dura-block 007 paint gun - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2010, 10:05 PM
body and paint guy

Last journal entry: delivered
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

haven't seen this gun used for a long time . i acctually traded mine in on an iwata lph 400 before i even used it. sometimes tring to make a gun do too much becomes a problem.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

Also, nice to see you here Craig! Im a big fan and (a failed) student of your work.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:17 PM

a novice review

Im a novice painter but I have the 007 as my first gun. I recently started college and I will keep you guys updated on my findings with my gun as I progress and get more experience with it.

First off, The 007 is a neat gun and will deffinatly stand out. Everyone in my class is shooting with either Sharpe Razors or Devilbiss CVI's, I decided to throw a wrench in the works and go against the grain and buy a 007.

First impression of the gun, the anodized finish is nice and gives the gun a quality look and feel. The 007 is designed to fit nicely in the users hands, I have medium sized hands and its a fair fit. People with larger hands will get a better grip on the gun. The design of the fluid and air control knobs are actually nice in a few different ways. The gun is designed so you cannot back the needles all the way out by just twisting the control knobs, they go out to full open and stop, to back them all the way out and remove them you need a screw driver. A second nice feature of the knob design, if you are used to pulling the trigger with your thumb when spraying roofs, you will be pleased with the firm grip you can get on the gun by placing your index finger between the two knobs (without worry of messing up the adjustment).

Gun balance and weight is nice. I had no signs of fatigue in my arm after 3 hours of holding and spraying. The only dislike I had was the gun is slightly off balance for shooting surfaces like roofs, but that could have been from the adapters needed for the regulator. I am going to try a green zone regulator this week possibly to see if that helps with the balance.

The interchangeable heads are more of a hassle than advertised, and the "7 second quick change" is a myth. you will spend a solid 30 seconds-minute just getting the threads lined up so you can tighten it down, even then its easy to miss thread and have to re-align it again. I was nervous about air leaking from the attachment point, but so far there has been none.

The special "swivel attachment" serves no purpose since most shops are converting to a bagged paint system, neat idea but obsolete now.

The gun comes with its own air regulator, in my limited experience with it I came to realise the dial read out is confusing and way to small to get an accurate read out, your best off tossing it in the spare parts bin and buy a real one with a better gauge.

I did notice the paint draw isnt as strong as that of the devilbiss or sharpe guns. One of the steps in a bagged paint system is to purge the bag of air by flipping it upside down and spraying out the air until you get a consistant spray. The 007 had to be cranked up to 35 psi to get enough draw to purge the bag. Is that a bad thing? I am not sure about that. My lab partner and I were given the same amount of paint and I soon noticed that the 007 spayed for about 10 minutes longer on 1 quart of paint vs the CVI, he was spraying on a 1.3 tip while i was on a 1.4. But he may have had his gun set to a higher fluid flow.

My biggest complain about the 007 was the width of the fan pattern on a thicker material. I was hitting at about a 7 inch wide pattern and couldnt adjust it much past that. Im hopeing with a better regulator I can fine tune the gun even better.

My experience so far with the gun has been spraying 1 hour of water and about 1-2 hours of paint for a vinly top. although there was no real way to judge the quality of spray and transfer efficency, I would like to note I only had 1 run in the job (the hose got hung up and i forgot to let off the trigger before it was to late). This gun seems to be very user friendly and pretty forgiving.

Overall I am very pleased with the gun, but until I have a chance to shoot a flat vertical panel, I will not be able to toss up a solid review on the spray quality.

I will keep this thread updated since theres a lot of interest in the gun, just theres no information on the gun and almost no reviews.

Last edited by detroitiron; 09-15-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:27 PM

Today I got more spray time with the gun. In my last post I said i was spraying with the 1.4, i checked and that was wrong. I was originally spraying with the 1.3 head.

So today I tried with the 1.4 head on the same settings as before, It made a world of difference, that pattern was nice and wide, about 10 inches making the 50/50 overlap a breese, with great transfer and minimal over spray.

We had a class activity where 2 guns were set up so everyone got a chance to spray to compair the feel of different guns. We had the 007 set up against a Sharpe Razor. Most everyone in the class is relatively new to spraying. It was soon apparent that the 007 was more user friendly towards new users compaired to the razor. Where people were getting runs on the sharpe, the 007 was laying nice even coats at all spray styles and speeds.

One thing I really liked with the 007 vs the razor. Both guns were adjusted at the same half air/half fluid levels, with the razor the trigger still pulled all the way back. with the 007 the fluid adjust actually adjusted how far back the trigger can be pulled. so a half needle setting equated out to being able to spray with a short pull back of the trigger, making the quick on, quick off even quicker when moving the gun to a new over lap line.

The biggest complaint about the 007 today was the cleaning, You have to take extra steps to get the gun head fully cleaned out, and theres a lot of small spots that old paint or old cleaning residue can pool. I found out the hard way when i pulled the gun out of the case today and the hidden solvents leaked out and "melted" the foam from the case on to the gun.

The regulator that comes with the kit like i stated before is junk, you dont get an accurate psi reading. After switching the the sharpe green zone regulator the guns performance really shined thru and the balance of the gun really came back evenly and nicely.

The factory recomended psi rating of 29 was right on the money with gun set up.

Overall everyone that got to use my 007 today seemed to be very pleased with it. I still have yet to test it on a large flat panel to get an idea of how smooth of a finish it can lay down, but from the small test sheet i sprayed the paint went on nice. I will continue to update everyone on how the gun performs when i get more use out of it.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

Well done. Great info.

As far as the cleaning, that same thing happened to me. lol Melted my perty foam in my perty case. But really, I didnt notice cleaning that gun any harder than any other. I use the squirt bottle method though. ?

After spraying for an extended periods of time, did you ever notice any paint buildup on the air cap?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327amc
Well done. Great info.

As far as the cleaning, that same thing happened to me. lol Melted my perty foam in my perty case. But really, I didnt notice cleaning that gun any harder than any other. I use the squirt bottle method though. ?

After spraying for an extended periods of time, did you ever notice any paint buildup on the air cap?
Im thinking next time before i run the gun through the auto gun wash I will adjust the fluid knob to full open and see if that will clear things up better.

As for the fluid build up, None so far. 2 Days ago when my gun became the class test mule so everyone got a chance to get a feeling for a gun spraying real paints, it got to see many different spray techniques, from horrible to amazing and never acted like it wanted build up/clog or anything while still laying down a respectable coat of paint.

The one noticeable flaw though is theres a light vibration inside of the gun, might be I didnt tighten down something during the last tear down. It was nothing that interfered with how it sprayed.

This is only the second time this gun has been used though. I purchased it in 08 and its been on the shelf for 2 years.

How are you liking your gun? it sounds like you have had a decent amount of time behind the trigger. any major likes/dislikes with the gun?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.