Dupli Color Paint Shop auto paint Lacquer - Page 8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 01:31 AM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Truck.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemon76
I tried it on my 280z for poops and giggles and ya know for a beginner paint its not bad. To say id use it again would be stretching it a bit but overall results weren't maaco horrible but not show car finish either still cool that you can finish it whenever
Cool! Yeah thats what my test panel showed. I've had it setting out side all summer in the hot AZ sun to prove a point. Its not top line but in a pinch you can paint you ride and get a good look. I will have to put up some pic's of the test panel still looks good.
BTW do you have a pick of your Z to show?

Craig

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 02:59 PM

cheep?

Hi I'm new on here and just like to say hi. Also I have been looking into using this paint.
I'm not sure why every one seems to think its so cheep. Now I know auto paint costs a lot. But at $22.00 per Qt plus tax that's $100.00 per Gal.
I have a 12 foot cargo trailer I want to paint and I called Duplicolor and they say,,"as I thought" it would take about a Gal to cover it. And that's one coat. Some of the colors need at least two coats. "Myself I would never do less than two but better if three"
One coat primer $100.00 two coats paint $200.00 then the clear. Again at least two coats $200.00. ($500.00 just for the paint?) That's cheep?
Old 11-11-2008, 03:09 PM

ohhh ya!!

I forgot to say. I talked to two guys that paint cars about this stuff, they both did the same thing. looked at me like i was a bit off, then said no don't use that, I will help you get some paint.
Any ways, good luck painting I'm still existed about doing the job.
My one guy said get $100.00 & he would get me the color, not primer too
Old 11-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

I agree.....A good single stage paint is only about 100 a gal.....plus the reducer and hardener of course.....and theres no need for a clear.

Lacquer is a old outdated system.....why buy a 92' Taurus when you can get a 06 Vette for less?
Old 11-15-2008, 10:30 PM

lacquer paint

This is a forum for all of us to learn or to teach so when someone like "chevy" asks for help in doing an economical paint job -even a lacquer one - it is ok to suggest alternatives but if he wants lacquer and you indeed do have the experience that you claim to have and can help then help him do the best lacquer job he is capable of. The hot rod hobby allows us to express ourselves and learn new skills, insisting on doing things one way -your way- is not helpful. Newbe amateurs cannot afford the protective devices necessary to spray isocyanates nor should they expose themselves to those paints. Even California allows the use of the new lacquer paints that apparently meet their standards, this allows new painters to paint their cars with a user friendly system and when they get better and want to move on to the new paints, good deal! Anybody remember their first paint job?Millions of cars were painted with lacquer for many years and those paint jobs lasted for years, if your lacquer jobs only lasted 2 years you did a number of things wrong! Lighten up.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:01 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert
This is a forum for all of us to learn or to teach so when someone like "chevy" asks for help in doing an economical paint job -even a lacquer one - it is ok to suggest alternatives but if he wants lacquer and you indeed do have the experience that you claim to have and can help then help him do the best lacquer job he is capable of. The hot rod hobby allows us to express ourselves and learn new skills, insisting on doing things one way -your way- is not helpful. Newbe amateurs cannot afford the protective devices necessary to spray isocyanates nor should they expose themselves to those paints. Even California allows the use of the new lacquer paints that apparently meet their standards, this allows new painters to paint their cars with a user friendly system and when they get better and want to move on to the new paints, good deal! Anybody remember their first paint job?Millions of cars were painted with lacquer for many years and those paint jobs lasted for years, if your lacquer jobs only lasted 2 years you did a number of things wrong! Lighten up.

Asking for help? There is a heck of a lot of difference between asking for help and someone, who clearly has limited experience, coming here and saying that this particular product is a good cheap way to paint a car and insisting that it is somehow different and better than lacquer from years past. The point you make is a good one however Lacquer has such a bad reputation, and no it is not because EVERYONE does it wrong, that a lot of people here feel a warning is in order so the "newbes" will know exactly what they are getting into. Whenever someone with limited experience comes here and starts pushing something as bad as lacquer when there are clearly better alternatives then the new guys need to hear the other side from those with experience. Some of the guys who spoke up about this stuff are professionals with many years of doing both custom and collision work going back to the days when lacquer was common, they know very well how to use it and they are well aware of it's drawbacks. Lacquer is old outdated technology and it is as bad as everyone has said so there is not a darn thing wrong with someone speaking up about the proven pitfalls of using this stuff and pointing out that there are better cheaper ways of painting a car. If you want to use it fine no one is telling you or anyone else not to they are just passing on a warning about what will happen if you do. If you choose to ignore that or just refuse to believe it that is entirely up to you and if you want to come here and brag on the stuff and show a successful job using it then that's fine also but don't scold the pros for warning others by giving their opinion based past experience with this product.

