Dupli Color Paint Shop auto paint Lacquer - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
in the chevy guys defense he came here and asked if anyone had used it. you did not ask for opinions so i will withdraw mine. we just tried to point out that for the same dollar you could use a better product that would last. spraying little test panels means nothing. i've had paint reps pull that crap on me. screw the test panel ...........paint a car. the problem i have is you are promoting a product that is inferior and that someone may use on a car they care about. for 7$ a quart you could have a far better product but your starstruck with those ridiculous tv shows. lets move this to the dump where it belongs. guys ...... let this one die.
No! not really The show are what they are! I don't know how many times I have said that and All so state what it should be use for in my oppion.

Now I like Lacquer that should be clear. I like the fact that its easy to use.

Just like the show say it should not replace a pro paint system. Well the test panel is just to see how the paint spray and lays down and drys last how it looks.
Your also right a test panel mean doo. But if you remember they already have shot 4 cars trucks and offroad trucks with the product so you need to see the vids!
I can't tell by the vids how well the paint looks so as I have stated We are shooting my son truck soon. So based on what I've seen I think its fine for his truck.
Now with any test it may turn out to be crap or is may look fine. I want to know for how long. Still Remember the paint is what it is.

Craig

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtkart
My son's first vehicle was in great shape, both mechanically, and appearance wise. The only scratches on it when we got rid of it were from someone else's stupidity. A girl talking on a cell phone, while backing out of a parking space, crumbling up the side. An idiot pulling out in front of him, making a left turn, in a 45 speed zone.

He kept it clean and took care of it, because it was "his baby". It wasn't just something that was thrown together, that was expected to be trashed, because it was his first.

Something that they earn, value, and are not expected to trash, is more than likely going to be taken care of. That will also make it a lot safer on the roads.

I sure hate having my stuff scratched up and beat up by people that are just doing what is expected of them. If anything happens to Bob's son's car, and I pray nothing does, I would bet that it isn't his son's fault. He has put too much time, effort, and money into it, and has the well deserved pride to go along with that.

You can paint that stupid truck with any garbage you want. You would not admit that you are wrong, no matter what! You came and ask for advise, and have ignored what you were told. Hopefully, the only loss will be the money spent on the paint, and not your kid or someone else, because he will be banging it up, as he is expected to do.

Aaron

Guy not all kids are perfect and I have mine Just stating a fact. So stay off the Hi horse deal. I have deside that this is where he need to be on the learning curve. He know what kinda of paint it is and he all so knows its 2000 bucks for a pro Job.
If he get all the top notch stuff he will never learn any thing and because he's runninng low buck he has smaller opption to work with. So if he want more he has to stay in school get better jobs and so forth to have what he wants.

As far as a safe truck thats never been an option. So read the Journals if you want to question anything or just look.

Craig
Old 08-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
Craig,
Sorry man but you're wrong again.
Not all kids wreck their stuff, here's a pic of my 17 year old Son's car and he hasn't put a scratch in it. And with the quality materials we used in the build it should last forever. It seems if you teach them the value of doing the job right and they find how much effort it takes through their own labor they take care of the car. Dalton financed 90% of this project and did at least 80% of the work.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Dalton's Ride Project pics

Nice Car Very nice. But I wish my kid had that kind of drive to do that kinda of work. But he don't. learning the hard way is where were going.
SO no I'm not wrong in his case.

Craig
Old 08-05-2007, 06:40 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, I probably sounded like an a-hole with my last post but you're taking a few steps backwards using lacquer. Maybe it'll look fine for short term but hopefully nobody reading this thread will get confused enough to think the stuff will be durable and economical compared to what 2K products are available. I hope she doesn't shrink, crack, fade, and chip when you're through with all that hard work-but my experience using lacquer says that's all to be expected. Keep it out of the sun, keep it waxed, and keep your fingers crossed.

I looked at a garage queen 55 Chev Belair pro-touring car a few weeks ago, the owner needed some touchup work done on it and had the left over paint from when the body was restored-Dupont Lucite Acrylic Lacquer . I rolled it in the shop and gave it a look over and broke the bad news to the owner. This car sees road use only a few times per year and now needs to be totally stripped and redone. The clear has micro cracking on all areas, it has shrunk to the point that now it is starting to split. By next year the cracks will be bad enough to knock $10K+ off it's resale value. There's no stopping the deterioration now and he is left with the decision to sell while the paint problems can be missed by a quick eye or plan on having the whole car stripped and redone. The sad part for me is I can see all the hours the last shop put into this ride (1000hrs+ I'm sure), all that hard work and attention to detail and now it all has to be removed and thrown into the garbage because of product selection.
The average do it yourselfer considers his time is cheap (more time than money) and I am of the same thought process usually but nobody I know of likes to do a job over and over again because of product failure. It's time to let lacquer die, there's been enough labor wasted.

