Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Dupont 202-83427 aka Pine Ridge Green
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59RAMBLERSUPERWAGON View Post
I have a
Campbell Hausfeld Rugged Duty Dual Action Sander: PL1504 Air Sander

I picked it up at a yard sale like a year or two ago and never have used it, its almost brand new. I just need to change the air nipple on it so it matches my air hoses.

and I do have an angle grinder, I was going to pick up a couple knotted wire wheels thinking that that may be the best way to get rid of the bondo.

Ok so on the sanding side of things on an old station wagon, how many sticky sand paper disks should I buy? and how often should I change them?
Nova freak is right, a DA does take an awful lot of air, check the cfm (Cubic Feet per Minute) that your compressor puts out. This is also important when it comes to painting. A paint gun will use as much or more air than your sander.

As far as how many sticky papers you need, I don't know, how much bondo is on your car, how many times has it been painted, is the original paint still on it and is it lacquer. As Nova freak said another option is using air craft stripper, messy, stinky and can burn your skin if you don't use gloves, but it'll strip the paint off your car fairly fast. It'll cost anywhere between $35 and $50 a gallon for quality stripper, but, when quality sticky papers cost 70 cents to a $1.00 a piece or more, you need to way out your options. If the car has a lot of old paint on it, stripper can get expensive, because, it often only takes one layer off at a time. Try a couple of sticky papers first, try a couple of small areas first. If you have only one layer of paint, it may be cheaper to use stripper, multiple layers sand paper may be your best option. Every car is different, substrates are different. I've had cars in front of me and had to analyse the situation carefully as which method would be most cost effective.

Knotted wire wheels, sure give it a shot. If the filler in your car is old style filler, be prepared for a very hard filler. The old stuff (like White Lightning) sanded like concrete. You may need to get more aggressive than a wire wheel depending on what's in there. Many times working on an older car is like asking somebody "how long is the string in your pocket" nobody can really tell until he shows your the string. Cars, you just don't know until you get into it. Lots of variables, but, that's kinda what makes it fun and that's another reason why you take pictures, not just to show the finished product, but to show all the effort it took to get there.