Last edited by oldred; 11-16-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:01 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Lacquer is not bad, it is just outdated and there are now cheaper/ better products.. it's in a diffrent class than say, a rustoleum paint job.. but closer to an economy job.. still bad, but not as bad..

saying it's bad because it's outdated would be wrong. because there was a time it was considered good, even tho it's no longer good compared to the newer stuff or even products made in the last 20 years... if outdated was bad we would all be driving new Honda's
Old 11-16-2008, 05:15 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Quote:
saying it's bad because it's outdated would be wrong. because there was a time it was considered good, even tho it's no longer good compared to the newer stuff or even products made in the last 20 years... if outdated was bad we would all be driving new Honda's
There are a lot of things that are outdated that people change. Bias-Ply tires used to be the norm. There were drum brakes on all 4 wheels for many years. People were happy just to have a car to drive, and didn't even notice that the body panels didn't line up worth a crap. We used to only paint the damaged panel when they were repaired, and no one cared that the paint didn't match exactly or that the panels weren't lazer straight. A complete paint job could be had for less than $30 at Earl Scheib.

Yes.... Lacquer wa used for many years. People just accepted that it was going to fade, and would need to be waxed often to keep any kind of shine. The "Show Cars" were kept inside to prevent the break-down of the paint.

Now people will spend hundreds, and even thousands of hours working to make their car straight, and the panels lined up just right, before applying the paint. There is no reasonable reason to apply the paint that will not hold up. People come here for advise on how to do a paint job that not only will look good, but also to last. I doubt that there are many people that come here looking for advise that have unlimited budgets. If someone wants to use that stuff, they should have the information available to them of why they shouldn't, as much as how to do it.

It sure seems like someone is always pulling something like this back up just to cause an arguement.

Aaron
Old 11-16-2008, 05:46 PM

Last photo:

No one said lacquer would not work, just that it does not last long and there are better alternatives that were not available in lacquer's hay-day. The problem here was that this "dupli-Color" was being pushed as an economical way to paint a car for those on a budget and that it was somehow better than the old lacquer, neither is true. Pointing at the price of a quart of this stuff as it is sold as an example of how economical it can be is extremely misleading because of it being sold pre-thinned in a RTS form. This ignores just how much it will actually cost to do an entire vehicle because a quart of RTS does not go very far and thus will take many more quarts than the way paint is normally sold. Then to claim that it is going to be durable (and even probably more so than the old lacquer) is also mis-leading because there is nothing to base these claims on and in fact past experience by people who have used Lacquer overwhelming indicates that it will not be durable at all. So should everyone who knows better just sit back and be polite and let this mis-information be passed on without saying anything? Would that be doing anyone any good? Is it out of line to point out there are better paints to be had for the same or even less money? If someone wants to praise this stuff then go ahead but don't get upset if someone who has had a lot of experience with it tries to point out the well known flaws to it.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:50 PM

Last photo:

I'm not trying to cause an argument.. because I know it makes no sense to use lacquer, when Acrylic enamel or single stage urethane can be had for ( often times ) less money than lacquers.... given the downfalls, and cost disadvantage, it makes no sense to use it.. All I'm pointing out is that it's not nessasarly a bad product, but a severley outdated product.

you could point it to bias ply tires, and drum brakes too... there not nessasarly bad but they are outdated.. they were once considered good... inferior today yes, but that does not make them bad... that's the only point I'm trying to make...

And I would agree. Lacquers downfalls should be known.

Last edited by matt167; 11-16-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Truck.
Last photo:

Its a waist of time to talk about it!! Know one is open minded, There set in there ways. A good beat down is what you will get!

I will say I tried it! More than anyone else can say! The thing is when you talking about Lacquers today there a new mix on an old school product. There are a couple of company's selling the higher end lacquers on ebay. The paint got good comments So not everyone is stuck in the mud. HEHE!

Craig
Old 11-18-2008, 02:49 PM

Last photo:

If they sell it on E-Bay then it MUST be good high end stuff!
Old 11-18-2008, 03:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
If they sell it on E-Bay then it MUST be good high end stuff!
on the topic of Ebay paint.. I was at the syracuse nationals earlier in the summer... and there was a booth for " the number 1 auto paint seller on Ebay ".... and I went and looked, and it was like $50 a gallon with 12 colors to choose from.. but the paint can labels were actully printed off a computer and taped on.. I really, really wonder where that paint came from
Old 11-19-2008, 12:08 AM

lacquer paint

Ol red you just can't help yourself can you! I neither brag nor scold. For those of you who would like to learn how to paint your car lacquer is a good choice if it is allowed in your area. 1. Millions of cars were painted using lacquer for decades by the manufacturers those paints lasted for many years,you will find little evidence that they cracked, faded or failed prematurely. those cars you see with flaking white deposits on the hood,top or trunk are not lacquer-they are BC?CC! 2. If someone starts his reply with " I have 30 yrs experience" move on, if someone says "just to start an arguement" " you're dumb enough" " total bonehead" "people like you are stupid" "only an idiot"move on, you will glean little useful info from them. 3. these"old pros" are the same guys who resisted HVLP guns, urethane paints and still resist waterborne paints, now the lacquer they had embraced is "junk". 4. In fact, for beginers, lacquer is easy to use, very forgiving and most of all SAFER for you to use. 5. The old pros simply ignore isocyanates, that is iresponsible! Look up "paint fumes" by MartinSR or go to www.chevelles.com/forums/show thread.php?f=10397 this should be required reading before you decide to paint your own car!
Old 11-19-2008, 12:37 AM

Last photo:

So what do you think happens when someone paints their vehicle with lacquer in 5 years when it needs a repaint? Strip all that paint off again, or risk having your new paint wrinkle?

Or, maybe just keep piling the lacquer on there?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.