Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Dupli color ready mixed lacquer (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/dupli-color-ready-mixed-lacquer-229312.html)

paintbrush 02-08-2013 05:13 PM

Dupli color ready mixed lacquer

I recently tried shooting their product and it went down like any other bc/cc
I've ever put down, (own my own shop and have done 100's of bikes, jetskis, cars etc) STAY AWAY from dupli color clear as it will not hold up to ANY spillage of gas, even for a second... use a two part clear, and you'll save yourself money on the color coat, @ 25.00 quart thats cheap.

MARTINSR 02-08-2013 05:36 PM

When the two stage systems really came on in the early 90's that's exactly what it was Lacquer color with urethane clear. The first one I believe was the Dupont 580S (?) and was a real nice system to work with.

Brian

Larry123 02-08-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 1644126)
When the two stage systems really came on in the early 90's that's exactly what it was Lacquer color with urethane clear. The first one I believe was the Dupont 580S (?) and was a real nice system to work with.

Brian

Brian, you mean I can put urethane clear over lacquer! i finally have use for all that 30 yr old paint in my garage. i knew I was keeping it for something.

MARTINSR 02-09-2013 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry123 (Post 1644197)
Brian, you mean I can put urethane clear over lacquer! i finally have use for all that 30 yr old paint in my garage. i knew I was keeping it for something.

But again, exactly how you do it, I don't remember any differences in the paint, I know we didn't sand it, should it be sanded? Without following at tech sheet, sometimes it's a gamble.

Brian

69 widetrack 02-09-2013 10:44 AM

Brian, your right about the first base coat systems in North America being a lacquer base, however, the Europeans (Sikkens, Spies Hecker, Glaseruit etc.) had been using true base coat systems for about a decade or more before the North American paint manufacturers tried to catch up...Dupont came out with a Lacquer Base coat system called Hi Tech if I'm correct. CIL's base coat system was called...believe it or not...2K and so on. The Evolution of base coat in North America happened when companies would buy into each other to gain North American market share...ICI bought CIL's automotive paint line...Glaseruit bought into RM and later in the 90's Spies Hecker bought into Dupont (or vise a versa). The lacquer systems did not require the base to be sanded before top coating with a Urethane 2K clear (it would have been impossible to paint a BC/CC metallic if it would have to be sanded between base and clear).

This is what I remember of the history of Base Coat in North America and how difficult it was to represent a North American (makeshift) base coat system in the late 80's and 90's against some of the European manufacturer's truer base coats.

Ray