Dupli Color Paint Shop auto paint Lacquer - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007, 07:17 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTruckGuy
Anyone up for the challenge?
This is a hot rod site. If we want to experiment we go out to the shop and experiment. We don't expect others to do our product testing and experimentation for us. Getting comments and opinions from those who have experience is an excellent starting point. But when the "pros" come on here and lend their expertise and years of experience it is hardly appropriate for we novices to ridicule them or demean their recommendations. If we don't buy what they say we don't spit in their faces. We get to work on the "challenge" ourselves.

We don't endlessly point to TV shows. We don't swap bar talk. We don't quote magazine articles. We get to work and do the testing ourselves.

So if you don't buy what the experts tell you...then get off your butt, get out into the shop and be a real hot rodder. Go shoot your paint.

Here's my suggestion:

1) Stop debating this or writing any more posts.

2) Go buy yourself all the supplies you saw on some TV show.

3) Get out to the shop and apply the materials as directed.

4) Take a bunch of pictures and put them in a lock box.

5) One year from when you finish the job, after the vehicle has sat in the elements for 12 months, take another bunch of pictures and post the "before and after shots" on this forum. At THAT point, assuming your paint is still perfect, you can BEGIN to question the veracity of the paint pros on this site.

Keep in mind, I'm all for innovation, doing something different, trying out new techniques, and even occasionally going BACK to an old product like lacquer to see for myself if it will do the job. But I do these things MYSELF. I don't expect others to take up MY challenge. And I certainly don't purposely try to annoy or demean those who offer me their candid advice.

Those in the know have given the best advice they can provide. It is now up to YOU to demonstrate you have a better way. Don't TELL them you have a better way. SHOW them you have a better way. Big difference.

Short of doing that...it's just all yakking.

Dewey

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

Funny thing Your right ! Someone has to shoot it. Last Duplicolor Is running the Show Vid's I mentioned on painting. The truck's Show is the one that made me concider using it. Other projects you might want to look at them too. The other funny thing is its not pro stuff but still its offending some.

www.duplicolor.com

But I have a feeling your comment's will be the same. So for the guy's that don't have the cash a low buck project offroading daily driver. first paint job I think this is a way to concider. As the pros have said Its just junk paint and a wast of time you be the judge and that the point of a forum.

I think they said the same thing when Harbor Freight came out too. But we go and buy some stuff is good and some is junk but we do it. Does money play a factor in you buy a product Yep!!

So all you be the judge good bad time will tell.

Craig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

One more thing there are about three vid's they shot on the Paint Shop product. Ones a small car then Truck Universe does a Jeep and last Trucks shoots the bronco a cool job.

www.duplicolor.com

Craig
Old 07-21-2007, 03:45 PM

Buy the stuff paint your truck already.
We cant seem to help you rethink your choice since we dont have a tv show that is sponsored by corporate america.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:39 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Dewey.... There are 3 professionals that have posted here, Bob, Shine, and Crash. All 3 have been posting here for years, and are some of the most helpfull and knowledgeable on this forum. They take their time and always provide good information to help people. If any one of those 3 were to tell me that the sun was going to rise in the west tomorrow, from their past history, I would have to believe them. They all give up their valuable time to help people here, but some just won't believe them. I guess it is because they don't have a TV show, and get paid for pushing some outdated product.

I am working on a project that I have been working on since Feb. and should be ready for paint soon. There is no way that I would use lacquer on something that I have that much time invested in. If someone's time isn't worth more than a couple of bucks, then maybe they should use that stuff and learn the hard way. They have been warned!

Aaron
Old 07-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevt_chevelle
Buy the stuff paint your truck already.
We cant seem to help you rethink your choice since we dont have a tv show that is sponsored by corporate america.
That's already the plan I'm going down in about ten minutes and pick up a quart. Funny thing is everyones up in arms over a Non Top of the line new product! Not one pro so far has look at the web site or the paints make up. I find it strange one would judge a product in that way.

So tell someone look at there site reviews the paint and watches the vids and there claims! So I would like to hear a comment on facts or the vids. Not my thirty year means this! I can't tell you how many time I have heard that one. That what's got my goat!

So will the product do what they claim? Is it more earth friendly that what your using now? I think that simple enough!!

Let here the facts! guys!

