Thread: Dupont Paint
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2005, 04:39 PM
36 Dream

Last journal entry: The fire...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dupont Paint

OK....I know little about paint....but again it's not my business. However, would anyone agree that I as many other fellow rodders paying hundreds of dollars for quality paint have a right to expect an expert knowledge base at the local paint store that represents the Paint store?....I mean to some degree is that not a part of the price we're paying for high end performance paints?
Having done my home work on the best approach to painting my new TCI chassis, I decided on Dupont, self-etch Vari-primer, 2K urethane primer-sealer, and chroma base one topcoat.
I get to the paint store and am effectively talked out of my plan because as advised by the "STORE EXPERT".....self etch is old school and today's products are better. It was recommended that I go with a DTM Epoxy Primer-Sealer pre-ceeded with Prep-sol, sanding, and Final Klean. This sounded good as from my research the DTM's are good products. It was also recommended that I use a FUL-THANE 400X Urethane as a topcoat. In as much as this is a factory packaged product available in many colors without signifcant cost upgrade, I jumped on a great Gunmetal color.
I get home only to discover that the tech sheet for the topcoat does not mention the DTM Epoxy as a recommended primer.
OK....Can someone straighten me out....Wil the topcoat work with the DTM Epoxy in spite of the tech sheet or have I been mis-guided by the Dupont rep?
Tip: When buying paint, place a sticky note on your forehead that reads, please mix paint, so that I won't blow the day sanding and preping only to find my paint has not been mixed....