Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Dupli Color Paint Shop auto paint Lacquer
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 10:54 AM
One hand clapping.

Last journal entry: Baby Steps
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkagain
The opinion of the body shop pro's about PAINT SHOP lacquer carries weight. But please, give us some specifics about why you reject the paint. It's not enough just to say..."lacquer sucks" or "we tried it and threw out the left over (Jeff)."

What EXACTLY is the problem with this paint? The application process? The finish? The consistency? The durability? Let us in on the secret, folks. Some detail (and hard evidence) would help alleviate the lingering doubt that the body shop pro's have a dog in the fight against the do-it-yourselfers.
As I've said before, I'm not a pro. I'm a cheapskate who hates to waste money. I'll use an analogy: Sliced Bread paint company comes out with a sprayable exterior latex house paint. The demo shows that it sprays on easy and it looks just as good as the best latex you can buy. Only difference is that it's half water. They've thinned the paint for you and charged the same price -- OK, they're 15% cheaper.

Let's say I want to put 4 coats of primer on my ready-to-paint car (holes and dents filled, everything as straight as I can get it). My rule of thumb is that it takes one quart of sprayable paint per coat.

Examples:

1. Summit Racing
http://www.summitracing.com/checkout/cart.aspx

$ 79.80 4 quarts Duplicolor lacquer primer @ $19.95
9.95 Ground shipping - 1 week?
$ 89.75

2. Southern Polyurethanes Inc. (SPI) http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/Pricing%20Info.htm

$ 29.30 Quart of epoxy primer
29.30 Quart of activator
31.70 Gallon of reducer
0.00 2-day shipping
$ 90.30

For 55-cents I receive two extra quarts of reducer for gun cleaning.

Of course reducing SPI's epoxy primer 100% goes against all advice and is something I wouldn't do but I'm pretty sure it would have the same build and film thickness as the DupliColor lacquer primer.

If you really believe 4 coats of thinned lacquer primer is as good as 2 coats of SPI epoxy you should go with the thinned lacquer and save the 55-cents (put it toward some lacquer thinner).