I'm outa this thread, I think enough has been said.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
Yeah, I probably sounded like an a-hole with my last post but you're taking a few steps backwards using lacquer. Maybe it'll look fine for short term but hopefully nobody reading this thread will get confused enough to think the stuff will be durable and economical compared to what 2K products are available. I hope she doesn't shrink, crack, fade, and chip when you're through with all that hard work-but my experience using lacquer says that's all to be expected. Keep it out of the sun, keep it waxed, and keep your fingers crossed.

I looked at a garage queen 55 Chev Belair pro-touring car a few weeks ago, the owner needed some touchup work done on it and had the left over paint from when the body was restored-Dupont Lucite Acrylic Lacquer . I rolled it in the shop and gave it a look over and broke the bad news to the owner. This car sees road use only a few times per year and now needs to be totally stripped and redone. The clear has micro cracking on all areas, it has shrunk to the point that now it is starting to split. By next year the cracks will be bad enough to knock $10K+ off it's resale value. There's no stopping the deterioration now and he is left with the decision to sell while the paint problems can be missed by a quick eye or plan on having the whole car stripped and redone. The sad part for me is I can see all the hours the last shop put into this ride (1000hrs+ I'm sure), all that hard work and attention to detail and now it all has to be removed and thrown into the garbage because of product selection.
The average do it yourselfer considers his time is cheap (more time than money) and I am of the same thought process usually but nobody I know of likes to do a job over and over again because of product failure. It's time to let lacquer die, there's been enough labor wasted.

I'm outa this thread, I think enough has been said.
Bob, No you guy are fine. I just think I'm looking at it different.

I hope I said it enough too, its not a pro Paint And don't thing I said it was. I just think its perfect for what I'm doing. Second I don't see it as a waist of time because the body work is done right and later I can still have a pro shoot it later. I don't have or want to shoot paint out of the garage it to much of a hassle.

There's the difference for you pro guy its real simple but for the home guy's its not. we don't get the same deals as you or access to a booth.

I did my Dodge Dakota about 2005 in my Garage I spent 800.00 on paint And had a friend of mine that is a pro painter do the painting and it was one problem after the other. I mean it turn out ok but Never again.

So when I saw this new deal I'm thing perfect for what I'm doing.

Craig
Old 08-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Update: Ok I just finish sanding the primer and its not caned primer in a quart for sure that was a surprize after I saw the primer I was going Hmmm! But mixing it up did the trick. Also if you reduce it you would get close to caned primer may be end up with 2 quart or more.

Nice thick coat, sands real well never sanded thru . I started with 400Grit then 600 them 1500. I did it wet. Looks real good so far. If you just shooting it and go to the next step your going to have a mess the no re-coat window should be only for the paint or clear coat but I still need to test that out. I think duplicolor should pull that part out of there add you paint it in a day and drive the next not going to happen. Well if you want the Orange peel look it will be fine.

I got a couple of good points that other people have made comments on the paint so I will do that at the end of this test.
Next if the test panel come out ok we will go for the long term test.

I what to say This so far If you have never shot paint before I would not want you to assume I can do this. Its not that simple. I have how every shot a fair share of cars, dune Buggy and offroad stuff.

Also read the complete post. and know what your getting in to before picking a painting system. As much as the pro may hate this, you also must consider the money you have to spend Maybe you can wait for a better paint job maybe you can't. So far the home guy could shoot this paint. I had little over spray and the smell was very mild so if you got people next door to ya it not going to make an uproar. Where as you know the good stuff stink up the area!

Craig
Old 08-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Update: Shot the black paint last night with the clear coat. I'm going to give it a day or two to dry then finish it. My goal was to do it like the vids on there web site. Now I did not paint it like they did on gear, trucks, or truck universe or two guy garage Where they use pro stuff to paint with and a booth.

I when out and pick up a fair to good HF paint gun hi volume low pressure. Something the average guy might do. Because they don't tell you anything from the shows how to paint. They just do it and you can to. I will say this no you can't. I feel the same way with the good stuff to you have to practices,practices.

