Dupli Color Paint Shop auto paint Lacquer - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 02:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I was not going to interject my opinion to your reply but you say intended market. As you speak of Wal-Mart and their intended market and products.

Wal-Mart does not put a cheap junk product on their shelves in general. Wal-Mart market is is the consumers. Wal-mart set the market by strategically analyzing the future of the market and moving before the other retail stores did. Consumer habits shifted from local stores to large discount stores that have everyday name brand items such as Nabisco, Goodyear, etc. They sell, in general, every day products that you can get elsewhere but at discounted prices due to their leverage of buying bulk inventory at lower prices.

On the automotive side.....Dupli-color intended market is a cheap product for the cheap market. Kinda like why go to Vegas and pay for high dollar hookers when you can get them in your own town cheap....only difference is some of the high dollar hookers in Vegas produce good results. You get what you pay for...and no I have never paid for a hoooker only making a comparison

I'm not trying to create a stir but Yes it does have its intended use and market.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by umax9900
I was not going to interject my opinion to your reply but you say intended market. As you speak of Wal-Mart and their intended market and products.

Wal-Mart does not put a cheap junk product on their shelves in general. Wal-Mart market is is the consumers. Wal-mart set the market by strategically analyzing the future of the market and moving before the other retail stores did. Consumer habits shifted from local stores to large discount stores that have everyday name brand items such as Nabisco, Goodyear, etc. They sell, in general, every day products that you can get elsewhere but at discounted prices due to their leverage of buying bulk inventory at lower prices.

On the automotive side.....Dupli-color intended market is a cheap product for the cheap market. Kinda like why go to Vegas and pay for high dollar hookers when you can get them in your own town cheap....only difference is some of the high dollar hookers in Vegas produce good results. You get what you pay for...and no I have never paid for a hoooker only making a comparison

I'm not trying to create a stir but Yes it does have its intended use and market.
I love a good debate I'm having fun with this.LOL! I like the hooker thing I'm going to use that one LOL!

Well some see walmart as something diffrent cheapo china products for the most part Or american companys with plants there so YA. but thats a diffrent post HEHEHE!

This is a product for an intended market. I understant perfectly well the pro and con.

But What made my mission is just demissing a product out of hand. So I'm shoot it!

You seem to be interested, Why not go to duplicolor site see the vids and tell me what you think based on what there saying. SO truck Universe got a vid Trucks and Gears. Oh Two Guys Garage also.
I want to hear someone take five min out of there day and review it basic on what there tell everyone. SO far know ones doing that well except me!

See there is only one out come it works or it don't.
Question I have is how well and how long will it last. Its a new product so know one can say for sure so there is alway someone that going to do it so I guess that me.

SO when I report the pros can say see told you so or its something different

So we will see.

Craig
Old 08-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

I'm fine with you doing whatever you feel like doing, as long as no impressionable young person looking for knowledge mistakes you for someone who has any.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
. A painter of mine and I decided to go to the local Farm and Fleet and buy 3 cans of this, the primer, the red, and the clear. We recently just used it(not for a customers car) and I can say without a doubt that any remaining product that was left over was quickly thrown away. Did not like it and did not cover well, and as the PRO's said....its lacquer...

Jeff

Chevyguy if you read my quoted post from earlier I have already shot this paint and have said all remaining material was thrown out. I dont have any good lines such as the feeding you baby junk food or hooker lines to go with this post.....

When are you going to shoot it. I would like to hear your actual feedback. Also how do you think those guys have their show....its from Duplicolor and other companies feeding them money. I'm sure if I developed some paint and threw them some oney they would be blasting my name and videos all over the place

Last edited by umax9900; 08-03-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:56 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

you can report anything you like. it will make no difference to me or any other professional painter on here. we already know without spending time watching some boring infomercial . i can buy quality single stage paint for about 29 a mixed quart. i don't pay much attention to someone with a fresh manicure talking about all the work they do. those shows are for selling product period. the only reason we are posting on this boring thread is to keep some guy from buying into this hype and trashing his project. over the years we have had every kind of snake oil cure all on here you can imagine. just like jd black. i get calls almost weekly from guys who used this stuff and are now bored with it and want to repaint their car. sorry but you have to remove that tractor paint first. a quality single stage black with a flattening agent would have been no problem but they listened to someone with no real knowledge of what they were doing. sorry but seeing it on tv don't make it so. most folks who do this for a living do not spend time watching those shows for a reason.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:23 PM

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Whee! I saw it on TV/saw it in a magazine/heard it from a guy in a bar, so it MUST be true.
(Err, WalMart has hookers? Cool!)
Old 08-04-2007, 05:06 AM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Chevyguy if you read my quoted post from earlier I have already shot this paint and have said all remaining material was thrown out. I dont have any good lines such as the feeding you baby junk food or hooker lines to go with this post.....

When are you going to shoot it. I would like to hear your actual feedback. Also how do you think those guys have their show....its from Duplicolor and other companies feeding them money. I'm sure if I developed some paint and threw them some oney they would be blasting my name and videos all over the place
LOL,Funny, Did you say why you did not like it?
I got all the stuff set up to sand the plate. I just have not had time to do so.
I'm hoping I can shoot it this week end.

Guys Its a show they sell stuff! I never said Paint your custom car! I did say it perfect for the stated use!

The daily driver,The work Beater, Offroaders and the guys that are broke and need something which! is better than nothing.

I also said I was paint my sons truck because I know right up front he is going to trash it out! So why in the world would I spend 800 plus bucks on paint. ANSWER THAT ONE? I can paint and touch it up 10 time if need be. and I'm not out a dam thing!

