Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Dupont 202-83427 aka Pine Ridge Green
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59RAMBLERSUPERWAGON View Post
Ok Ray, got it, what do you know about industrial paint? I was talking to a paint guy about my project and he suggested either industrial paint, or the paint they use on semi trucks.

again I am just trying to sort out information from various sources.

also what is the most cost effective method for removing really old bondo

Next what grit should I use when I start stripping the old paint from the body?
Well, industrial paint or Semi Truck paint is a bit different depending on what brand and product you use. If your on a budget, you may need to rule this product out especially Dupont's Imron, pricey and you need to understand the technique to apply it to get even colour when spraying metallics. PPG does have a product, (in Canada where I'm from it's called Essential) it's cost effective but only available in single stage. Tough product, good gloss and relatively easy to apply. I still believe that automotive base clear would be the way to go. If your looking at a straight industrial paint, it may be difficult to get colour match or even something close to your original colour.

As far as how to remove old bondo, Depending on the tools you have at your disposal, I would recommend cutting it out with a dual action (DA) orbital and 40 grit paper. Set your DA to the position where the pad is turning, not turning and vibrating. In the creases and hard to get at areas, use a firm bristled wire wheel. That should do the job.

To strip old paint from your car, if your using sand paper, use 80 grit on a dual action orbital. Again set it so the pad is only spinning. Keep moving the sander, don't leave it in one spot to long, that way you will avoid heating up a panel and warping it.

Any other questions, fire away.