Craig
Old 07-21-2007, 07:03 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Not one pro so far has look at the web site or the paints make up. I find it strange one would judge a product in that way. So tell someone look at there site reviews the paint and watches the vids and there claims!
a) Stop Posting.
b) Enter garage.
c) Shoot Paint.
d) Report in a year.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:07 PM

I used it

Hello all!
First time painter here - very inexperienced. I'm almost finished painting my car with the DupliColor system (down to buffing stage). As I've never done this before, I don't have anything to compare it to, but I get the feeling that it definately was not worth it. (I'm just a bit discouraged though)
I've got some pics of my project along the way - I'll post them and some comments in the next day or so.

Please keep in mind that I don't think I did a very good job, so it may be that the paint is great and I just suck. I'll let the pics speak for themselves and you all be the judges.

Lenny
Old 07-21-2007, 08:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
That's already the plan I'm going down in about ten minutes and pick up a quart. Funny thing is everyones up in arms over a Non Top of the line new product! Not one pro so far has look at the web site or the paints make up. I find it strange one would judge a product in that way.

So tell someone look at there site reviews the paint and watches the vids and there claims! So I would like to hear a comment on facts or the vids. Not my thirty year means this! I can't tell you how many time I have heard that one. That what's got my goat!

So will the product do what they claim? Is it more earth friendly that what your using now? I think that simple enough!!

Let here the facts! guys!

Craig
It's not a new product (lacquer) and it's not cheap really considering the reduction ratio if you compare it to an entry level urethane. This has all been discussed a few times before. Let us know how it goes, sounds like you've got yourself talked into it so give it a whirl. I won't say I told you so, sometimes you just have to prove it to yourself. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:52 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

Quote:
Funny thing is everyones up in arms over a Non Top of the line new product!
My objection is to an obviously inferior product being ignorantly promoted to the guys who come to this forum looking for good information.

Quote:
Not one pro so far has look at the web site or the paints make up. I find it strange one would judge a product in that way.
That's not true, as a matter of fact I spent a considerable amount of time on the duplicolor.com website, long enough to make an informed guess as to the paint's composition and quality. Unfortunately, Dupli-Color makes it very difficult to access PDS or MSDS sheets. They are hosted off-site at paintdocs.com, where you basically need the SKU of the product to do an accurate search.

Quote:
I don't need to watch a video to know that lacquer, especially a lacquer topcoat, is an inferior product for 99.9% of applications. It's just a fact. But the one video I did watch was a decent tutorial of how to do a good job with a spray can. They did stress cleanliness, which is important to prevent delamination of the finish.

Quote:
Well, the product will indeed spray onto a vehicle and be glossy for a time, after extensive color sanding and polishing. Earth friendly? No, as a matter of fact, lacquers are no longer legal to use except as a niche product precisely because of its low solids content and high VOC content (think smog making stuff). Lacquer could be considered less dangerous to humans, as it contains no isocyanates, as does urethane paint. But isocyanates break down to urea when released into the environment, so while poisonous to humans in the immediate area, they pose little environmental threat.

Dupli-Color also claims their product is durable. Durable compared to what? They don't say. But the site goes on to describe enamel as "very durable", so even they are admitting that their lacquer is not even as durable as one of their SPRAY CAN products.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtkart
Dewey.... There are 3 professionals that have posted here, Bob, Shine, and Crash. All 3 have been posting here for years, and are some of the most helpfull and knowledgeable on this forum. They take their time and always provide good information to help people. If any one of those 3 were to tell me that the sun was going to rise in the west tomorrow, from their past history, I would have to believe them. They all give up their valuable time to help people here, but some just won't believe them. I guess it is because they don't have a TV show, and get paid for pushing some outdated product.

I am working on a project that I have been working on since Feb. and should be ready for paint soon. There is no way that I would use lacquer on something that I have that much time invested in. If someone's time isn't worth more than a couple of bucks, then maybe they should use that stuff and learn the hard way. They have been warned!

Aaron
First of all did you even read or understand the paints claims? Go to the web site get informed.

How Many times does it need to be said. Not A Pro Product and not intended for your show car. Boy a lot of people getting offend over this product.

Now I just pick up the paint ! For some painting and testing So that make two people that will have used it on this site.
SO you Pro Guy that flap your lips we will see if Dup is Crap or just what it was intended for.

So money where my mouths is. Pic's to follow.

