Dupli Color Paint Shop auto paint Lacquer - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2007, 06:53 PM

Last journal entry: RAYzr
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

As another 30 year pro who lurks instead of posting because of this sort of thread...to sum it up...The pros are saying, lacquer in any form made by anyone at any price IS INFERIOR and there are cheaper alternatives with lower line materials that will give you better results...hence their indignation when the feeling of this thread is "you don't know cuz this is different" they are here to try to help you from making mistakes and have given you better and CHEAPER alternatives that will look better and last longer and they are wondering after all of this why you would even consider this product or why ask for the information at all if you already know what to use sorry, but I'm asking the same question

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2007, 04:49 AM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYzr
As another 30 year pro who lurks instead of posting because of this sort of thread...to sum it up...The pros are saying, lacquer in any form made by anyone at any price IS INFERIOR and there are cheaper alternatives with lower line materials that will give you better results...hence their indignation when the feeling of this thread is "you don't know cuz this is different" they are here to try to help you from making mistakes and have given you better and CHEAPER alternatives that will look better and last longer and they are wondering after all of this why you would even consider this product or why ask for the information at all if you already know what to use sorry, but I'm asking the same question

Like I said I think the product has a place! Tell you see the Vids its hard to debate other than I think it will works and the Pros keep saying its crap. So there is really no point to beating it to death.

I'm going to shoot it and test the paint. Now my test is really not for the pros at this point its more for anyone That watch the show and wants to know how well it works and looks.

Craig
Old 07-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Ok guys here some quick pic's.
I found a couple of 16x16 inch panels to paint. The second pic is the paint and roller claim I do belive a pro said you would have a better paint job. Hmmm! Well see

Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Duplicolor test panels 001.jpg
Views:	2273
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	22914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Duplicolor test panels 002.jpg
Views:	1929
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	22915  
Old 07-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Little up date, I just got the panels cleaned I use a product called Must for Rust. Great for removing light rust soaks in to the pour for a deep cleaning.
Sorry for the plug but its great stuff.

Next I will be sanding the panels then primer as directed.

More pic's to come.

Craig
Old 07-28-2007, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

Good luck Craig. Does Duplicolor have a proceedure recomendation for roller use? Lacquer seems like it would be tough to roll on unless you used a lot of retarder and then there might be cure problems being that far reduced.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:06 AM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
Good luck Craig. Does Duplicolor have a proceedure recomendation for roller use? Lacquer seems like it would be tough to roll on unless you used a lot of retarder and then there might be cure problems being that far reduced.
Well, I want to see if it can be done! Myth Buster. LoL Its just paint! Second I want to see how long it will last. And third got a lot of do dad's to paint around the shop which will never see the sun so it should be good for some things beats buying spray cans. Just pour and shoot.

AutoZone is selling the paint for 19.00 a Quart. Better deal then Checker.

Craig
Old 07-31-2007, 05:56 AM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

I was watching Truck Universe yesterday and there still working on there Duplicolor Jeep project looks ok they paint it but never did any finish work So it kinda looks funny depending on the camera angle.

They have a 90's Chevy truck there doing All Duplicolor Products and they tried paint the door kick panel carpet and it look bad real Bad .

I have tried the carpet spray and That's a big NONONON! Now I assumed as much when I pick it up but I wanted to see. As far as painting the door panels Its a waist only because you feet are rubbing them and the paint comes off and it looks like crap. Seat seem to do better. but Still its only a quick fix For a no Cash Budget.

To Guy Garage is also doing a Duplicolor paint Job Its got a lot of detail so a must see for hints and trick using the product.

Duplicolor Must be kick out a ton of Cash on this Add campaign So far they have hit every Car and Truck Show on TV to Plug there product.

I have to wonder If they have a really good product there pushing for all the money there spending to get the word out. Hmmm!
So we will see with the test panels.

Craig
Old 07-31-2007, 09:25 AM

Calling all newbies, avid painters, pro's, and doubtfuls.

I started painting about eight years ago and started using cheap products, short cuts, cheap paint, etc. I now am an Autobody shop manager where we use top products like House of Colors, PPG, Sikkens, Transtar, etc. A painter of mine and I decided to go to the local Farm and Fleet and buy 3 cans of this, the primer, the red, and the clear. We recently just used it(not for a customers car) and I can say without a doubt that any remaining product that was left over was quickly thrown away. Did not like it and did not cover well, and as the PRO's said....its lacquer...