Still a lot of butting hurting going on! What You don't want me to saying is I like it. Then the crap will really hit the fan.

I'm not the problem! Duplicolor is your problem there hitting the painting market and you don't like it. LMAO!

Craig
Old 08-04-2007, 05:34 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTruckGuy
LOL,
I also said I was paint my sons truck because I know right up front he is going to trash it out! So why in the world would I spend 800 plus bucks on paint. ANSWER THAT ONE? I can paint and touch it up 10 time if need be. and I'm not out a dam thing!

Craig
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Great idea, and leave the worn tires and bad brakes alone also since he is just going to tear it up.

Dad of the year award is coming up I think.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:47 AM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Great idea, and leave the worn tires and bad brakes alone also since he is just going to tear it up.

Dad of the year award is coming up I think.
Lets never mistake a safe truck for a paint job! nor was that ever implied now you becoming a jerk!! And you did it to you self!!

Craig
Old 08-04-2007, 09:56 AM

In regards to why I didn't like it....cost factor

For what you get and how little it doesnt cover I would much rather spend money on other products that are out there that cover much better. When you consider how much you need to put on to get it to cover well and painting a entire car with stuff will take more than buying a higher priced quality paint that does cover well.

Let me know what you think when you gt it sprayed. This weekend I am painting a 68 Chevelle SS....and no I'm not using Dupli-Color. I am actually using U-Tech Polybase Plus(~$130-$170 for a gallon) coverrs excellent. For clear I am using Transtar(~$180 for a gallon) if anyoneone was curious.

Jeff
Old 08-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

What you are getting in a can of ready-to-spray lacquer is at least 75% solvent. The very best top of the line solvent for auto refinish is about $45 a gallon, which comes to $11.25 a quart. I doubt Duplicolor is using the best stuff!

So, for your $22, you are getting at most 8 ounces of stuff that will actually be on the car once it dries. Other than durability, this is the main problem with this paint, it seems inexpensive but it is not, once you see how many coats it takes to have enough on the vehicle to buff. The last lacquer job I did took 10 coats, and that can be seen as fairly minimal, actually, since while buffing there turned out to be a few burn-throughs that could have been avoided with more coats.

To put 10 coats on an average car, you will need at minimum 10 quarts of ready to spray material, depending on gun and spray style.

Cost for an inferior Duplicolor lacquer job: At least $220 in topcoat alone.

Urethane can be had for less, and even a cheap urethane is WAY better than lacquer, especially for a beater vehicle. Lacquer takes a lot of TLC to stay looking halfway nice.

You'd have to be a total bonehead not to realize this, it's not rocket science, for Pete's sake!
Old 08-04-2007, 10:48 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

jeff , you need to check out spi products. you can beat that price with better quality.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtech
What you are getting in a can of ready-to-spray lacquer is at least 75% solvent. The very best top of the line solvent for auto refinish is about $45 a gallon, which comes to $11.25 a quart. I doubt Duplicolor is using the best stuff!

So, for your $22, you are getting at most 8 ounces of stuff that will actually be on the car once it dries. Other than durability, this is the main problem with this paint, it seems inexpensive but it is not, once you see how many coats it takes to have enough on the vehicle to buff. The last lacquer job I did took 10 coats, and that can be seen as fairly minimal, actually, since while buffing there turned out to be a few burn-throughs that could have been avoided with more coats.

To put 10 coats on an average car, you will need at minimum 10 quarts of ready to spray material, depending on gun and spray style.

Cost for an inferior Duplicolor lacquer job: At least $220 in topcoat alone.

Urethane can be had for less, and even a cheap urethane is WAY better than lacquer, especially for a beater vehicle. Lacquer takes a lot of TLC to stay looking halfway nice.

You'd have to be a total bonehead not to realize this, it's not rocket science, for Pete's sake!
Look I think it fits there market that it!

I like the lacquer paints used it for year on my first car my photo's show that paint job. all my offroad stuff easy to fix touch up. A plus for me!
All the new paints with peeling hoods fenders and cabs real good stuff there! plus being complicated to uses and real easy to mess up!

SO far they had some paid pro's paint with it. It did not look half Bad seems to cover well so there you go. All the paid Pros said 'it just a starter paint easy to use just pour and paint. Does not replace a pro system!, But! You save a ton of money" "because you don't have to buy all the pros stuff to paint" That's the sales pitch! The money in buying all the pro stuff not just the paint.

My son is going to bang and scratch the heck out of his first ride! I'm not going to lay down a ton of money on paint that's plain stupid. I've seen it happen time and time again a kid get a 1,500 - 2,000 paint job an boom wrecks it weeks later. Half of my son's friends have smash up there first cars.

So bonehead! HMMM! Ya! I don't think so for a kids first ride.

Craig
Old 08-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Ok I'm spending to much time replying! I'm just going to get on with this test panel. So hears the pic

So I got it sanded down ready for primer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0889.JPG
Views:	846
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	23107   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0890.JPG
Views:	735
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	23108  
Old 08-04-2007, 07:30 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Quote:
My son is going to bang and scratch the heck out of his first ride! I'm not going to lay down a ton of money on paint that's plain stupid. I've seen it happen time and time again a kid get a 1,500 - 2,000 paint job an boom wrecks it weeks later. Half of my son's friends have smash up there first cars.
Maybe you shoud spend some time teaching you kid how to drive and how to take care of things. Then you could give him something that he wouldn't want to tear up, or even better, let him earn it, and he would appreciate it better.

Give him a vehicle with a crappy paint job, so it will be easier to fix, is just telling him that it's OK to trash it. Glad you're not in my neighborhood!

Aaron

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.