Hot Rod Forum banner

Dupont Nasson Chassis Black

25K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  BrandonMiller 
#1 ·
Does Dupont Nasson 422-05 Chassis Black require a primer over a freshly sandblasted frame? :confused:

Thanks in advance
Ray

#5 ·
shoddy_f-body said:
That stuff is not very durable.
What else is out there? I've did a search here and found many different ways of painting mentioned by some of the forum members, but the discussion just jumps around too much from one brand to another.

My original idea was to powdercoat the frame, but my powder coater will not do it as the inside of my 96 Impala SS frame is treated with this "black waxy" stuff and it's almost impossible to remove without having the frame dipped. He says, when the frame is brought up to tempatature the wax will melt and ruin the coating. I just cannot find a place here in VA/DC/MD area that can dip the frame.

FYI, my frame is completely sandblasted minus the inside of the frame rails.

Thanks
Ray

#8 ·
Actually, It works better over clean bare metal. I've sprayed gallons of it and used no primer for a lot of different projects with excellent results. It's really designed for abuse and main reason it's SO thin so's to spray into tight areas regular paints won't.
You let this paint dry properly,as it is an enamel,and it will hang with the best.
Really comes down to how "important" the project finish is and what you expect.

#10 ·
Countilaw said:
The most durable paint that I've found for frames and that can be applied directly on bare metal is POR-15

Frank
Standard POR-15 or POR-15 CHASSISCOAT BLACK™?

On another project I tried the standard POR-15 on a non-rusted part and it flaked off after time. I guess it needs the "rust" to get a good bite in the substrate. No experience with the chassis stuff, but would like to here some experience if anyone on this forum has tried it.

Ray

#12 ·
Check out Masterseries Primer and Chassis Coating... www.masterseriesct.com

Currently doing my 64 Volkswagen project. This stuff is great! I was going to go with POR-15 but had heard way too many bad experiences.

2 coats of the silver primer and one coat of the chassis black and you are good to go. You can even roll it on with a foam roller or a foam brush and it will self level leaving no streaks. Price is fantastic as well! Good Luck

From their website...

Two coats of the MasterSeries Permanent Rust Sealer Primer and one coat of AG 111 will withstand 14,000 hours of salt spray! AG 111 is also one of the most powerful anti-chemical coating systems available. AG 111 will withstand 90 days immersion in acetone.

#15 ·
Krmnnghia said:
Check out Masterseries Primer and Chassis Coating... www.masterseriesct.com

Currently doing my 64 Volkswagen project. This stuff is great! I was going to go with POR-15 but had heard way too many bad experiences.

2 coats of the silver primer and one coat of the chassis black and you are good to go. You can even roll it on with a foam roller or a foam brush and it will self level leaving no streaks. Price is fantastic as well! Good Luck

From their website...
I hear MasterSeries is good stuff for the price. I've heard the same from the VW guys whom have their share of rust problems, they say POR-15 isn't great on clean surfaces.

#17 ·
ok so I have just bought a gallon of this stuff, my frame is clean, but it can only get so clean since it is a 62' and the inside of the frame is covered in what appears to be surface rust. Just the same, going nuts on the outside of the frame doesn't make too much sense since I can't make the inside match.

For the record this is a rockcrawler rig, so I don't think ANY paint will really hold up so I am more interested in being able to touch up if necessary.

The real reason for this post is that I have the chassis black and wasn't sure what to put under it. I have some unused epoxy primer and some chrome free etch primer. Which should I use if either? I'll be using it on the frame, suspension, and axle's.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.