To everyone looking to DIY(do it yourself) paint job. Go to an actual body shop supply company, be honest with them that you are looking for a LESS expensive product than the PPG, House of Colors, etc. Let them know you are a do it yourself project that you are working on. Look into what they have to offer...Keystone, Omni, Shopline,etc. These are products that are less expensive and still good products.

Ask yourself the question. Why am I going to all this trouble to fix rust, or do body work, spend my weekends working on a car(which upset the wife) to put junk laquer paint on my weekend pride and joy. Everyone even a amateur car hobbyist takes pride in the car and call it their baby....DO you feed your actual baby low end food...or junk food...No.

Now...yes the product works, it is easy to use, you dont have to mix(because its so difficult to mix paint 2:1:1 or 4:1) but if you are going to put forth the effort put forth a little bit of extra cash.

Thats my two cents you can argue with me but I'm not going to argue back. I know what works and what doesnt, I just trying to save some DIY's some mone and time in the long run.

Jeff
Old 07-31-2007, 09:50 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

jeff, you are wasting your time.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:15 AM

Yes not only wasting my time on at least testing the product(because i knew it wouldn't work) but also wasting my time on here. Seems a lot of people want to argue on and not listen... Thanks though. Just joined the site and hope to be of some use and gain some knowledge.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:20 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

welcome guy. there are a lot of good threads here on paint and some really good painters. we all try to help when we can but you'll learn to try only once . he's going to use this stuff regardless of what he hears or who tells him. stick around and dont judge this site by stuff.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:09 PM

Jeff, No it wasn't a waste of time.
While I am not a total noob, I'm still an amateur. I have been lurking around this site and others for a few years and have learned a lot.
Admittedly, I was somewhat curious about the DupliColor from seeing it on Trucks! but not to the point I would try it because I know that a bc/cc system is the way to go.
However, your experienced comment and those of the other pros here killed any curiosity that I had about it. As Barry said, even a cheap catalyzed enamel would be better.
I imagine it would be ok for a mailbox or something like that but I know I have put too much time into my project car to skimp on the paint that much. I know people are on a budget, but heck, if you are spending tons of time to prep your car, you certainly don't want to do it again in a year or two.
And for those that just want to slap a quick coat of paint on, you might as well go Maaco and it would be a whole lot easier for not much more money.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:32 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=umax9900]Yes not only wasting my time on at least testing the product(because i knew it wouldn't work) but also wasting my time on here. Seems a lot of people want to argue on and not listen... Thanks though. Just joined the site and hope to be of some use and gain some knowledge.[/QUOTE------------------------------------------------------------

Not a waste of time on here at all!

If you read this thread carefully you will notice all negatives were ignored and the reasons for using this stuff were adjusted as negatives appeared and at the end a gun was purchased.
There was an ulterior motive here and any response from experienced painters were never going to change his mind as is the case of a lot of these threads on here but that is OK as there are more lurkers then posters and if you can save just one of the lurkers from being stupid and screwing up their car with this stuff, its a days work well done.
Hang around Jeff!
Old 08-01-2007, 08:08 AM

Dont worry guys I'm not leaving....I will probably need some help off of here when I do my 51 chopped merc.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

I belive in its intended market. I think it perfect as the shows state.
We all know what kind of paint it is. WOW!

Second I believe one other guy was going to paint his work beater quick cheap! He does not care if it last or not just that its looks better than it was.
Same thing with the offroader guys. That's the key hear! and you don't want to hear it! The Intended Market!

That's why it going to sell! money easy of use and you done in a day and you can shoot it at home.

I can see guy bring in the duplicolor paint and ask guys to shoot it. And even when you tell them its cheap crap they are not going to care. Why money! same deal with Macco! That why they have a market. So guy will shoot it why! because they need the work and money talks.

Same deal Walmart was founded on! You may not like it but its out there!

I don't see it affecting the pro paint jobs it like anything else money talks and if you want a good paint job you have to be willing to pay for it don't ya!

So Ya I'm shoot it like it or not I will give it a fair review not a prejudged review. I'm a home shop guy now so even better To judge this product. So if it crap I will say so!

How many of you Shop at Walmart???

Craig

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.