Dupont Clear over metallic base - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2005, 06:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Dupont Clear over metallic base

Had a vet painted with metallic base w/4 coats of clearcoat. The painter decided it needed to be detailed w/flames...[gold leaf paint] same as used on fire truck lettering..The painter is a friend.....He says it has to be repainted in total to fix it...Another painter says use Easy Off oven cleaner to remove the paint. This method took some off but not all of it...Didn't harm the clearcoat either...Yet....Any of you out there have any sugestions for this screw up. This was a $5000.00 paint job

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2005, 07:47 PM

Did he flame it and mess it up and now you need to take the flames off?? .
Old 03-31-2005, 08:30 PM

Last journal entry: "Z" construction
Last photo:

I take old fire truck lettering (gold leaf / black outline in enamel usually) off with a combination of easy-off and rubbing compound. BUT, YOU HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL. If you take your time and are VERY careful it will come off. It may leave a little ''ghost" of the flame job though. When you rub the lettering you will be rubbing the lettering and the clear coat @ he same time. This may remove a slight amount of the clear around the flame design as you rub leaving a slightly raised flame pattern on the paint in the clear. If your fortunate enough to have enough clear you may be able to block that ghost pattern out, then bluff it. Just take each step slow and be careful to NOT break through the clear.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Have Gun, Will Paint

With 4 coats of clear you may be safe to cut (wetsand) the flames off and buff, but then again you don't know how much of that clear got cut off when it was first buffed.....If you can get a hold on your painter, I would ask him for advice on how to fix it. He should know if there is enough clear left to recut and buff, or give you another idea for a the fix

good luck
Old 04-01-2005, 09:05 PM

Thanks guys..I found some paint remover that supposed to take off road marking paint that won't harm finishes...As far as the painter goes...the added touchs were done for his benefit, not mine..He thought I would like it..We have been friends for some time....I would have to decide what a friendship is worth..He was going to airbrush a hooker leaning against a lamp post on the hood....I warned him not to do that...didn't think it fit my conservative way of thinking
Old 04-01-2005, 09:16 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Tell you right now.
IF I even thought of doing a graphic of ANY sort on a vehicle,It would be DISCUSSED WITH THE OWNER FIRST...
I'll do a few "minor" things to upgrade something but something of ANY size is to be known upfront.

Not everyone has the same taste and the person driving it WILL decide. Weather or not I like it.

I believe you'll be safe with a color sand of the clear with some 1000 wet first to get an idea of the depth the gold went into it. That will give you a safe feel of the clear and just be on the look out for colored water.Which I don't think you'll see. Think positive. And go light.
That road paint is strong stuff so I'd be carefull with whatever you got to remove it with.

Last edited by Bee4Me; 04-01-2005 at 09:24 PM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.