I found the paints to be good free of anything in the cans. I did how every fine the primer had settle to the bottom of the can and had to shake it well before I could use it. No dates on the cans so you don't know how long its been setting around.

Before I shot the paint same as the vid I did not clean my garage. Which is removing all the dust and small thing in the air that can get in to a paint job.

The paint sprayed well layed down two coat of black and then two coat of clear. I did get a few pieces of dust in the paint which I assumed I would I want to shoot this also for anyone think about use this product It not like you see on TV!

Duplicolor claiming it a high quality lacquer. Tell I play with it more and get better tools to shoot it I'm going to say good.

Before I forget your going to have to rube it out then buff it to get a better then Macco Look.That what the test panel is showing.

Pros Cheap! Quick to use! paint work well for Lacquer. mistake don't cost you a arm or leg to re shoot. easy clean up and the left over go back in the can to use for touch up later and you not wasting paint because you can save it unlike the pro stuff. If you don't use it it will go bad and you out the bucks it cost ya!
Cons Cheap! A first timer is not going to get what he see on TV
For the most part Lacquer has a shorter life And you going to have to paint it again soon a lot more work in the long run.

Hear my take on the good stuff It has just as many problem as Lacquer. Everyone has seen or has owned a car or truck with the paint peeling off When you paint you really have to know how to mix your paint or there problems Pro guy know ever paint works a little different. With out experience in painting then there is where the problems happen's.
The paints are ten time better and last a long time and hold up better.

I still think you could do it for the intended market, A nice low buck Lacquer paint job.

Not a custom job so don't even think about it!

Craig
Old 08-06-2007, 02:07 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

I think I made the pro gods happy.

So I will be sanding soon so you can see the before and after I finish the job. Then decide for your self if it fits your needs.
Just make sure you read all the posts ask questions then decide what fits your needs.

Btw I'm still going to shoot my sons truck soon. I will put that up in pic on my Photo Journals. So after I finish the test panel I will be done with this post and my product test.

Craig
Old 08-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Just did my first run at the test panel and you can see its going to buff up real nice. I must say I'm a little out of practice.
I did get a couple of small fish eyes spots. I chalk that up to rushing and not prepping the area right. So far I'm please with the out come. So if I do it right I should have a nice out come on my sons truck.

Craig
Old 08-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireboat
An auto parts store is not going to have a shaker either.

Oh contrare we at NAPA have and use a paint shaker for every can of paint we sell or mix gets shook.

I just got the new flier for this paint system and we will be selling it for 19.99 a quart.

I however will not be using it. I like enamel
Old 08-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

This is my final post on Duplicolors Paint Shop System.

I found it real real easy to use It spray just like lacquer should. Its not spray can stuff repackage. There add is a little misleading but If you watch the Trucks vid on using this paint its about just what everyone had been saying on paints.

Would I paint a custom car with it No!

But I would do a daily driver or beater Yes! The offroad stuff is perfect.

Last to me it make a big difference if you have a booth or not when you talking paint. What a pro can do and what you at home can do are two different thing.

Anyway here is the panel I need to finish buffing it but you can see how it turned out.

Was kinda fun testing out a product never tried before, for the most part it was kinda cool.

Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0894.JPG
Views:	2115
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	23204  
Old 08-09-2007, 04:23 AM

Interesting, would like to see a better clearer photo of that panel. Ill make sure i post my results, might test shoot my mower first
Old 08-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyIIMan
Interesting, would like to see a better clearer photo of that panel. Ill make sure i post my results, might test shoot my mower first
I shot the pic it in the garage. Not a great camera wife broke the good one.
I have not finished buff it! But if you want a pic I can do one out side. It sill has some fine rub mark. But is nice and glossy no Orange peel. Like I said I'm really happy the way it came out with the Cheapo HF paint gun I used.

I'm interested in what someone else has to say about this Lacquer System too.

Craig
Old 08-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Ok I got around to shooting a out side shot of the test panel Its been setting for a while dust storms rain so I decided not to finish shining it up yet, Just one more thing for the pro's to complain about.

Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Duplicolor test panels.jpg
Views:	2061
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	23312  

Last edited by ChevyTruckGuy; 08-11-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:47 AM

The test results

I tried it on my 280z for poops and giggles and ya know for a beginner paint its not bad. To say id use it again would be stretching it a bit but overall results weren't maaco horrible but not show car finish either still cool that you can finish it whenever

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.