Dupli Color Paint Shop auto paint Lacquer - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Here is the primed panel.
First pick is the primer and the paint on the bottom of the can. you can see it on the stick. So a real good mixing was needed.
Paint covered real well just like the shows on T.V. so didn't use much at all So there claim of only need 2 to 4 quart is about right! The only thing I would say is buy a better paint gun than the cheapo one I used it was ok but it could have been a lot better.
Last was smell hardly any! real mild which surprised me.Which all so goes with there claim.

Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0892.JPG
Views:	925
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	23110   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0893.JPG
Views:	959
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	23111   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0891.JPG
Views:	750
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	23112  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtkart
Maybe you shoud spend some time teaching you kid how to drive and how to take care of things. Then you could give him something that he wouldn't want to tear up, or even better, let him earn it, and he would appreciate it better.

Give him a vehicle with a crappy paint job, so it will be easier to fix, is just telling him that it's OK to trash it. Glad you're not in my neighborhood!

Aaron
Funny you where never a kid and thought you new everything!

Craig
Old 08-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTruckGuy
...just like the shows on T.V...
Hard to argue with that, I mean the Chia Pet and The Clapper are pretty cool too...
Old 08-04-2007, 09:58 PM

Chevytruckguy; Are the Duplicolor cans dated? It seems that they could sit on the self at the auto parts store for a long time which would make paints settle out like yours did. An auto parts store is not going to have a shaker either.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Funny you where never a kid and thought you new everything!

Craig
Lets see I listen to my mom and dad and did everything they told me to do! never went to a party drank a beer so,on and so don't give me that load of crap.
How many guys drove there cars in primer?

SO ya you made my point earn the right to have a 2000 dollar paint job.

That why where doing the duplicolor DUH!!!
Everyone know Lacquer its going to shine just fine for some time and if done right it will look good. The question is how long.
Cheap paint yep!
Do I expect it to last long! nope! don't care!
A learning tool yep!
Kids starting out low buck and has to make the best of what he's got! Just like everyone else. Or did mom and dad buy you your first car!

Now if he save his money he to can have a 2000 dollars paint job!

Craig
Old 08-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtech
Hard to argue with that, I mean the Chia Pet and The Clapper are pretty cool too...

LMAO!!! DUDE spit my soda

Craig
Old 08-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireboat
Chevytruckguy; Are the Duplicolor cans dated? It seems that they could sit on the self at the auto parts store for a long time which would make paints settle out like yours did. An auto parts store is not going to have a shaker either.
Hmmm! Good Point! I will check! No dates on the cans that I have. See this it the whole testing deal on this product.
See if the Pro guy where a little more open then this would be a good thing not a fight every step of the way. This would be a good teaching tool Post. See this is that dupulicolor suff that someone wanted to try.
But NOOOO!
I got to but heads.

Craig
Old 08-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

The primer paint is dry now! After it set up Its as smooth as a babys but.
According to the direction you need to use 1000 grit to smooth out the primer then paint and clear coat. Then buffing after the paint dry for the best results.

Also clean up was easy to.

Craig
Old 08-05-2007, 03:42 AM

Were getting ready to spray a spare hood for my nova with this same product shortly. Ill be watching this topic.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:14 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Look I think it fits there market that it!

I like the lacquer paints used it for year on my first car my photo's show that paint job. all my offroad stuff easy to fix touch up. A plus for me!
All the new paints with peeling hoods fenders and cabs real good stuff there! plus being complicated to uses and real easy to mess up!

SO far they had some paid pro's paint with it. It did not look half Bad seems to cover well so there you go. All the paid Pros said 'it just a starter paint easy to use just pour and paint. Does not replace a pro system!, But! You save a ton of money" "because you don't have to buy all the pros stuff to paint" That's the sales pitch! The money in buying all the pro stuff not just the paint.

My son is going to bang and scratch the heck out of his first ride! I'm not going to lay down a ton of money on paint that's plain stupid. I've seen it happen time and time again a kid get a 1,500 - 2,000 paint job an boom wrecks it weeks later. Half of my son's friends have smash up there first cars.

So bonehead! HMMM! Ya! I don't think so for a kids first ride.