First the instructions are you basic sanding cleaning prep and paint no new stuff. I was hoping for a break down on the Lacquer But its just listed as lacquer paint. I will see if they have a msds sheet.

Ok I pick up 3 quarts one Jet black the primer and the clear coat That should be a fair test of there system. Also a note on the can "you will need 2 to 4 quarts depending on you spraying style. Ready to spray lacquer no mixing required and no re coat window. non photochemically reactive"
One more thing they say you can reduce with acetone. No instruction on how much you could use. Also I noted there is no spray cans of this product.

With the power block show Trucks as my inspiration I will shoot a test panel follow all guide line. I will treat the panel as I would any car or truck washing waxing and so on. And being I'm here in Az it should put the paint to a real good test.

I'm still painting my son's truck for all the right teen reason I express early. I normally get 3-4 year on a lacquer paint job so that my test window.

Craig
Old 07-22-2007, 05:24 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Quote:
Ready to spray lacquer no mixing required and no re coat window.
No arguement there. Since lacquer never locks up like base, it will break down with most any liquid other than water, it is obvious that there would be no recoat window.

Quote:
Not A Pro Product and not intended for your show car. Boy a lot of people getting offend over this product.
No arguement there. It's definately not a "Pro Product"! I don't think anyone is being offended by the product. It's that someone comes here asking for advise, then wants to bad mouth the professionals that answer, because they gave the answer that wasn't what was wanted.

Quote:
Ok I pick up 3 quarts one Jet black the primer and the clear coat That should be a fair test of there system. Also a note on the can "you will need 2 to 4 quarts depending on you spraying style. Ready to spray lacquer no mixing required
The 2 to 4 quarts is for a fender, specially if it is pre-mixed. Since most of it is reducer, not paint, it will take atleast 2 times as much material, usually more.

I am sure that Duplicolor will be pleased that they sold some. They depend on the people that can't learn anything other than the hard way.

Aaron
Old 07-22-2007, 09:35 AM

Last photo:

Now that it looks like the sales pitch may be over, some of you other folks that want a roll on paint that posted here, I will give you some better options.

First he stated $22 per quart, if you are smart you can find "Synthetic AKA alkyd enamel" for $15 -25 a gallon all day long, yes like the lacquer this is forty year bygone technology that we stopped using 30-40 years ago but it is slow drying so rolling would work good and best part is if it bleaches on you you can scuff and paint and not have to strip it. That is if you mix a hardener with it and your best bet would be buy an off the wall "acrylic" pint of hardener and activate it 8:1. The pint of hardener will cost about $10-15 so you have 4+ quarts for say $30-35.

This paint will be much better and last longer then the lacquer but stay away from reds, yellows and some blues if you can as they are poor fasting for color holdout.

Acrylic enamel would even be better but a little more expensive and faster dry so you would need a pint of slow reducer to add to slow it down and with activator you may end up with a $40-50 bill.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtkart
No arguement there. Since lacquer never locks up like base, it will break down with most any liquid other than water, it is obvious that there would be no recoat window.

No arguement there. It's definately not a "Pro Product"! I don't think anyone is being offended by the product. It's that someone comes here asking for advise, then wants to bad mouth the professionals that answer, because they gave the answer that wasn't what was wanted.

The 2 to 4 quarts is for a fender, specially if it is pre-mixed. Since most of it is reducer, not paint, it will take atleast 2 times as much material, usually more.

I am sure that Duplicolor will be pleased that they sold some. They depend on the people that can't learn anything other than the hard way.

Aaron

Now I understand the paint I understand it's Limitations. Trying It even better informed. Now So far I have only hear one Guy that has tried it. That's an Informed comment. Just for the record it was a so so comment on paint a steering column.

Its crap paint! Your not listening! To the pros! You hear what you want to!

Know! "Just because you say it! does not make it so" Every Guy with year of experince know what I'm talking about.

Duplicolor made a claim! I think it fit there market and good for a few application! There for my challenge.

Pros think its crap! I think thats clear to

So you can keep whining or you can see what happens with the new product Test. Or test it your self and let hear what you think of there claim!

Craig
Old 07-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Ok I got the paint and supply's, also along with the claim I picked up a harbor freight Paint gun to go with the low buck home paint job and test panel for everyone to see. Now the Truck will be shot later when it cools off a bit hear in AZ and we finish the body work and mods that still need to be done.

SO lets see how Duplicolor works on the test Door panel.

Craig

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.