Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Dupli Color Paint Shop auto paint Lacquer
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 09:25 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Calling all newbies, avid painters, pro's, and doubtfuls.

I started painting about eight years ago and started using cheap products, short cuts, cheap paint, etc. I now am an Autobody shop manager where we use top products like House of Colors, PPG, Sikkens, Transtar, etc. A painter of mine and I decided to go to the local Farm and Fleet and buy 3 cans of this, the primer, the red, and the clear. We recently just used it(not for a customers car) and I can say without a doubt that any remaining product that was left over was quickly thrown away. Did not like it and did not cover well, and as the PRO's said....its lacquer...

To everyone looking to DIY(do it yourself) paint job. Go to an actual body shop supply company, be honest with them that you are looking for a LESS expensive product than the PPG, House of Colors, etc. Let them know you are a do it yourself project that you are working on. Look into what they have to offer...Keystone, Omni, Shopline,etc. These are products that are less expensive and still good products.

Ask yourself the question. Why am I going to all this trouble to fix rust, or do body work, spend my weekends working on a car(which upset the wife) to put junk laquer paint on my weekend pride and joy. Everyone even a amateur car hobbyist takes pride in the car and call it their baby....DO you feed your actual baby low end food...or junk food...No.

Now...yes the product works, it is easy to use, you dont have to mix(because its so difficult to mix paint 2:1:1 or 4:1) but if you are going to put forth the effort put forth a little bit of extra cash.

Thats my two cents you can argue with me but I'm not going to argue back. I know what works and what doesnt, I just trying to save some DIY's some mone and time in the long run.

Jeff