up and the old timers I worked with at the time blamed the durability problems with the removal of lead from the paint. Some of the custom shops were letting their work shrink for a full year before the last stage of paint got applied just to try and increase the odds of survival. The newly finished results were outstanding but with the durability problems you could watch the paint deteriorate as time went by. BC/CC urethane systems came in big during the late 80's early 90's in this area and we all fought the learning curve, PPG's DBU, Dupont's Chromabase, ACME probase?, and RM dissapeared from the area. Many fought with delamination problems (ACME) as the paint companies sorted out the problems with the new systems but when it performed right it lasted much longer than lacquer. Now we have systems that honestly I expect will last 30ish+ years or more if maintained.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

OK SO has anyone looked at or shot this stuff to make an informed comment?

Now Truck paint with it, Gears painted with it SO ya it was a plug for there product. A starter paint was expressed. The question remains HAS any of you wonder boy try it to make a pro or con statement stick!. You will be com petting with Trucks And Grears. HEHEHE!

I'm going to shoot it one for my son to learn second its his first ride and I expect him to tear it up. So for a daily driver or a first timer or the offroad guy I think it perfect.
So tell some one else shoot it and has a different comment I'm going with Trucks and Gear and try it out.

Craig
Old 07-20-2007, 03:22 PM

I shot a steering Column with it last week. It didn't come out bad.

It sounds like the major problem is with lacquer in general and dupli-color's lacquer probably isn't as good as a top manufactures lacquer product.

I am by no means a knowledgeable painter, but what I take from this is if you want a halfway quality paint job then stay away from lacquer completely, no matter whos product it is.

Tony
Old 07-20-2007, 04:01 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyracer
I shot a steering Column with it last week. It didn't come out bad.

It sounds like the major problem is with lacquer in general and dupli-color's lacquer probably isn't as good as a top manufactures lacquer product.

I am by no means a knowledgeable painter, but what I take from this is if you want a halfway quality paint job then stay away from lacquer completely, no matter whos product it is.

Tony
I'm not a pro my self But, Trucks did do a good layout on painting a Bronco I watch then shoot it seemed to cover well and look good from my chair LOL does not mean anything tell you shoot it your self and see how it works for your application. I'm more interested in the new formula and how it will last.
As far as Lacquer goes they were pull from paint long ago. SO its peak my interest in new cheaper paint with out the hazard warning going with then! Is its the start of something new?

Craig
Old 07-20-2007, 04:05 PM

Last photo:

Use it, let us know how it goes, good luck.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

The problem with getting a straight story from anyone dumb enough to spray their vehicle with junk paint is that down the road, when it goes bad, they will be too ashamed to tell the truth, or that their standards are so low that "looks great" to them would look like crap to a normal person. Either way, the truth will not be known.

Like I mentioned before and in other threads, you have guys that willingly spend big dollars on engine, driveline, and suspension, but then want to buy a $20 gallon of paint? The sponsors of most shows and mags are only to happy to see that happen, as 99% of them are trying to sell hard parts and not paint.

The best paint IS very expensive. But you don't have to get the best to do a decent job. Diving to the bottom of the barrel to get Rustoleum or Duplicolor etc. is just plain foolishness. Depending on the color, a gallon of mid-level acrylic urethane paint with hardener can be had for about $150.

Yours Truly,
Wonder Boy
Old 07-20-2007, 06:16 PM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

gosh, what would we know crash. we aint on tv. only been painting 35 years .

wonder boy II
Old 07-21-2007, 01:22 AM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

HA! Wonder boy's I would not call Stacy David a TV promo add man.

There is a old construction saying! So you have welded for thirty year? Yes! BUT can you weld!!

The thing that get me is you have not tried it touch it play with it Yet you assume!

Now Remember its been said a STARTER PAINT! By the two Shows! What does that mean? how long will it last what would you use it for Question! Question! for a New product!

SO wonder boys how do you test a new product? LOL

Product Test in order to answer you have to use the product!!

1. Is it a good starter paint?
2. How long will it last? (This one may take time to answer.)
3. Finished product over all look?
4. What was it you liked or dis liked about using the product?

Are ya! to cheap to pony up the 22 bucks a quart to test it. LOL
one color and the clear coat. Put you money where you mouth is.

A good debate so far I like it! Anyone up for the challenge?

Craig
Old 07-21-2007, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTruckGuy
OK SO has anyone looked at or shot this stuff to make an informed comment?Craig
Apparently you are not listening to the pro painters that have sprayed many gallons of lacquer paint. Not a one of them has said a good comment about lacquer in general. Sorry but who cares if no one has not used duplicolor lacquer its STILL lacquer and its still junk.

Trucks, gears who ever are all driven by the all mightly dollar.

Theres no need to put our money where our month is. We've been down that road before. Why dont you pony up the cash and prove US wrong ...Eric
Old 07-21-2007, 07:14 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

do you have any idea how many "new and improved" products that are dumped on the market each year ? why would a professional painter spend money on something he already knows is not going to work ? i don't have to spend money or try this crap. we come on these boards to help people and this is the thanks we get ? use the stuff , enjoy it , claim all you want but we know better. i really don't care. you did not hear what you wanted so your unhappy. funny no one has jumped in hear saying how wonderful this stuff is. fyi crash has probably forgotten more than you will ever learn about painting .some of us have swore we would never help again because of guys like you but then there are many on here that need help and appreciate the help. you sir are on your own.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:05 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

The problem, like I have always said, is that there are some people that come here for actual help. There are some people that come here to get the "right answer". The problem is that the "right answer" is what they want to hear(read), not the truth.

Lacquer has been around in different forms for years. It was replaced for a couple of reasons. It don't hold up worth a crap, being one that many people understand. Although people seem to think it is safer, it is also quite hazardous. If you spray lacquer without good ventilation, you will find that you get real "high" from it. That ain't good, as it kills brain cells. Lacquer thinner will be absorbed into your skin and attacks your liver, worse than alcohol will. It is also quite flamable/explosive when sprayed.

I am not a professional painter, and have only painted occasionally since about 1973. The last car that I painted with lacquer was in about 96. That was after stripping the thing to bare metal and doing all the work to make it near perfect. Only 2 years later, it looked like crap. I have since had to strip it again, and all the filler and other work was for nothing, as I had to do it again. That was several months of work that had to be done to strip and repaint it the second time.

Lacquer does nothing to help learn how to paint either. It is extremely forgiving, as it is basically dry when it hits the surface. You know that everything has to be sanded and buffed, so the texture is no big deal. If you want to learn, but a lower priced urethane and learn on what you will need to be using.

You can't learn to drive a car with a bicycle!

Aaron

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.