Craig

Craig,
Sorry man but you're wrong again.
Not all kids wreck their stuff, here's a pic of my 17 year old Son's car and he hasn't put a scratch in it. And with the quality materials we used in the build it should last forever. It seems if you teach them the value of doing the job right and they find how much effort it takes through their own labor they take care of the car. Dalton financed 90% of this project and did at least 80% of the work.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Dalton's Ride Project pics

Last edited by baddbob; 08-05-2007 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:31 AM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=baddbob]Craig,
Sorry man but you're wrong again.
Not all kids wreck their stuff, here's a pic of my 17 year old Son's car and he hasn't put a scratch in it. And with the quality materials we used in the build it should last forever. It seems if you teach them the value of doing the job right and they find how much effort it takes through their own labor they take care of the car. Dalton financed 90% of this project and did at least 80% of the work.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

That is funny, I remember Dalton skipping a dinner to weld on his quarter panel.
There is another 16 year old in south Michigan Paul who built his Nova over the last four years with his dad and first time out about two or three weeks ago called me on a Sunday to say he had taken 3rd or 4th at Columbus.
Think he will trash that car?

Funny, I gave both my boys a safe and perfect car, made Them do all the work on the cars and said its the only car I'm buying you in high school and its yours to sell when you graduate. Never a trashing problem.

I also said if you get a college scholarship I will buy you any new car you want with your college money I had saved.

I should have said since you will just be going to prison anyway someday, no since me saving for college. The parents set the example, its just a damn shame you don't need a license to have a kid.

Last edited by BarryK; 08-05-2007 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:23 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

My son's first vehicle was in great shape, both mechanically, and appearance wise. The only scratches on it when we got rid of it were from someone else's stupidity. A girl talking on a cell phone, while backing out of a parking space, crumbling up the side. An idiot pulling out in front of him, making a left turn, in a 45 speed zone.

He kept it clean and took care of it, because it was "his baby". It wasn't just something that was thrown together, that was expected to be trashed, because it was his first.

Something that they earn, value, and are not expected to trash, is more than likely going to be taken care of. That will also make it a lot safer on the roads.

I sure hate having my stuff scratched up and beat up by people that are just doing what is expected of them. If anything happens to Bob's son's car, and I pray nothing does, I would bet that it isn't his son's fault. He has put too much time, effort, and money into it, and has the well deserved pride to go along with that.

You can paint that stupid truck with any garbage you want. You would not admit that you are wrong, no matter what! You came and ask for advise, and have ignored what you were told. Hopefully, the only loss will be the money spent on the paint, and not your kid or someone else, because he will be banging it up, as he is expected to do.

Aaron
Old 08-05-2007, 11:47 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

in the chevy guys defense he came here and asked if anyone had used it. you did not ask for opinions so i will withdraw mine. we just tried to point out that for the same dollar you could use a better product that would last. spraying little test panels means nothing. i've had paint reps pull that crap on me. screw the test panel ...........paint a car. the problem i have is you are promoting a product that is inferior and that someone may use on a car they care about. for 7$ a quart you could have a far better product but your starstruck with those ridiculous tv shows. lets move this to the dump where it belongs. guys ...... let this one die.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:27 PM

Last journal entry: RAYzr
Last photo:

Shine, I couldn't agree with you more...let it die...why not just use the Duplicolor spray cans to do the car...My take on their whole system is they just took the spray paint, which isn't too bad for spray bomb stuff, and repacked it in quart and gallon cans...smart on Duplicolor's part...no investment to speak of so you can spend alot on promoting a poor product...if you're going to use this stuff, just go buy it in a spray can and forget the gun, compressor and other related stuff so the cost of using it went down for the same results...I wonder if Duplicolor sells a stripper for a complete package???LOL
Old 08-05-2007, 01:27 PM

Shine ON !

I know I'am getting in here late but I have to agree with the Pros on this.Until about a week ago I never painted with anything but lacquer.I have had excellent results! Its easy to mix and shoot, Its "Forgiving". Its alot of labor to get to and maintain a shine, But when you do its beautiful. I love lacquer for all these reasons. I will also never use it again because Its junk compared to the modern paint systems.Oh! I should mention there was a 12 year gap between last week and my last lacquer job. I tried 2k urethane primer for the first time last week and think I have rediscovered fire. But I'am writing this for the Pro's not the guys that can't or will not listen. Thanks Pro's for helping me see the light and that new can be better.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.